Nokia clarifies Status of 920 in UK - EE or nothing.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: was in Manchester earlier, walked into an EE store who had a black 920 demo unit... had a play with it and promptly pre-ordered it right there and then for ?25.00. The deposit is refundable off the price of the handset, so depending on the plan you choose means you can get it partially refunded (in my case, the 12 month EE plan has a ?19.99 handset cost) Stock is due within a couple days i was told. And it will include the wireless charger. woot!

Jammo

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Is that for the 12 month or 24 months plan? Phones4u wireless charging and speaker is only on the 24 month plan

12 month plan, madness to ever sign up for 2 years.

Works out a great plan taking into account the price of the phone and charger, plus after 12 months I can upgrade if a significant new model appears, if not unlock and put an unlimited data with 3 from under ?10 per month.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice! So getting it from EE I was told the other day it is impossible to get a Sim-Free version from EE. Is this what you found too?

I'm wondering if I tried to get a 920 from Phones4U if its something the T-mobile or Orange networks have to unlock with the ?10 top up. Or if its only certain colours that are sold locked?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: was in Manchester earlier, walked into an EE store who had a black 920 demo unit... had a play with it and promptly pre-ordered it right there and then for ?25.00. The deposit is refundable off the price of the handset, so depending on the plan you choose means you can get it partially refunded (in my case, the 12 month EE plan has a ?19.99 handset cost) Stock is due within a couple days i was told. And it will include the wireless charger. woot!

Likely lies I'm afraid - from everything we can gather and from what EE have told sites like Neowin - you will be lucky to see this before the 13th - that is if the date doesn't slip again.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Likely lies I'm afraid - from everything we can gather and from what EE have told sites like Neowin - you will be lucky to see this before the 13th - that is if the date doesn't slip again.

Believe me, I took the offer and paid the pre-order with the knowledge that nothing was concrete at this stage- I wasn't born yesterday. There was no specific delivery date mentioned "..end of the weeks tops" being about as concrete as it got! Before deciding to pop into the store I knew to expect any impending delay, and had seen the notices on their websites stating a 14 day wait etc etc. I can live with a week here and there, but im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Handling the device (which only appeared in that store yesterday i was told) was enough to keep the anticipation there. I'll keep you informed if there are any developments from EE here in Manchester...

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
EE is listing the device as an estimated 14 day delivery.

I'm more tempted at the moment to get an 8X alongside my already ordered 8S..Works out cheaper over 12 months to buy an 8X than a 920

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

EE is listing the device as an estimated 14 day delivery.

I'm more tempted at the moment to get an 8X alongside my already ordered 8S..Works out cheaper over 12 months to buy an 8X than a 920

problem with that is... you end up with an 8X at the end of that. uuugh. ;)

im kidding of course. Personally, i just wanted a different experience having had an HTC for the last 2 years. Must confess i loved the look of the 8X and know id be just as happy with that handset.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had a HTC desire for 2.5 years, it has been great, but the camera leaves me wanting. My gf has a One s and the camera on that is massively improved. But I want to go for a Nokia. My mind is made up, but I also reckon I would be happy with the new HTC. One thing I cannot do is go Samsung.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Believe me, I took the offer and paid the pre-order with the knowledge that nothing was concrete at this stage- I wasn't born yesterday. There was no specific delivery date mentioned "..end of the weeks tops" being about as concrete as it got! Before deciding to pop into the store I knew to expect any impending delay, and had seen the notices on their websites stating a 14 day wait etc etc. I can live with a week here and there, but im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Handling the device (which only appeared in that store yesterday i was told) was enough to keep the anticipation there. I'll keep you informed if there are any developments from EE here in Manchester...

Thanks - I always do all my deals online - partly for the cash-back deals and partly because the consumer protection is much stronger.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I always do all my deals online - partly for the cash-back deals and partly because the consumer protection is much stronger.
Indeed there can be more attractive prices online, but i'm not so sure the consumer protection is necessarily better. Have you had specific experiences that make you say that? (i dont doubt your statement, but just curious) for what its worth, the deal i want is available in-store and is not an online exclusive.

Thus far, my first experience with EE in-store has been more reassuring in terms of the 'okay, now here's my wallet' gut feeling... In contrast, the EE rep i spoke to earlier in the day on the phone was less than helpful. Cest la vie.

Curiously it might be worth mentioning, the only customer in the store before I walked in was stood playing with the L920 for about 5/10 minutes, much to the disapproval of his GF. Yes, I actually had to wait to get my hands on it, something I definately didn't expect: QUEUING TO USE A WP PRODUCT IN A STORE. who would have guessed that!;)

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Indeed there can be more attractive prices online, but i'm not so sure the consumer protection is necessarily better. Have you had specific experiences that make you say that?

You are covered by the distance selling regulations which you give you an absolute right to a seven day period to inspect and return the goods or cancel for whatever reason you like before they arrive.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
very true. In addition, I believe EE for one have a "14 day cooling off period" regarding their contracts etc which affords some peace of mind. Orange certainly did/do iirc. Unless the handset is really a complete FUBAR (unlikely...) I'm feeling confident, that it will be mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven