Why did you Pick the Ativ S

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I was just wondering what made you pick the Ativ S for your next phone.

I wanna try one and maybe get one if the price is right. since it's only $799 in NZ

Last edited:

L111

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I was picking it purely for the expandable memory, which is handy to put all my music on, but someone said that it doesn't have an equaliser, which isn't going to make listening to 40gb of music that enjoyable.. So I'm not sure now!

Andrei Rinea

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I was sick & tired of Android and being a long-time .NET developer I wanted a Windows Phone. Since Samsung ATIV S was the one with the largest screen and the smallest SAR (radiation factor), I chose this.

THE END.

Mankku

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I was picking it purely for the expandable memory, which is handy to put all my music on, but someone said that it doesn't have an equaliser, which isn't going to make listening to 40gb of music that enjoyable.. So I'm not sure now!

Depends how you listen to music, I never want to use eq when listening. The audio quality is great on the ativ s IMO, better than of most lumias with eq and dolby. But best to compare the audio quality between the phones by yourself. Haven't tried the htc 8x audio output, which seems powerful, but you surely get loud output from the ativ s as well

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Well partly because it was the only wp8 device on TELUS for me that was a bit of a factor. But also some of the reasons above, screen, sd. And I personally like it better than a 920, but that's just me. I do however miss the lack of any of the Nokia apps but oh well, can't have everything.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Why, since it is a better choice than Lumia 920, and 8x, what else can compare itself with ATIV S' 4.8 inches screen, changeable battery and an external SD card slot?

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i went out of my way to buy my ATIV and to unlock it for my carrier because of: size, specs, Samsung, look and finish.

lovin it!

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I had Lumia920, only problems with it. Boss had Ativ S for over a month and no issues. I also have a 8X but want a bigger display. So... Got me a Ativ S and I am impressed by how good it is.

metsfan421

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Problems with the Lumia 920? Really? I've had it since the day it came out, no issues here. I mean sometimes I've had to to a restart, but other than that, it's been excellent. What issues were you having?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Because the other two "flagship" windows phone 8's I have had, the 8X and 920 have given me problems regarding mainly the hardware. I had rattles from inside my 920, build quality issues and it started lagging?! I know, you never here those two words in the same sentence - lagging and windows phone. HTC I had problems with performance issues, if I were to have put my 3.2 GB worth of music on it the performance was reduced and the sim card reader started playing up, and I had further build quality problems with the 8X regarding creaking body.
So the Ativ S was my only real option left, I was sceptical about Samsung as I always remembered them to be really cheaply made and prone to scratching easy, plus there is the dreadful support they are giving windows phone at the moment, however it is the best windows phone I have ever had. The display is stunning, the best out there I recon, it has the size and clarity that stands out. The design of the phone is delicious, it is somehow faster than the other two I had despite there being the same CPU inside it. Lastly it was the cost, the Ativ S is the cheapest out of the 8X and 920, here in the UK anyways. I hope Samsung continues to make WP at this standard, Im sure if they put even half the effort in promoting windows phone it would steal sales away from the S3 and S4.

Nomadicphone

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Had a Galaxy S3 and didn't want to be part of the emerging Android dominance and Samsung rehashing the S series like Apple does with the Iphone. The Ativ S has the Wolfson chip (I believe) that is in the S3. Battery life is far better than the S3, can get a day out of it without putting it on charge. Phone functionality is better than the Nokia line, colleague of mine with an 820 can't block numbers.

But my bugbear is that as a phone it seriously need to be developed (talking about W8) as the inability to type the keypad and brining up a contact based upon name frustrates. So do the inability to look at call history and choose whether to text or call the person. I'm going to give MS to the next update, if they don't address the majority of these issues I will look at an S4 or Nexus so I can have a working phone interface. They really have dropped the ball on this!

Regarding Music PowerAMP is due a release on Win8, probably the APP I miss the most from Android, that and flipboard...

slalom

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was the best WP8 on the market. I had an Galaxy SII LTE and liked the form factor, but hated android, so thought this looks great. The increased battery capacity was a bonus.

Downside - even worse App situation than on Blackberry (....yes I have angry birds, but there is still no banking App!).

ctinro

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
When I saw its first announcement made by Engadget, back in august last year, I said to myself: this will be my next phone. And I forgot about it.
Bored about Android, I wished the Lumia 920 (because it's a Nokia) and, after that, the 8X (lovely design). But, I didn't want `blackboxes`, I want a removable battery and a card expansion. So, I `remembered` the ATIV. It's elegant, has better performance than its competitors (take a look at the benchmarks), big screen, home physical button and ... great battery!

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I picked it because my first Windows Phone (on launch) was the Samsung Focus. That phone was my very first smartphone. Super stable (1 year stable). Fun UI (metro). Cheap construction but durable device. Drop it and it would fall into 3 pieces, but never break.

My experience with the ATIV S is great. The battery life is phenomenal, lasting easily a day and a half with my typical usage. The screen is excellent. Micro-SD (added 32gb). However the removable battery is useless because the battery life is too good for it ever to need a battery swap. While I'd argue its more stable than the 920 (with equal usage experience), it does have a slight stutter when swiping between playlist, songs and artists whereas the 920 does it smoothly. Regardless, it hits the right spots for me: battery life, screen size, and MicroSD more than any other wp device on the market.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
I picked up an ATIV S for GB?360, when a Lumia 920 would have been GB?480. It's even cheaper than the Lumia 720 at GB?380! The removable battery and additional storage are great features, and I loved the AMOLED screen on my previous Samsung Omnia 7.

Mankku

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In Finland Nokia-land the Ativ S's price has dropped to 399 € now, I consider it very affordable, when the retail price in most places for Samsung Galaxy S3 is still 499 €! Still no one I know have ever heard of the Ativ S, everyone's talking about the Lumia phones. I'm starting to promote the WP8 system to friends and co-workers, most seem interested in Lumia 620, it's very cost effective and for most people the "right" size, I recommend it to most; but when I tried the Lumia 620 in the store, the performance seems very sluggish and slow, compared to Ativ S. I know, it has less RAM and slower CPU. You get a new Lumia 620 for about 220 €. But with Ativ S's price dropping, because no one is buying it? Is this the case?

Samsung should promote the Ativ S and/or do something to promote their future WP8 devices properly (if they will make WP8-phones anymore), it's in my opinion very reliable and fast, and good looking phone. Provide updates, apps.. something that will people buy the phone!

Best regards,
Mankku

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05