What the deuce....STILL NO US DATE OR PRICE?

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
We know training is still scrambling to happen in the US across carriers. That's going to be a problem as reps continually steer customers to what they know and what they can make a commission off of - Android. The Lumia's US software is still "pre-release" and "not final", yet the 8X's is finished? Products will dribble into stores across three US carriers from the 14th until December? Huge opportunity missed as lots of holiday contract renewals have already been snapped up by Galaxy S3, iPhone 5, and Galaxy Note II.

Hopefully with all this training lead time, the reps will be as good as the reps for the Surface RT. At least where I was, the reps did a reasonably good job showing all the features of the Surface RT and seemed pretty knowledgeable. (Although I did not ask a lot of questions - I was more like, "Here's my money already!!!")

dmcneil330

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully with all this training lead time, the reps will be as good as the reps for the Surface RT. At least where I was, the reps did a reasonably good job showing all the features of the Surface RT and seemed pretty knowledgeable. (Although I did not ask a lot of questions - I was more like, "Here's my money already!!!")

I'm okay with training but i don't accept that as a reason to not release the device. Training is for sales people whose jobs are to inform customers of each device's capabilities. What about those of us who already know what we want? Should we have to wait for sales people we won't even have to talk to to be up to date on something we've already decided?

If training is the sole reason why they aren't releasing then i call BS b/c they can release it for online pre-order or at least give a date for release so the people who are already informed and have their minds made up can pre-order and have their devices shipped to them as quickly as possible.

This will help get the devices out so undecided people will see people who have decided using the phones thereby making everyone WP user a sales person/promotional opportunity. Word of mouth is how this needs to be spread not through marketing and advertising. Get the people the devices so we can tell our friends it's actually worth their time. I'm pretty sure more people are likely to do something b/c their friends suggested it than because a sales person said "it can take pictures really well"

myonlyclone

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What I Heard

I'm going to chime in with absolutely no credibility at all in these forums.

I spoke with my AT&T rep today and she said what she is hearing internally is that the delays in communication and distribution are being blamed on the mess in the Northeast. She said she had several preorder/demo devices that we're due on Monday and got held till tomorrow. If this is true, it is possible that AT&T was set to announce something on Monday and held their plans due to distribution issues over the next few days (i.e. demo handsets can't even get to the reps and stores for training).

Anyhow, that's what my conversation amounted to with her. And she's always been a reliable source.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I canceled my 920 preorder from Best Buy because of the lack of hard evidence that it will actually be released soon. And if they are truly having a separate marketplace for Windows RT/windows 8/windows phone 8 applications then I'm having serious reservations about buying anything. ****, even apple got this right, and I f'ing hate iTunes, I am NOT going to pay for an app twice that supposedly can run on all devices the same.

DanteintheDark

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I canceled my 920 preorder from Best Buy because of the lack of hard evidence that it will actually be released soon. And if they are truly having a separate marketplace for Windows RT/windows 8/windows phone 8 applications then I'm having serious reservations about buying anything. ****, even apple got this right, and I f'ing hate iTunes, I am NOT going to pay for an app twice that supposedly can run on all devices the same.

For the record, while apple may have one "marketplace," if an app is purchased for iPad, it doesn't work on OSX or iPhone. Same goes for an OSX app, it wouldn't work on iPhone or iPad and you'd have to repurchase what is essentially the same app. The only configuration that does work is that a purchase on the iPhone will technically play on the iPad but, trust me, going from an iPhone app to a retina iPad looks horrendous and you'll end up buying both versions. I know because I own all of these devices.

I don't agree with it much more than you do, but the fact remains that some portion of these apps end up getting redesigned to work on each device (different system architecture/different resolutions/whatever). This costs the developer money, so I can see why they'd expect you to pay more (not saying I agree). My bigger issue is with the costs of windows apps versus IOS/Android apps... it's outrageous!

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Not sure what you mean by Apple got it right... I purchased an app on my iPad and lo and behold, it was the iPhone version (which is either tiny small or super ugly when blown up). I then bought the iPad version. I was charged twice. I think Microsoft is superior because you can't install/buy the "wrong" version on your device.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This is dependent on the app developer, not Apple. An app marked as "Universal" contains both iPhone and iPad versions, so you only buy it once. An iPhone only app will work on an iPad in either 1x or 2x size. Some iPhone only apps still look great on an iPad at 2x; it depends on the app. An iPad only app is iPad only. But most popular apps are sold and labeled as "Universal".

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I spoke with my AT&T rep today and she said what she is hearing internally is that the delays in communication and distribution are being blamed on the mess in the Northeast. She said she had several preorder/demo devices that we're due on Monday and got held till tomorrow. If this is true, it is possible that AT&T was set to announce something on Monday and held their plans due to distribution issues over the next few days (i.e. demo handsets can't even get to the reps and stores for training).

Anyhow, that's what my conversation amounted to with her. And she's always been a reliable source.

Plausible. I know most of the NE hubs were shut down completely. Nothing in or out. Better to have a delayed phone than have people hurt in a storm because I wanted my 920.

Although, forgive me for my ignorance, where are Nokia phones manufactured? Coming from Asia, I would imagine they would come through the west coast... Europe would be the east.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

This certainly makes sense. I also started thinking tonight that a possible delay could be due to the iPad mini reviews. Perhaps Nokia and AT&T were afraid that with so much going on at the beginning of the week (Windows 8,WP8, iPad mini, Google's announcement) they wouldn't get enough time to be in the press. They could be waiting until that dies down and announce it later in the week with availability very close.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought about the weather being the holdup, but Lumia 920s with "pre-release" software are going out to reviewers left and right. And HTC 8X's - which we would be subject to the same holdup - are being reviewed with finished software left and right despite not having a much more distinct release window than the 920. (Only T-Mobile has a concrete date, I believe).

unboxfetish

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
The 920 was already delayed, supposedly to an official launch on 11/11.

Are you saying that because of the storm, someone at AT&T is telling you that there will be more delays? Delays with in-store demos only or with stock, deliveries, and preorders too?

Makes me wonder exactly how many boats and how much commerce is being held up by freak weather.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The fact is, you can buy an app once, and it works on multiple platforms with iOS. Not OSX maybe (I don't have that platform), but certainly iPad and iPhone. You may not like the way it's displayed for that platform, but it works and works perfectly. No matter how it pains me to say it, again, this is the way it should be.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
For the record, while apple may have one "marketplace," if an app is purchased for iPad, it doesn't work on OSX or iPhone. Same goes for an OSX app, it wouldn't work on iPhone or iPad and you'd have to repurchase what is essentially the same app. The only configuration that does work is that a purchase on the iPhone will technically play on the iPad but, trust me, going from an iPhone app to a retina iPad looks horrendous and you'll end up buying both versions. I know because I own all of these devices.

I don't agree with it much more than you do, but the fact remains that some portion of these apps end up getting redesigned to work on each device (different system architecture/different resolutions/whatever). This costs the developer money, so I can see why they'd expect you to pay more (not saying I agree). My bigger issue is with the costs of windows apps versus IOS/Android apps... it's outrageous!

At least you can use it on a couple platforms, and I agree, the cost difference for the same app is f'd.

DanteintheDark

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This is dependent on the app developer, not Apple. An app marked as "Universal" contains both iPhone and iPad versions, so you only buy it once. An iPhone only app will work on an iPad in either 1x or 2x size. Some iPhone only apps still look great on an iPad at 2x; it depends on the app. An iPad only app is iPad only. But most popular apps are sold and labeled as "Universal".

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
Great point about the universal apps but there are still a decent amount of popular apps that are still not universal. Apps (games) like Angry Birds, bejeweled, words with friends make you purchase separate versions for the iPhone versions and they're all pretty unplayable at 2x. It is definitely nice that the option is present, nonetheless. It would be nice to see MS, at least, incorporate a similar feature into RT/WP, but maybe the operating systems aren't similar enough to work easily? I don't develop, so I don't know the idiosyncrasies in getting an app to work on both platforms. Seems like there'd be a legitimate reason for keeping the stores separate, but maybe it is simply for extra money.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The fact is, you can buy an app once, and it works on multiple platforms with iOS. Not OSX maybe (I don't have that platform), but certainly iPad and iPhone. You may not like the way it's displayed for that platform, but it works and works perfectly. No matter how it pains me to say it, again, this is the way it should be.

Windows RT shares the same app store as Windows 8. Imagine the cluster-f*ck of a nightmare if they included Windows Phone mobile apps into the app store of a desktop OS.

Imagine the catastrophe and utter confusion that would create. WindowsRT/Windows8 app stores NEED to be separate from WP8's app store.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, the reason iPhone apps work on the iPad is because the iPad is essentially the iPhone blown up to a bigger size. Rather than do that with Windows RT, Microsoft took the reverse approach; they toned down a desktop OS. Metro apps for Windows 8 will work in both the full version and RT version (so for this example, let's say computer and tablet) while Windows Phone is the different one. For Apple, iOS apps work with iPhone/iPad, but not OSX. Both companies have two devices that share apps, and one left out (the difference is the combination). Seems the same to me.

myonlyclone

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Plausible. I know most of the NE hubs were shut down completely. Nothing in or out. Better to have a delayed phone than have people hurt in a storm because I wanted my 920.

Although, forgive me for my ignorance, where are Nokia phones manufactured? Coming from Asia, I would imagine they would come through the west coast... Europe would be the east.
The implication was that it disrupted the release timetable. Basically, they we're going to announce a firm date, but because demo/training devices and general distribution to the and from the NE got held, the whole thing got thrown up in the air.

iphonemilk

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
For the record, while apple may have one "marketplace," if an app is purchased for iPad, it doesn't work on OSX or iPhone.

I have to correct you on this, it DOES.

It's all up to the developer who MADE the app to decide (money wise) if he/she wants for that app to be Universal (+) or not.

Still the option is there, you can't say the option doesn't exist.

Apple DID get this part right.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
The implication was that it disrupted the release timetable. Basically, they we're going to announce a firm date, but because demo/training devices and general distribution to the and from the NE got held, the whole thing got thrown up in the air.

Yeah, I know that... that's why I agreed it was plausible. And then asked where manufacturing took place. :)

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to correct you on this, it DOES.

It's all up to the developer who MADE the app to decide (money wise) if he/she wants for that app to be Universal (+) or not.

Still the option is there, you can't say the option doesn't exist.

Apple DID get this part right.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree, Apple got this exactly right. And I'm not going to f'in buy the SAME application 3 times, for phone, xbox, and desktop of some type. Just ain't gonna happen. I want to stick with Microsoft, but if that isn't 'fixed' it's a huge decision factor for me.

Can any developers comment if that is indeed a possibility with this platform, to 'mark' an application as universal?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05