Lumia availability in germany

fishytank

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was in Flensburg today. 3 shops had it on display, unfortunately sold out all places. Looks like Nokia is onto a winner, in relative terms for a WP.

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a bad feeling that new deliveries will slip, I just hope my spider sense is wrong...

In what German Internet stores is there physical stock of Lumias 920 (any color) ?

Last edited:

illumia

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I also ordered from Germany but from getgoods.de when their prediction was 2-4 days until shipment (for the black one-last week) today the estimation changed to 2-3 weeks!! After contacting them I was told they had a batch delivered today that's preparing for shipping according to date-of-order priority so If I'm not among those lucky ones I'm doomed! I've been waiting for this thing since it was announced, 3 more weeks sounds like a lifetime! Still I won't allow myself to be taken advantage of by Telefrog which sells the device via Amazon.de for 772,01(!!!) Euros. Seriously plus 1 cent?!?!

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm really tempted to order mine from Germany as well, but am a bit worried what this means re. the phones firmware.

Could there be differences between UK and DE firmware; e.g. missing features or languages? And what about future updates? Or do the European models all have the same EU firmware?

Can anyone that already received theirs maybe confirm the firmware version?

serializer

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm really tempted to order mine from Germany as well, but am a bit worried what this means re. the phones firmware.

Could there be differences between UK and DE firmware; e.g. missing features or languages? And what about future updates? Or do the European models all have the same EU firmware?

I think only difference from you is that you have other outlets in UK.

I have ordered the Surface and many other stuff, including Lumia 920 from Germany (I live in Sweden) - I have not received the latter though.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I also ordered from Germany but from getgoods.de when their prediction was 2-4 days until shipment (for the black one-last week) today the estimation changed to 2-3 weeks!! After contacting them I was told they had a batch delivered today that's preparing for shipping according to date-of-order priority so If I'm not among those lucky ones I'm doomed! I've been waiting for this thing since it was announced, 3 more weeks sounds like a lifetime! Still I won't allow myself to be taken advantage of by Telefrog which sells the device via Amazon.de for 772,01(!!!) Euros. Seriously plus 1 cent?!?!
Telefrog were originally at 599e too but have been increasing the price as stock went down.
I had an order there which was despatched today so cancelled my one with Cyberport.
It's been shipped using Hermes so not sure how long it will take to arrive but at least it's on it's way :D

wheresmybeaver

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

I bought a sim free Nokia Lumia 800 from Amazon UK last year, it came with about a dozen European languages preinstalled. It detects the default language of your sim card so that when you turn on the device it sets it as default. So it seems to be a generic EU firmware.

However my HTC HD7 was bought from O2 Ireland and only came with English, German and French (the main O2 countries).

So I am ASSUMING that the SIM free EU models will have all European languages, unless some of these German sites are reselling unlocked localised versions of the 920 (which I honestly don't believe is technically possible yet anyway).

You may possibly miss out on some network features, eg if Vodafone UK have an app for certain network features, it may not be possible to get access to it with a sim free generic model.

For firmware updates, the sim free ones are usually first, so that's a bonus!

RXP-Andy

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes, they are a different firmware as each country normally has its own generic firmware as they will have the settings for that countries carriers. Normally this means the default language of that country. However, it will be normally use the language of the sim which is in the phone.

Also normally, you'll have country specific applications.

The firmware can be easily changed using Nokia Care Suite or Cab sender methods.

illumia

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you should worry about that. It's not like Verizon vs AT&T in Europe. There a much more consistent situation here. Although I can't say I'm a mobile expert my job involves frequent travelling and me and my colleagues have been using "UK" iphones with sim cards from Germany, Greece , Turkey, Cyprus, USA (AT&T) even U.A.Emirates without a glitch. I'm not sure what exactly you mean with firmware while mentioning languages at the same time, it's pretty clear that WP8 supports more languages that you 'll ever need and you can be assured that a UK sim card will work on a phone bought in Germany. The only thing you should watch out for is sim-lock which I haven't spotted in any of those online shops in Germany.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they are a different firmware as each country normally has its own generic firmware as they will have the settings for that countries carriers. Normally this means the default language of that country. However, it will be normally use the language of the sim which is in the phone.

Also normally, you'll have country specific applications.

The firmware can be easily changed using Nokia Care Suite or Cab sender methods.
I've been using German bought phones on and off for the last 10 years with no issues. The SIM free phones should be the same firmware, only the network operators a make changes to the phone in specific circumstances.

RXP-Andy

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been using German bought phones on and off for the last 10 years with no issues. The SIM free phones should be the same firmware, only the network operators a make changes to the phone in specific circumstances.

As you can see from the Navifirm screenshot, there are multiple firmware's for each country variant.

Navifirm.PNG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786