the verge 920 review

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Eeeeeeeee..... I'm so stoked that 920 reviews are at least out.

One would imagine the release announcement isn't far behind.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
9gag-brace-yourselves-2a32a50b-sz288x200.jpg

Dregur

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If anything, this calmed my fears about the camera, and verified what I thought when early leaks started coming out. While point and shooting is alright, the real power behind the camera is the amount of tweaking you can do to get an absolutely fantastic shot.

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
A satisfying review. Glad they were impressed with the camera. I will have to try this and get a feel for the phone personally to see just how heavy and bulky this phone is. Maybe some of the reviewers are spoiled on thinness and small screen size of Apple products. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus with a cover, so I'm sure the difference will be negligible for me.

Speaking of which, will you guys be using a cover for you phone or will this phone be okay without one?

Oh and MS/Nokia needs Instagram fast, especially with a camera like the 920 has and the color choices. It is obviously catering (one of) to hipsters or youngins. And the lack of Instagram will surely turn off two of their target markets.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the discoloration issue with the camera is still there.

What i mean by this is if i take my 900 out to take a photo today, what i see on the screen and the final picture will be different, there will be some type of tint that while change the colors. Makes it look look dusty at times or a very bland colorization.

For me, i just want to be able to pull out the phone and take pictures and reasonable pictures. Hopefully this will be the case.

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I find it seriously amusing they are slagging ecosystem that much, since I remember them giving Lumia 800 an ecosystem score of 6. Inconsistency!

Wonder how much Josh had say in that review... Ecosystem at least, but what else?

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :p
If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.

sud123

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Although the original Maps app is no longer listed on the apps list, it's still hiding on the phone. Tapping an address link in Outlook launches it instead of launching Nokia Maps, which is likely to be a cause of genuine confusion for many users

can someone with a 920 clarify how this works? what happen when I want to navigate to an address from outlook?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
He even mentioned in the review that Microsoft is courting developers HARD. Much more than they did with Windows Phone 7.

Bringing the top apps available on other platforms isn't going to solve it though. As long as an app doesn't release at the same time for WP as it does for iOS and Android, those 'ecosystem' scores will always be low.

Heck, Android still doesn't get a lot of apps at the same time as iOS and when looking at similar timeframes WP is way ahead of where Android was at this stage...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah, The Verge, those old ecosystem whores :p
If they gave the ecosystem a 9, the overall score would be close to a 9. I would say that speaks for the device. I also found the good score for battery life quite relieving.
Also ... I wonder why they gave reception a mere 7 while stating they are in a bad reception area? Weird.

I wondered that too about the reception score. He even mentioned in the review that others weren't experiencing the same issues he was at all.

MattiasH

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Why is no one talking about the mic quality in a review? For me is it very important, like recording concerts
/ the Swedish guy

MattiasH

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Why is no one talking about the mic quality in a review? For me is it very important, like recording concerts
/ the Swedish guy

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
We all know the Verge has its... tendencies with its apps and apples and so on, but I was surprised to see this was a remarkably well thought out review and as with others some of my fears about the camera were calmed a bit here. Now all I need is to save up a little bit more, find a way to get an unlocked 920 in the UK and go and yell at someone in a shop to take my money. <Queue internet meme>

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
/ the Swedish guy
Guess they didn't deem it important enough to review.

Dang, I'm going to Machinae Supremacy gig on 21st. Shame the release here is on 22nd...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo