Nokia second-class Pureview for Lumia

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
At first, when I heard that a WP8 smartphone was going to have a Pureview camera I was fascinated and excited, but when I saw the results, I think they are laughing at us.

Here I leave the video.

Nokia 808 vs Lumia 920 Night Video Comparison - YouTube

You can see how there is more light, but at the same time less colour contrast, less vivid colours and also unreal colours. Nokia 808 Pureview camera is more close to reality in colours and contrast, as well as in broghtnes. While in Lumia 920 we have more light, Video quality is poorer than the Symbian flagship.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
At first, when I heard that a WP8 smartphone was going to have a Pureview camera I was fascinated and excited, but when I saw the results, I think they are laughing at us.

Here I leave the video.

You can see how there is more light, but at the same time less colour contrast, less vivid colours and also unreal colours. Nokia 808 Pureview camera is more close to reality in colours and contrast, as well as in broghtnes. While in Lumia 920 we have more light, Video quality is poorer than the Symbian flagship.

I want a phone with a good camera. Not a PhoneCamera. If I wanted a massive sensor I would get the 808. I don't want a massive sensor.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah comparing it to 808 PureView is a bit unfair.
We are talking about phone with camera inside, easily world best camera phone that gets compared to DSLR's and standalone camera's with a sensor that will only fit to 808 body. it's not a mass market phone, never was meant to be.

6952538505_f74e2e9c72.jpg

You win something and lose something. I own 808 PureView and while that camera is to die for, i know my daily driver will be Lumia 920.

Lumia 920 unboxing i just posted by another 808 pureView owner kind of tells it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCJwD5vhZk

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't tell me anything. Any of that could be operator error.

How about a video, from each phone, of the same scene?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Here I leave the video.

I don't think it's a valid comparison. They didn't take the video at the same time, of the same thing, or even in the exact same location. It seems like the Lumia 920 kept changing it's white balance, and I'm not sure if that was because of the yellow street trolley that passed by.

And I think it's obvious the 808 would have more detail.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a valid comparison. They didn't take the video at the same time, of the same thing, or even in the exact same location. It seems like the Lumia 920 kept changing it's white balance, and I'm not sure if that was because of the yellow street trolley that passed by.

And I think it's obvious the 808 would have more detail.
I couldn't do much with the Nokia Lumia 920 as it was a friend's video. He tried it for 24H that nokia let him, and he could do this. Until the phone is out it is impossible to see a real comparisson of the same scene. But this is really close to reality.

I don't think that nokia 808 so big sensor is something good for a phone. But I dn't rally want nokia to lie to me and keep lauching selling for 500$ or even more an smartphone with a non-real "Pureview" camera. Because Puerview is the experience that Nokia 808 brings to me when I capture photos or record videos.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So you are saying that the camera on the 920 is not as good as the camera on the 808 which was made specifically built as a camera???

who knew!!!???

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So you are saying that the camera on the 920 is not as good as the camera on the 808 which was made specifically built as a camera???

who knew!!!???

I think that 808 camera should be better as it was meant for. But Nokia is lying us with fake photos, and lowlight alterate photos. If it is "Pureview" it should have an awesome quality (similar to 808) but compressed into the 8Mpx sensor instead of using a 41Mpx sensor. The only great thing a really new is the OIS.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't do much with the Nokia Lumia 920 as it was a friend's video. He tried it for 24H that nokia let him, and he could do this. Until the phone is out it is impossible to see a real comparisson of the same scene. But this is really close to reality.

I don't think that nokia 808 so big sensor is something good for a phone. But I dn't rally want nokia to lie to me and keep lauching selling for 500$ or even more an smartphone with a non-real "Pureview" camera. Because Puerview is the experience that Nokia 808 brings to me when I capture photos or record videos.

It's not all that black and white.

There's ton of Lumia 920 low light pictures where it shines on low light, yet 808 PureView will win under normal lighting. But like already said Lumia 920 still retains 10.7mm body.
Lumia 920 vs 808 PureView in low light | nokiagadgets.com
From the lab: Lumia 920 low-light shootout with Nokia 808, iPhone 5, HTC One X and Galaxy S III -- Engadget
Gallery: Nokia Lumia 920 low-light sample images vs the competition | The Verge

Nokia's camera boss Damian Dinning himself said that he really wishes at some point to bring both of the features together.

I think that 808 camera should be better as it was meant for. But Nokia is lying us with fake photos, and lowlight alterate photos. If it is "Pureview" it should have an awesome quality (similar to 808) but compressed into the 8Mpx sensor instead of using a 41Mpx sensor. The only great thing a really new is the OIS.

I'm honestly not sure what answer you are trying to get here. I also think Nokia made a big mistake with those marketing videos.

Dinning said PureView is about new tech. Lumia 920 is the first phone in the world to have mechanical OIS inside, that is the whole point of the 8.7MP sensor inside Lumia 920. You can't compress 41Mp sensor inside 8.7MP when the whole technology inside 808 relies on binning the picture.

Last edited:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. The fact that the Pureview sensor in the 920 is not the same as the 808 has been discussed ad nauseam. The point is for it to be a better camera/video camera than competing phones. If it turns out not to be better than an iPhone or other smartphones out there then that's another story.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. The fact that the Pureview sensor in the 920 is not the same as the 808 has been discussed ad nauseam. The point is for it to be a better camera/video camera than competing phones. If it turns out not to be better than an iPhone or other smartphones out there then that's another story.

The point of this thread is to advice people, to be really careful as the marketing and ads of Nokia are showing an extremely great camera. That in reality is not so great. (in terms of video is not so good, but camera is really good when lowlight and far objects, because close objects nokia 808 xenon flash will see them really clear.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Well then we should wait for real reviews with direct comparisons before jumping to conclusions.

And you want the detail and image quality of the 808 but don't want the huge sensor? I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. At least, not until Nokia figures out how to shrink the sensor without ruining image quality.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The point of this thread is to advice people, to be really careful as the marketing and ads of Nokia are showing an extremely great camera. That in reality is not so great. (in terms of video is not so good, but camera is really good when lowlight and far objects, because close objects nokia 808 xenon flash will see them really clear.

Yet every reviewer or test we have seen performed by third parties, says it's the best out of any phone out on the market.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well then we should wait for real reviews with direct comparisons before jumping to conclusions.

And you want the detail and image quality of the 808 but don't want the huge sensor? I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. At least, not until Nokia figures out how to shrink the sensor without ruining image quality.

I didn't say anithing about the sensor. I'm used to an old N97 and its the same thick more or less.Nokai did a great job with 808 because is not so thick. But Appleand Smasung come with 5-9mm smartphones and we think nokia's are thick.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say anithing about the sensor.

Well then I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here then:

I don't think that nokia 808 so big sensor is something good for a phone.

I'm used to an old N97 and its the same thick more or less.Nokai did a great job with 808 because is not so thick. But Appleand Smasung come with 5-9mm smartphones and we think nokia's are thick.

Who's "we"?

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
given that the 808 actually captures two-thirds of a stop less light than the 920 the difference is just better high ISO performance which should naturally be expected from a larger sensor with oversampling.

as far as stills go with the 920's faster lens and slower shutter speeds enabled by optical image stabilization you can reduce the requisite ISO and thus improve noise performance. however with video recording at 30fps we're probably looking at a shutter speed of a least 1/60th of a second and thus too fast to properly expose low light shots without the image-quality-degrading ISO boost.

Juanfpo96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
given that the 808 actually captures two-thirds of a stop less light than the 920 the difference is just better high ISO performance which should naturally be expected from a larger sensor with oversampling.

as far as stills go with the 920's faster lens and slower shutter speeds enabled by optical image stabilization you can reduce the requisite ISO and thus improve noise performance. however with video recording at 30fps we're probably looking at a shutter speed of a least 1/60th of a second and thus too fast to properly expose low light shots without the image-quality-degrading ISO boost.

Thanks, that is a great technichal explanation to say that Lumia 920 low light photos are better than nokia 808. But video is better thanks to nokia big sensor than lumia's low light exposure.

I try to say that a big sensor is not a great thing in a phone due to the final shape is transformed. But I don't feelun comfortable with the phone. I think is not so thick and I can handle it without problems. (And with the WE, I try to meant all of the users we think is a thick phone) Is a thick phone but you can handle it and is much more confortable than some Android devices (Samsung Galaxy NOTE)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Who's "we"?

speaking of "we" who is "they"?

in the first post the op said "they are laughing at us"

what's with all this "we" and "they"

I think the op should worry less about we, they, and us

If you don't want the phone, don't buy it

Members online

Forum statistics