lumia 920 Pocketlint review. (No, I didn't write it)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Saying the phone isn't "heavy" and you need to get fit is a dumb retard response. It's relative. No one would go out and buy some shoes that were 3lbs, because they would be too "heavy". No, it's not 1000000 tons, but for shoes, they would be too "heavy". A person that didn't want the 3lbs shoes doesn't need to "get fit", they just know that for this day and age, it's too "heavy". So yeah, if someone thinks that 185g is heavy for phone, suggesting they need to work out is idiotic.

On a different note. How long did he use the phone. I thought my NL900 was too heavy at first, then after about a week of usage, I found that it wasn't too heavy, just that my older phone was too light.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i like that shouldn't have to need the added weight of a case for daily use. the weight of a case is basically the difference between it and your average smartphone

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, this is a good review for my purposes. I'll use my own judgement on style and size. Tech-wise, sounds like the phone is great. To those who think it's too big, who cares? It'll be my phone, not yours (oh god, that last bit is almost a microsoft commercial)

btw-if you want some perspective, the reviewer stated (in the comments section) that he wouldn't read a book on an ipad3 because it's too heavy. Obviously, this guy is weight and size conscious when it comes to hardware.

Last edited:

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, check out their Galaxy Note 2 review,which weighs same as Lumia 920 and has higher dimensions than lumia 920. They never mentioned it's bulky,large, big or heavy in the negatives. Actually they said "Big Love" in the Heading and further said "Not too big" in the second paragraph heading. And given 4.5 score for that.

But for Lumia 920, they praised everything. Only negative they said was "Bulky in multiple words" and given 3 stars. Which is ridiculous.

Their galaxy Note 2 review: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 review - Pocket-lint

Comparison between Lumia 920 and Note 2 specs: Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 vs. Nokia Lumia 920 - GSMArena.com

Now, can you see what they did there? ;)

Wow wat a find.. So this makes them lose all credibility.. May be they will use the note as a pillow so the weight is ok.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing not even a week.

Winterfang is not the same winterfang from y'day... May be he posted this interview since they recommend HTC. Was it the same person who said that Lumia 920 is butchered?

I think they love Samsung. and they think better HTC than NOKIA as NOKIA is the challenger to thier sammy.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang is not the same winterfang from y'day... May be he posted this interview since they recommend HTC. Was it the same person who said that Lumia 920 is butchered?

I think they love Samsung. and they think better HTC than NOKIA as NOKIA is the challenger to thier sammy.

Yeah... I miss Weebear.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually, when I was looking for my last phone (I am on Verizon, not switching, couldn't wait for WP8) I looked at an HTC Rezound (a very nice phone) and it weighed the same as the Lumia 920 - as soon as I picked it up I noticed the weight (didn't even check the specs before then). When we're talking about a phone that weighs 6.5 oz versus the competition (iPhone 5 3.95 oz and GS3 4.5 oz) it is HEAVY. This is important to a lot of people and working to put down this reviewer because of it is not going to help WP8. As for the comparisons with the G Note II I believe that because of the size the G Note II IS NOT meant to be a one handed device and also because it is bigger the weight is more evenly distributed (therefore less "Brick Like"). The other big one that still isn't resolved is that for US customers the 920 is out of the question for over 50% of US customers - still a BIG FAIL on MS and Nokia's part. That is the reason that they are touting the 8X as flagship WP8 device since it is the only device that is available World Wide.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly fine with those who say this device is too heavy, as long as they realize that is not a universal truth! I'm not buying a Lumia 920, but I'm fine with the weight, so why are people continually trying to tell me it isn't? I'm perfectly capable of making that decision on my own, thank you! STFU already!

Anyone who thinks they can decide for everyone else whether or not a mobile device is "too heavy" or "ugly" really has an arrogance issue! These are clearly subjective things. Surly everyone here is smart enough to understand that.

If one of us forgets that, fine, but I would expect a reviewer to be somewhat more professional. Unfortunately, professionalism is sorely lacking in tech journalism, so we'll just have to deal with it, but anyone who believes their own subjective opinions are validated by equally subjective opinions from someone coincidentally calling themselves a reviewer really needs to reengage their brain matter (yes, I'm looking at you winterfang).

Of course statistical outliers like the 920's weight need to be mentioned in such a review. People need to be made aware of it and be advised to field test the device in person if that is of concern. Most importantly, the entire community finally needs to realize that hardware design is always about choices and tradeoffs. If a device is particularly heavy, I would expect the reviewer to take the damn thing apart and tell me either what I'm getting for it in return, or what I would need to give up for a lighter device (the reviewers statements on that topic are utter BS, as the ATIV has the same specs with a larger battery and larger screen and it is still lighter... in other words, the reviewer guessed and got it wrong). Only with that information can I decide if the weight is worth it...and only for myself...

As the reviewer failed to include any meaningful measurements I give this review a 3/5. However, the reviewer also failed to explain where the extra weight comes from, which he so heavily criticized, so I've decided to subtract another full point for that mistake, so my final score for this review is a 2/5. It wasn't worth my time.

This is still the best WP8 device review I've seen so far, although it is for the ATIV S.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If someone said to me, "you can have a lumia 920 or a smaller 910, which will be a 920 without the image stabilization, without the wireless charging, and with a smaller battery, take your pick" it would be the 920

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the weight thing is a nonissue once you've handled it for awhile.

My first smartphone was an Optimus 7, real steel (not plastic made to look like steel) back cover and the phone weighed in at a hefty 160g. You dont actually realize how heavy it is until you've handled a smaller smartphone. In which case the heavy phone isnt too heavy, its that the light phone is soo light, and feels like you can lose it or it'll slip out your fingers and you wont even notice.

Thickness shouldnt matter unless you're wearing those super skinny tight tight jeans or something rediculous like that.... No one complains about their fatass wallet filled with money and credit cards bulging out of their back pocket.....

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It almost felt as if Winterfang wrote the review. I wouldn't have noticed if the disclaimer wasn't there...:p

Still, it is to be expected. The undeniable fact that it is heavier than the competition will make it a minus point to some reviewers. The one thing we should take heart from is that aside from the 2 points of apps and weight, the 920 is otherwise being lauded as a great phone. It's not perfect...but then again, what really is? :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the weight thing is a nonissue once you've handled it for awhile.

My first smartphone was an Optimus 7, real steel (not plastic made to look like steel) back cover and the phone weighed in at a hefty 160g. You dont actually realize how heavy it is until you've handled a smaller smartphone. In which case the heavy phone isnt too heavy, its that the light phone is soo light, and feels like you can lose it or it'll slip out your fingers and you wont even notice.

Thickness shouldnt matter unless you're wearing those super skinny tight tight jeans or something rediculous like that.... No one complains about their fatass wallet filled with money and credit cards bulging out of their back pocket.....

I'm writing from an Optimus 7. is quite heavy and it feels like is going to broke into a million pieces if it hits the ground

gremlin190

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just weighed my Logitech Harmony 700... It's 190 grams give or take a few. Does it make my wrist sore when I use it? Nope! My Iphone 3g is about 135 grams and it doesn't feel all that much lighter to me. So unless I'm missing something, I can't see the weight being an issue.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If someone said to me, "you can have a lumia 920 or a smaller 910, which will be a 920 without the image stabilization, without the wireless charging, and with a smaller battery, take your pick" it would be the 920

they already have that, its called the Windows Phone 8x by HTC ;)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The undeniable fact that it is heavier than the competition will make it a minus point to some reviewers.

Yes, but my point is that it shouldn't. It's the same arrogance were dealing with here. Give people the facts and measurements and tell them what to be aware of, but let people make up their own minds on subjective issues. That is what a professional would do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster