Pictures/Videos taken with your 920!

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I believe night mode with ISO 200 will give you the best shot. With good focus too of course. Those shots are close to being great!
But if your getting bad glare still exposure will fix that. I've mastered ISO but I'm still newbie with exposure. Maybe someone that understands exposure could educate us all.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it's rough to get a good exposure without some sort of metering to tell us how much light is making it to the sensor. I've been playing with CameraPro a bit, and still find it rough without metering. I end up taking 2-3 test shots until I finally get the exposure I want.

ton_pkt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that. But a PC was not around at the same time. Here are the shots. Both are with the lumia. Would like to see what his looked like.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B700CA437579731!310&authkey=!ANas-IXkyaluq0Y

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B700CA437579731!307&authkey=!AFawHr673GDVW6o

Those are nice shots except there are some glares, but the detail is good and it's sharp ^ ^.
Maybe you could try as @gnrthx and @sanders2232 suggested.

I'm await for your friend photos too ^ ^.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Just back from a week cruise to Mexico. Shot a crapload of photos and videos with the 920. Overall, very pleased with the results.

Here's a shot with no post processing - looks like WP Central resamples the images, so I also attached a smaller 100% crop of the image

Attachments

• WP_20130102_042.jpg
    WP_20130102_042.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 37
  • WP_20130102_042-100-crop.jpg
    WP_20130102_042-100-crop.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 24

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe night mode with ISO 200 will give you the best shot. With good focus too of course. Those shots are close to being great!
But if your getting bad glare still exposure will fix that. I've mastered ISO but I'm still newbie with exposure. Maybe someone that understands exposure could educate us all.

So it needs to be in night mode AND ISO set @ 200?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Some pictures I took. Not impressed by the bluriness. Am I doing something wrong?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9CCCC9F92B667109!1397

The blurry ones are taken at very low light. I can tell because shutter speed is at around 1/10 to 1/5 sec even at high ISO. That's very very slow shutter speed for handheld shots even with OIS. Some blurriness is unavoidable at that situation. Be glad you are still getting modestly usable images. With iphones and Samsungs, you will get unusable pictures (either very dark or much more blurry) in the same situation. There are plenty of such side by side comparisons on Internet. Don't listen to a few naysayers on this board. L920 schools the competition in low light.

What you can do to increase sharpness in that situation:
- Keep ISO to the max (800). I see ISO of 650 on some of those shots. Increasing ISO will let you increase shutter speed just a tad.
- If you think the night shots can be a little less brighter, set the exposure bias to -2/3 to -1 EV. By doing this you will get a bit darker image but benefit from 66% to 100% faster shutter speed or lower ISO for less noise.
- Don't pixel peep. Downsize image dimension to smaller size (e.g. 1024px or even less) and then a little sharpening in post processing. It will look more presentable for facebook and etc.
- Use a support such as a tripod. Miniature ones are quite portable and will do wonders for ultra low light situations like that. If a support is not an option, learn to keep your hands real steady.

Last edited:

Omar Khan1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The blurry ones are taken at very low light. I can tell because shutter speed is at around 1/10 to 1/5 sec even at high ISO. That's very very slow shutter speed for handheld shots even with OIS. Some blurriness is unavoidable at that situation. Be glad you are still getting modestly usable images. With iphones and Samsungs, you will get unusable pictures (either very dark or much more blurry) in the same situation. There are plenty of such side by side comparisons on Internet. Don't listen to a few naysayers on this board. L920 schools the competition in low light.

What you can do to increase sharpness in that situation:
- Keep ISO to the max (800). I see ISO of 650 on some of those shots. Increasing ISO will let you increase shutter speed just a tad.
- If you think the night shots can be a little less brighter, set the exposure bias to -2/3 to -1 EV. By doing this you will get a bit darker image but benefit from 66% to 100% faster shutter speed or lower ISO for less noise.
- Don't pixel peep. Downsize image dimension to smaller size (e.g. 1024px or even less) in post processing. It will look more presentable for facebook and etc.
- Use a support such as a tripod. Miniature ones are quite portable and will do wonders for ultra low light situations like that. If a support is not an option, learn to keep your hands real steady.

Thanks for the advice. I will try and take more pictures with these considerations and will post them as soon as I can.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I will try and take more pictures with these considerations and will post them as soon as I can.

Few tips that i can give.

- Like someone already said, keep your camera lens perfectly clean. Your lens was obviously smudged since those light streak were clearly visible. If your lens is clean there shouldn't be any of those streaks.

-Avoid "hotspots" in your photo. Multiple photos was ruined because of those bright light sources near you. Here is good example https://public.blu.livefilestore.co...tJm7tk39kzRPfmTREk/WP_20130105_089.jpg?psid=1 Avoid those in all cost and frame those out of your photo or hide them behind objects. It ruins exposure and makes photos look hazy. Here is other sample https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9ccc...cid=9CCCC9F92B667109&id=9CCCC9F92B667109!1414

-In scenes like you were shooting when there is multiple bright light sources you can try shooting even with ISO 100 and -2 EV. Those settings gives nice moody night shots.

-Keep phone steady long enough to make sure photo is fully exposured before moving it. There seems to be slight delay when you press shutter and photo is taken.

There was many photos that could have been great with right settings. Unfortunately Auto settings rarely take good night shots. Those are almost always over exposured. Shooting towards light source is very tricky. If possible always keep light source behind you.

Omar Khan1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Few tips that i can give.

- Like someone already said, keep your camera lens perfectly clean. Your lens was obviously smudged since those light streak were clearly visible. If your lens is clean there shouldn't be any of those streaks.

-Avoid "hotspots" in your photo. Multiple photos was ruined because of those bright light sources near you. Here is good example https://public.blu.livefilestore.co...tJm7tk39kzRPfmTREk/WP_20130105_089.jpg?psid=1 Avoid those in all cost and frame those out of your photo or hide them behind objects. It ruins exposure and makes photos look hazy. Here is other sample https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9ccc...cid=9CCCC9F92B667109&id=9CCCC9F92B667109!1414

-In scenes like you were shooting when there is multiple bright light sources you can try shooting even with ISO 100 and -2 EV. Those settings gives nice moody night shots.

-Keep phone steady long enough to make sure photo is fully exposured before moving it. There seems to be slight delay when you press shutter and photo is taken.

There was many photos that could have been great with right settings. Unfortunately Auto settings rarely take good night shots. Those are almost always over exposured. Shooting towards light source is very tricky. If possible always keep light source behind you.

I guess I had unrealistic expectations from the phone.

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Finally got SkyDrive pictures to show up in posts!

WP_20130103_063.jpg

WP_20130101_028.jpg

WP_20121226_021.jpg

WP_20121205_028.jpg

WP_20121205_011.jpg

How do I get this video to show instead of a link?
[video]https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=480DDEB8A26602AB!1396[/video]

K3n1x

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess I had unrealistic expectations from the phone.

I think making sure you lens is clean will improve a lot of your pictures. Looking through your pictures I see a lot of flares and long streaks from the light sources.

Here are examples of dirty lens and clean lens I just took. Both are on auto setting.

Dirty
WP_20130107_041.jpg

Clean
WP_20130107_042.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05