Both The Verge and CNET seem to think the Lumia 920 is too bulky

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The Note is so thin and light is more pocketable than the 920. It also has a reason for the compromise, is actually a very innovative phone because of the larger screen and responsive stylus, which to be honest will get more use than blurry pictures at night.

You also compromise looking like a huge tool when talking on a phablet.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The Note is so thin and light is more pocketable than the 920. It also has a reason for the compromise, is actually a very innovative phone because of the larger screen and responsive stylus, which to be honest will get more use than blurry pictures at night.

Lol. The Note is longer and wider, only 1mm thinner, and weighs nearly the same.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Must be a slow day when you have to come into a nokia thread to troll. Not getting enough attention in the other forums?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
TIL that Winterfang is a guy.

Personally, I'm less interested in what the tech press thinks of this phone and more interested in what Joe and Jane Averageconsumer think. They're the ones whose purchases will make or break this device, not the enthusiasts who frequents forums such as ourselves.

For me, the 920 is too big and too heavy. I've been carrying a Focus and a Galaxy Nexus as a daily device. After months of use, including some tweaks to make the Nexus more usable with one hand, I finally came to grips with it's 4.65" screen, so I'm sure I'll do the same with the size and weight of the Lumia 920 over time. Keep in mind that it's a 16:9 ratio compared to the 16:10 ratio of the 4.5" display on the Lumia 920, so the diagonal screen size is a bit misleading. Viewing content in 720P is glorious, but I still prefer something closer to the size and weight of the Focus. It's not that I can bear the heft of the Nexus, but that the size is so useable singlehandedly, and disappears in the pocket. I'm definitely getting a Lumia 920 over the HTC 8X (which looks very competitive), but I'm not looking forward to the size or weight. The Galaxy Nexus already has an annoying bulge in my slim, not "super skinny", slacks and jeans.

I would really love it if there were a Windows Phone OEM who would make a device somewhere in the range of 4" - 4.3", with specs of those other two phones, and a superlative build qulity. I know I'm in the minority, but toss in 32GB and I'd pay $299 for this. Basically taking an iPhone approach to the quality of hardware.

And regarding the Note 2, it's a big device, but doesn't feel much bigger than the Galaxy S3 because it's so light and thin. I might be picking one up soon. And the battery is 3100MAh, versus 2000MAh on the Lumia 920. Some were saying the Lumia's battery was adding to the size and weight, which is obviously true to an extent, but considering I'm using an 1800MAh Samsung battery on my Focus that's feels only a tad heavier than the stock 1500MAh, I have to wonder what the dimensions and weight are on the Lumia 920's battery.

haganistic

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Iphone user who just got excited about the windows phone

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to this site - and while Im super bored of my iphone and am looking forward to the windows phone, I had actually have never tried one until today. I went to the ATT store to ask about the nokia 920 (who were unfortunately very clueless about it) and while I was there I played with in nokia 900 - and OMG is that an awesome phone. I mean honestly- the windows software is everything I wanted in a phone, ease of use, live tiles, integrated.. I could go on.

There's really no other reason why I'm writing this other to say how excited I am for this phone and particulary windows phone 8.

Reading all these (crap) tech review sites of windows phone 8 does not give this software justice. I havn't been so excited about a technology ever - I just know that this phone will succeed.

Okay - my rant is done.

Rooster100

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Quick phone weight comparison

I've been waiting for WP8 and the 920 to be released and to be honest was surpised by the 8X which also looks like a good option- partly because it's a bit lighter and narrower. I'll wait 'till I can check them out for myself before making up my mind though. I don't think the 920 size and weight will be an issue- it's about the same weight as my trusty HD2 with a protective case but much thinner without the need for a case.

My HD2 is 177g (6.24oz) and 14mm thick with a cover.

But all this chatter about weight got me curious so I did a quick survey around the office. I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of the iphone4/4S and I thought this would be a good reference point, so I grabbed a few and weighed them- every one had a cover/case of some sort. Here's the results:
Helen: 155g (5.47oz) 13mm thick
Sarah: 174g (6.14oz) 18mm thick
Kien: 159g (5.61oz) 14mm thick
John: 163g (5.75oz) 14mm thick
Nichole: 225g (7.94oz) 24mm thick (trady case!)
Darren: 178g (6.28oz) and 20mm thick (leather flip case)

So even most light cases add between 18 and 35 grams to the weight of a phone (except for the bullet-proof ones like Nichole's) and about 3.5 to 8.5mm to the thickness. Both the 920 and 8X have bigger screens than the iPhone's so I'd expect them to be a bit heavier. Funny thing is, when I hold a nude iPhone 4 and my nude HD2 I can barely tell the difference and only when I pay very close attention- but there is actually an (apparently) HUGE 20g (0.7oz) difference.

So what did I learn? I think the weights we are talking about are a non-issue for me and I am surpised at some of the squealing heard in some of the reviews- but I still want to check out these two phones for myself. And also- don't mess with Nichole while she's got her phone next to her- because that thing is a weapon.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If one is comfortable with the thickness of the Nokia Lumia 900/800 there is absolutely nothing to to fear here. The phone is fine, just a lot of FUD by weaklings hipsters.

pandalove1027

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Weight is only a concern if I think about how sometimes I'm on my phone in bed and drop it onto my face. That'll hurt. Ha. I can't wait to get this phone already!!!!!!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Very good post about the weights with cases, thanks! I've always wondered about that. Most of the iphones I see are covered in plastic tri-colored bulky cases which, combined with their short size, give them an almost box-like look.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I think this should be posted on every review site claiming the Lumia 920 is too heavy.

3IWdv.png

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Today, we got a demo of the LG Optimus G today. From the dimensions shown, the device is pretty much the Lumia 920 minus being thicker and heavier. Overall though, it is about 50 grams less than the 920. Putting it in my pocket and all, walking around all day with the demo, there was no problem with it. Now I understand 50 grams may be "considerable", but it overall does not come off as a big deal to me.

If anything, the dimensions of the phone make me think if my thumb can reach from top to bottom if holding it normally lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb