NOKIA Lumia 920: AMAZING phone! Got mine today

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So today I picked up my Lumia 920 from Rogers (they wouldn't sell me it outright so I had to re-sign my contract), and I must say... this phone is freakin' amazing. The device is extremely smooth, the camera is fantastic (even the front facing camera), and the display is one of the best I've ever seen.

Some things I felt should be noted:

- The Facebook and Twitter applications have received significant speed improvements (you can actually use the Facebook app now)
- Windows Phone 8 is much snappier than 7.5
- The 920 still has that loud vibrate sound that the 900 had
- The screen is very bright, and whites don't look grey
- The phone is heavier than the average smartphone, but it actually compliments the design of the phone and you don't really notice it (I prefer it to be honest)
- In IE10, you can set the default search engine as Google
- You can turn off the extreme screen sensitivity (hasn't posed an issue though)
- LTE speeds are fast- web pages load extremely fast
- Windows Phone 8 brings a lot of new accent colours that are pleasing (really like the Steele grey)
- Volume keys and un/lock key well constructed - no rattle or rocking - better than 900

The more I play around with the device the more I'll post up. Also, the Rogers variant came with headphones (US 900 didn't). Another thing worth mentioning is that there is a slight hiccup/delay when you pull up the setting menu in the camera (nothing new here, same thing that happened on 7.5). It's not really lag, just a slower animation compared to the rest of the phone when the menu pops up.

Overall, this phone is a huge improvement from the 900. The screen is amazing, the phone is fast, and the camera finally competes with the Galaxy series and iPhone line up.

Edit: Another thing worth noting is that for available memory (right out of the box) it says 26 GB (assuming my phone has a capacity of 32GB storage).

One more thing worth noting: You don't have to go through Zune to access photos, media, songs, etc. Even to put songs on your phone, you just plug the phone in and access it like a normal USB flash drive. Love that Microsoft went this route.

If you have any questions about the phone feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So today I picked up my Lumia 920 from Rogers (they wouldn't sell me it outright so I had to re-sign my contract), and I must say... this phone is freakin' amazing. The device is extremely smooth, the camera is fantastic (even the front facing camera), and the display is one of the best I've ever seen.

Some things I felt should be noted:

- The Facebook and Twitter applications have received significant speed improvements (you can actually use the Facebook app now)
- Windows Phone 8 is much snappier than 7.5
- The 920 still has that loud vibrate sound that the 900 had
- The screen is very bright, and whites don't look grey
- The phone is heavier than the average smartphone, but it actually compliments the design of the phone and you don't really notice it (I prefer it to be honest)
- In IE10, you can set the default search engine as Google
- You can turn off the extreme screen sensitivity (hasn't posed an issue though)
- LTE speeds are fast- web pages load extremely fast
- Windows Phone 8 brings a lot of new accent colours that are pleasing (really like the Steele grey)

The more I play around with the device the more I'll post up. Also, the Rogers variant came with headphones (US 900 didn't). Another thing worth mentioning is that there is a slight hiccup/delay when you pull up the setting menu in the camera (nothing new here, same thing that happened on 7.5). It's not really lag, just a slower animation compared to the rest of the phone when the menu pops up.

Overall, this phone is a huge improvement from the 900. The screen is amazing, the phone is fast, and the camera finally competes with the Galaxy series and iPhone line up.

If you have any questions about the phone feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

How is the people hub for FB/twitter integration? improved?

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty much the same thing and I haven't noticed any changes. The only difference for your contacts is that they can be integrated into Rooms now.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
What about overall fit and finish as compared to the 900. Also, any indication which country it was made in?

I had the 900, and the 920 has a far more superior build quality. The phone feels well put together, and it fits perfectly in the hands. I was originally going to get the 8X because it's lighter, but after holding the 920, and feeling the weight considering the width of the phone, I was sold on it. It has a genuine premium feel, and as for manufacturing, the box says made in China.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
How quick is the camera? does it take long to focus?

Very snappy camera, and no delay for focusing. Really impressed with the camera software. The phone also comes pre-loaded with NOKIA's panorama, creative studio, and picture smart (let's you select the best photo from a group of pictures taken).

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Give us more details!..lol

I would like to know about Nokia's apps also like Nokia Drive +

Haven't had a chance to try the maps out yet, but once I give Drive+ a shot I'll comment on it. In the store, though, I didn't see many NOKIA apps which was odd. Also, all the games announced for Windows Phone 8, and new apps, are not in the store. I think Microsoft will release them gradually.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the 900, and the 920 has a far more superior build quality. The phone feels well put together, and it fits perfectly in the hands. I was originally going to get the 8X because it's lighter, but after holding the 920, and feeling the weight considering the width of the phone, I was sold on it. It has a genuine premium feel, and as for manufacturing, the box says made in China.
Good info, thanks.

How do you feel about the 920's curved screen, as compared to the 900's flat screen?

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Good info, thanks.

How do you feel about the 920's curved screen, as compared to the 900's flat screen?

That was actually something I wanted to comment on. My brother has the HTC One X, and one thing I liked about the phone is that when you run your finger on the edges of the screen, the screen flows into the rest of the hardware. With the 920, the screen flows into the rest of the body... feels great. They improved this from the 900.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to mention: At this point, the only thing that I would consider a con is the vibration noise.. it still sounds a little odd, and loud.. seems they didn't improve it from the 900.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Does this affect the function of the search hardkey? I can't stand how awful bing's results are and would love if the hardkey could be re-purposed to google.

Works only in the browser. Also, when you search with Google and load up a page, it displays only the text and images (you still need to select go to full page, or whatever it is, at the bottom of the web page to load the full page)... kind of annoying.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
One more thing: Significant improvement with the volume keys and lock key - feel more sturdy and better constructed. Don't rattle or move at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077