Nokia second-class Pureview for Lumia

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Welll as thing keep progressing, they will always keep improving. For now this is the latest and greatest.. Come Feb, this phone will be out of date.. For all you know. I remember fiddling around with grainy 2 MP camera on my phone in the not so distant past.. So ... for the best quality, they will have to get 808 tech and 920 tech.

Just look at video.. It is as smooth as butter.

All the marketting is about low light and smooth videos. They never said that the photos are out of the world.. the videos and low light pictures are.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411548,00.asp

Last edited:

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
At first, when I heard that a WP8 smartphone was going to have a Pureview camera I was fascinated and excited, but when I saw the results, I think they are laughing at us.

Here I leave the video.

Nokia 808 vs Lumia 920 Night Video Comparison - YouTube

You can see how there is more light, but at the same time less colour contrast, less vivid colours and also unreal colours. Nokia 808 Pureview camera is more close to reality in colours and contrast, as well as in broghtnes. While in Lumia 920 we have more light, Video quality is poorer than the Symbian flagship.

Pureview =/= Pureview Pro

The branding is pretty clear, but unfortunately the blogosphere kept dropping the 'Pro' bit off the end when talking about the 808 - I guess they thought it surplus to requirements. Now their mistake is causing confusion.

I'm not sure that people will be happy with a Pureview Pro Lumia to be honest - expectations are too high. Looking at the 808 and 920, they are both chunky phones. The 808 is thick because of the camera tech. The 920 is thick because of the screen tech, wireless charging and OIS. The two aren't going to merge in to one handset any time soon; it would be a brick. The only way Pureview Pro is coming to Windows Phone is if Nokia decide to make a compromised handset - one that lacks many of the 920's big features. With Windows Phone, this will probably mean a 4-4.3" 800x640 LCD screen, dual-core SoC, 1GB RAM, no removable battery, no expandable storage, no FFC. That's not exactly flagship phone territory, so this was probably the wrong time for such a device to launch. If/when it does, it's going to be controversial - it will probably cost as much as the top of the range handsets.

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess that is why its called the Lumia 920 and not the Lumia 920 Pureview... But again like others have stated. I'm getting the 920 because of the top performing camera in a "phone", not replacing a DSLR lol.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
speaking of "we" who is "they"?

in the first post the op said "they are laughing at us"

what's with all this "we" and "they"

I think the op should worry less about we, they, and us

If you don't want the phone, don't buy it

I try to tell my opinion of what "they" (if you had read carefully you would have know is Nokia) are selling us. They are doing the same as Apple, try to resell somethiing that is not the same. They did it with the Retina in the iPhone and iPad which is considerably different ppi. Well, the same is doing Nokia with the Pureview. You can say it has a great low light sensor for photos, but you cannot say it is "Pureview" as this concept is for a "CameraPhone". if you are the Nokia Lumia 920 ****** N?1 and don't want me to be realistic. That is your problem and not mine.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I try to tell my opinion of what "they" (if you had read carefully you would have know is Nokia) are selling us. They are doing the same as Apple, try to resell somethiing that is not the same. They did it with the Retina in the iPhone and iPad which is considerably different ppi. Well, the same is doing Nokia with the Pureview. You can say it has a great low light sensor for photos, but you cannot say it is "Pureview" as this concept is for a "CameraPhone". if you are the Nokia Lumia 920 ****** N?1 and don't want me to be realistic. That is your problem and not mine.

Cannot say it's Pureview? It's a marketing term. Nokia can define it however they want just like how Apple can define Retina display however they want.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
According to dialaphone who did a full review on the 920 stated the camera in the iPhone 5 shows more detail and produced better colors while the 920 was slightly blurring and had a red hue . http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/2012/10/29/nokia-lumia-920-charge-of-the-light-brigade/

The picture comparison is on the home page

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
According to dialaphone who did a full review on the 920 stated the camera in the iPhone 5 shows more detail and produced better colors while the 920 was slightly blurring and had a red hue . Nokia Lumia 920 Review: | Mobile Phone Reviews

The picture comparison is on the home page

Looks to me in the first picture the iPhone 5 has a very very slight blueish hue, but when you look at the cropped image, the iPhone does display more detail, which is odd because the Nokia's sensor is 8.7MP and the iPhone 5 is 8MP. I wonder if the aperture (which affects depth of field) has anything to do with this? In the cropped Nokia photo, it looks more like the leaves are out of focus rather than a lack of detail. It does look a tad bit grainy, but not too much.

Here's another one, but they're comparing to a 8X and 4S.

Nokia Lumia 920

In that one, the 8X seems to do the best according to my eyes. =/

EDIT: The lack of detail may be due to the aggressive noise reduction.

Last edited:

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. The fact that the Pureview sensor in the 920 is not the same as the 808 has been discussed ad nauseam. The point is for it to be a better camera/video camera than competing phones. If it turns out not to be better than an iPhone or other smartphones out there then that's another story.
I think it is simple - Juanfpo96 is most likely a die hard Symbian and/or Meego fan, and is embittered by Nokia's decision to make WP their primary OS. The shine of the Pureview technology is with the Lumia 920, even though the iteration of Pureview is different, and that's not an easy pill to swallow for the diehard Symbian fans.

He would feel much more at home at AAS or MyNokiaBlog :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this forum is sinking under the weight of idiot trolls yet again. Probably time for me to take another break. Not much fun to come here when 1 in 3 posts is garbage like this.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it is simple - Juanfpo96 is most likely a die hard Symbian and/or Meego fan, and is embittered by Nokia's decision to make WP their primary OS. The shine of the Pureview technology is with the Lumia 920, even though the iteration of Pureview is different, and that's not an easy pill to swallow for the diehard Symbian fans.

He would feel much more at home at AAS or MyNokiaBlog :)

I like the WP8, is muhc, much better than Symbian (but not Meego as it is Linux). But I hate they call things wrong. They updated the camera. But that isnot a excuse for marketing of the Pureview name that so good has done with the Nokia 808. I expected really a lot more of the Lumia 920. But whenI saw this garbage (in terms of Pureview) I thought that Nokia became Crazy or something. The real Pureview will come on 2013 and that will be a great sensor with 12Mpx and a real Pureview effect that makes photos and videos look sharper with lots of detail and light.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Super excited to get my Lumia 920! I can't wait!

Yes I'm also excited. But I'm from Spain and it will come out in December or January. And I don't trust really much the resellers. Anyone who can tell me about a good one?

Also many more reviews have as a clear winner the Nokia 808 Pureview. I think Lumia 920 its just a transition phone until it comes the real pureview.

PureView shootout: Nokia 808 vs Nokia Lumia 920

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck