Nokia Lumia 920 Review

Gumptionbrash

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Now what I'd call a review...

There is no video, no data figures, no proper screenshots or photos.

It looks like someone has extrapolated what they already know about the phone - and made judgements from there - just so they can say they are the first to review.

There is still an embargo on reviews for the device (understandable they want to stagger the reviews of WP8 devices) and until the likes of Engadget, The Verge and WPCENTRAL release a review - I would take what this little known site has said with a pinch of salt.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone see Vlad's "This is my next..." post about the 8X? I hope this quote doesn't indicate the tone of 920 review.

This is my next: the HTC Windows Phone 8X | The Verge

Too many extras? Never thought that to be a bad thing.

Although I do read most of my tech articles on The Verge, some of the opinions are a little..erm..down to opinion and can be considered backwards.

Although I can understand where he's coming from (Example, look how HTC Sense on Android got dwarfed and laggy), the extras can become something which makes the phone industry leading. It's down to opinion really.

The camera does not surpass the iPhone's?

The second I read that, I stopped reading the review.

That is one thing I KNOW THE LUMIA DOES. The low-light and not-so-low-light, AND the video, are WORLDS APART. The iPhone 5 looks like a DVD and the Lumia looks like a 1080p Blu-Ray.

So that is a gigantic lie.

Im desperately waiting for The Verge's review of the 920. Or Engadget's at least.

TheVerge don't seem to like Windows Phone full stop. They base the value of eco system on the amount of applications which is beyond daft!.

In relation to the camera. Surely its down to more than just a shoot out. Example, flash focus, macro, etc?

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
TheVerge don't seem to like Windows Phone full stop. They base the value of eco system on the amount of applications which is beyond daft!.
I don't think that characterization is fair at all. In fact, Vlad Savov just released a "This Is My Next" piece on the 8X and WP8 today. if you're familiar with The Verge, you know that this is the equivalent of making sweet, sloppy, indecent love to the featured device.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd believe that the camera isn't the best in all conditions. The iPhone camera is pretty dang good.

The L920 has the best low-light camera and is the best for video without shake.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the reviewers are missing out the improved ergonomics of the 920 over the 900. This device (in matte black) is comfortable to hold, while the 900 you had to sort of find a comfortable position. Also everything load faster, the animations are smoother and quicker, and the touch responsiveness is improved.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that characterization is fair at all. In fact, Vlad Savov just released a "This Is My Next" piece on the 8X and WP8 today. if you're familiar with The Verge, you know that this is the equivalent of making sweet, sloppy, indecent love to the featured device.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, Vlad got me thinking 8x is the way to go. Dude seems solid in his reviews.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Another review, this one by Expert Reviews in the UK.
Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

Lacklustre camera aside, this is a superb Windows Phone 8 handset. 5/5 Stars.

After three reviews and sample pics- I'm starting to think overall camera performance is not as great as I was hoping for. It still seems quite good though, good enough for social media sharing.

One thing this review did though was help me decide that I'm going for the Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X. On Windows Phone black levels matter a lot and the Nokia seems to be the champ in that category.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else tired of the constant banging on the "not enough apps" BS?

Windows Phone has most the major apps. The number for Android is super inflated; anytime I searched for an app it was a good 10:1 ratio of garbage apps in some Asian script that are irrelevant for most phone users. Then we have iOS which has a ratio of what 2:1 or 3:1 of fart/soundboard/gag apps vs. quality usable apps?

The bigger problem are the developers that are boycotting the Windows ecosystem because they want to be whiny about how Microsoft marketplace (which is no worse than the Apple App Store) is going to cut into their bottom lines.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Another review, this one by Expert Reviews in the UK.
Nokia Lumia 920 review | Expert Reviews

After three reviews and sample pics- I'm starting to think overall camera performance is not as great as I was hoping for. It still seems quite good though, good enough for social media sharing.

One thing this review did though was help me decide that I'm going for the Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X. On Windows Phone black levels matter a lot and the Nokia seems to be the champ in that category.

I think the pics look fine. I also think alot of people here have too high of expectations, after all, the 920s camera is still a camera in a phone. I figured this would end up like the 900 so I'm actually impressed by the shots I've seen. We all remember Nokia trying to sell the 900 camera as the bees knees when in fact it was an average at best camera.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the pics look fine. I also think alot of people here have too high of expectations, after all, the 920s camera is still a camera in a phone. I figured this would end up like the 900 so I'm actually impressed by the shots I've seen. We all remember Nokia trying to sell the 900 camera as the bees knees when in fact it was an average at best camera.

Good points. I'm coming from a Venue Pro... It would not take much in terms of Camera performance to make me happy.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Both the Expert UK and the DialAPhone reviews were atrocious. Both were full of factual errors. Neither even attempted to make any meaningful measurements. Neither of the reviewers understand the technology they are reviewing. Waste of time, both of them.

Unfortunately at this point I am only aware of one good Ativ S review.

Last edited:

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else tired of the constant banging on the "not enough apps" BS?

It's getting old... to an extent. People not familar with the OS deserve to know what they're buying in to. Whether many of us need apps like Flipboard, Instagram or an official Pinterest app, the fact that major apps like these are not available will be a deciding factor for some, especially the ladies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The bigger problem are the developers that are boycotting the Windows ecosystem because they want to be whiny about how Microsoft marketplace (which is no worse than the Apple App Store) is going to cut into their bottom lines.

You've got all of this completely wrong.

Firstly, Microsoft actually takes a much smaller cut from app store sales than Apple does. That cut has nothing to do with the fact that fewer developers are participating in the WP community.

Secondly, Developers aren't being whiny at all. They just aren't developing for WP because market conditions don't make doing so worthwhile. Professional developers need to earn a living too, so just like anyone else, they go where there is money to be earned.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Guys, have you not seen the user camera samples on the other threads in this forum? They are AVERAGE AT BEST. There is a reason we have seen zero normal lighting shots from the 920 in any of the hands-on demos until now...it simply is not that good. I had my fears about this, wondering why they never showed us any daylight shots. Now from what I have seen, the 8X trumps the 920 in any sort of decent light.

This camera is going to be the big disappointment of the WP8 launch, and this is very unfortunate for the platform overall. So many were hoping that Windows Phone would be home to the ultimate cameraphone experience, which would have certainly prompted many people to switch platforms. It is becoming more and more clear that this is not going to be the case. The 8X just looks better and better.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Now from what I have seen, the 8X trumps the 920 in any sort of decent light.

Where can I find these comparison shots in daylight of the 920 against the 8X? Because you wouldn't be so stupid to make that claim by comparing pictures taken at different times/location and under different circumstances would you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb