Lumia 920 Review - clear bias

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
All About Windows Phone is obviously just as bias as The Verge, just on the other direction.

I agree with you that neither website has a formal testing method. They both lack reference setups or reference patterns to take pictures of. Neither has the ability to control or measure lighting as to ensure the environment is the same for each camera tested. Neither employs DSLR reference pictures as to define the best possible outcome, with which all results are compared and graded based on how close they get. etc. etc. etc.

As a result, neither has any system in place to keep bias in check. It is obvious however, that AAWP put much more effort into their camera testing than the verge did, and it is just as obvious that AAWP has a much deeper understanding of photography. In my view, that difference in effort and competency does make AAWP much more trustworthy, so I wonder why you find it obvious that they are just as biased?

I'm not disputing the possibility, but that their bias is a glaringly obvious as the verge staff's.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It's just not Verge, but even other reviewers have been biased against 920. Someone showed in other thread how Pocketlint is biased in terms of weight when they didn't have any such complaint for Galaxy Note II. Others reviewers also have been similarly biased, hand-picking minor things and ignoring to review some major things. Most of them have not reviewed about camera extras apps,which even make the camera experience better, rich recording,etc.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Sadly, lot of readers here fall for those biased reviews, start complaining, as evident from other threads going on in the forum.

It still boggles my mind how the Lumia 920 seem to struggle in some parts of the review. Okay, it's fair game if you want to say that the camera doesn't do well in certain areas compared to say, the Iphone 5. However, the 920 is the only phone with OIS along with a bunch of abundant camera features, which I find a shame doesn't help in its score. It almost seems like were this the Iphone 5 in place, you would see a "10" on the camera for whatever reason.

I mean, just look at the Nexus 4 review. The reviewer even admits that the low light shot isn't as good as the Lumia 920, but due to additional software, it is going to score the same as the 920 in that department. Either they fail to take into account the 920 software, or there is some bias being played here.

All in all, I would say 95% of reviewers have some hidden bias, and it's always going to show somehow, someway in reviews.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Rafe from AAWP is anything but biased.. Steve might be, but towards Symbian.. not WP, so the fact that he reviewed it against a Symbian flagship and made the comments he made makes me think that they try to be as impartial as they can be.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If people don't see the review/score that they want to see, they say bias. A bunch of cry babies really. It seems like they refuse to believe that someone doesn't like WP8 or that the camera isn't all that.
Rafe from AAWP is anything but biased.. Steve might be, but towards Symbian.. not WP, so the fact that he reviewed it against a Symbian flagship and made the comments he made makes me think that they try to be as impartial as they can be.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If people don't see the review/score that they want to see, they say bias. A bunch of cry babies really. It seems like they refuse to believe that someone doesn't like WP8 or that the camera isn't all that.

Bias is something like this:

theres a cnet video review of the Lumia 920. Theres a blurb about it being a big heavy beast and how it doesnt fi in the reviewers pocket. They SHOW it not fitting in the FRONT pocket of her jeans....as she is mentioning she has phones that she puts in her BACK pocket.

The phone clearly does not fit in the pocket as a good chunk of it sticks out. But then you quickly realize no phone is going to fit in her damn pocket.....

Heavy Nokia Lumia 920 makes an impression - YouTube

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the Nexus 4 have that sweet 360 camera feature? I was reading up on it hand it sounds cool as ****. Perhaps that carries some weight.
Oh, you mean Google's blatant Photosynth rip-off?

I saw a review once of the GS3 vs OneX he said the One camera was superior but the GS3 had better software. And gave the better camera to the GS3.
You either remember incorrectly or the reviewer is wrong. The Galaxy S3 has a superior camera to the One X, hands down. Awful example.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that much denial since the days Palm was relevant. The 920 is a thick phone that takes average pictures, the sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Video is amazing and so are the night shots. But some people just flat out deny the cons of the device, or even worse trying to make it sound like a pro.

Heavy is a con no matter how you see it, what's next? Blurry pictures are better because they are more realistic?

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Video is amazing and so are the night shots. But some people just flat out deny the cons of the device, or even worse trying to make it sound like a pro.

Heavy is a con no matter how you see it, what's next? Blurry pictures are better because they are more realistic?

Blurry images, Nokia France has statet this is software related and they are going to fix this.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I know this goes against everything you believe in, but I'm going to wait until this phones are actually released and have been out for a little while before I make any judgements about what's what.

A big part of the reason most people see you as a joke here is that you completely jump the gun and flip out about stuff based on little or no information. You state things as if they are absolute fact when you are basing them on 3rd hand information.

Everyone knows as soon as these phones come out, within a week you're going to be unhappy with them and pining for the next generation, carping about quad core processors and WP 8.5 and why don't we have this or that.

The truth is people like you are NEVER satisfied, because what is making you unhappy goes much deeper than what any smartphone can ever fix.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

heavy is a con, but its a significantly overexaggerated con.

Using light phones, and then handling a heavy one, theres some weight to that *******.
Carrying a heavy phone and then handling a light one...its too damn light and feels like paper.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok tell something.

Is it or is it not a Fact that the Lumia 920 is heavier than it's direct competition.
Are the day photos not blurry?

I don't need to hold a 920 in my hands for 8 week to know that, when everyone that hold the phone says is heavy, and the pictures I can look with my same eyes.

I certainly have more basis to what I say that this:
Everyone knows as soon as these phones come out, within a week you're going to be unhappy with them and pining for the next generation, carping about quad core processors and WP 8.5 and why don't we have this or that.

Which you base that of thin air.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Bias is something like this:

theres a cnet video review of the Lumia 920. Theres a blurb about it being a big heavy beast and how it doesnt fi in the reviewers pocket. They SHOW it not fitting in the FRONT pocket of her jeans....as she is mentioning she has phones that she puts in her BACK pocket.

The phone clearly does not fit in the pocket as a good chunk of it sticks out. But then you quickly realize no phone is going to fit in her damn pocket.....

Heavy Nokia Lumia 920 makes an impression - YouTube
Damn that 920 lukes HUGE in Jessica's hands! I just don't know if she is a small person or what not.

I know this goes against everything you believe in, but I'm going to wait until this phones are actually released and have been out for a little while before I make any judgements about what's what.

A big part of the reason most people see you as a joke here is that you completely jump the gun and flip out about stuff based on little or no information. You state things as if they are absolute fact when you are basing them on 3rd hand information.

The truth is people like you are NEVER satisfied, because what is making you unhappy goes much deeper than what any smartphone can ever fix.
Winterfang is The Chosen One. He knows all about phones he's never touched :p.

I will check out the phone(s) in person as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte