The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have never ever encountered so many barriers in my quest to obtain a Smartphone in my entire life.

Today (2 November 2012) is when the Press Release says the 920 is released to the UK market, however if you go to the EE web site it quite clearly shows "please allow 14 days for delivery", with Phones 4u showing a Delivery Date of 19 November 2012 for both the Black and the White, with the 'Phones 4u Exclusive' Yellow and Red having no dates attached to it whatsoever, instead just somewhere to Register your interest.

Phones 4u are quoted as saying that they have no idea at present when SIM-Free (EE Locked) 920s will be arriving as they are separate to the Contracted 920s...but there are NO 920s available to purchase in any of the Phones 4u stores I've been in, nor the EE (Orange/T-Mobile) shops, because they haven't received any!!

Is Nokia trying to screw up or something? Does Stephen Elop have a secret agenda to allow Microsoft to come in with its Surface Windows Phone 8 by allowing Nokia to simply make phones but not be able to sell the things?

I have never felt so disappointed nor disgusted at Nokia ever, they have totally lost the plot...the phones aren't out there in the UK.

Sad times :-(

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
it's still weak marketing. Frankly if Apple did one thing right it was tap into the need to have something immediately. Here's our new phone, available tomorrow.

I still don't know when I can get my hands on a 920, I don't feel i should be calling all stores trying to figure out if they have it or not, you annouce it it should be available.. as time passes my urge to get one fades. It's just a whole ton of lost sales.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
However, if you wanted to buy a Nokia Lumia 820 then that's a completely different story, everywhere will be selling that when it's launched - however, I won't repeat the Press Release release date because they've already proven to be slightly unreliable and just a ruse for the general masses to read.

But yeah, the 820 is available everywhere on pretty much every network + SIM Free (Unlocked, not EE Locked)...but I don't want an 820, I want the 920, but that's where I start to hit problems.

Sad to say it but I hope this decision of Nokia to make Consumers fight for a 920 back-fires, people will not wait forever and the Windows Phone 8X by HTC is ?20 cheaper than even the 820!!

Nokia has completely neglected the UK throughout this whole transaction with no information on pricing or availability, I have no quibbles paying ?459.95 for the 920...but I do take exception when I'm having a finger pointed at me, telling me EE/Orange/T-Mobile or nothing, excuse me but I'm paying YOU for the handset, it's not like you're giving it to me for Free is it?

Thank God I found a web site that for ?56.99 will provide Network Unlock Codes for the 920, I shouldn't have to, but sadly I WANT a 920.

Nokia WANTS to fail :-(

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
It is possible that EE may have something to do with it.

EE will have sim only data plans but they are not launching them until 9th November. These are cheaper than the contract plans and thus more appealing to many.

Phones u 4 are selling sim free 920's locked to EE. EE obviously wants a share of those customers and doesn't want people buying and asking for a sim only deal which won't be available until the 9th. EE is kind of in control here with their exclusivity.

But the delay may be longer than this according to reports above. Could be for any number of reasons I guess. Nokia has been in the phone business for many years, they should have got it right by now.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Look in the German thread, a fair few of us UK'ers have ordered truly unlocked, sim free 920's from Germany as we had lost patience with the whole lack of availability in the UK

TrentTech

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a farce, but far less of a farce than the UK WP7 launch. Even after launch there was little hard information about which phones were on which carriers. When it was clear which phones would be available there was no information about when the Omnia 7 would be available on T-Mobile. I kept being told by T-Mobile "check next week, we might have it then" for weeks on end. I didn't actually get it until well into January despite trying to order it since WP7 supposedly launched. Only the O2 shop I went to actually knew what WP7 was for the first month, all the other carriers' shop staff thought I was talking about WM6.

Sure it's annoying that the phone everyone wants is locked to 3 brands owned by 1 company and it's annoying shipments got delayed, but at least there's been some clarification on the week the OS launched. It's not like we're all sat around wondering what on earth is going on with it, we're just sat around unhappy what's going on isn't what we'd like to be going. Hopefully MS, the manufacturers and the carriers will actually get it right for the WP9 launch ;)

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why does everyone keep insisting it's the retailer's fault?

It's getting old.

Let's face it -- Nokia completely botched the 920 launch, stem to stern, in every country.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Why does everyone keep insisting it's the retailer's fault?

It's getting old.

Let's face it -- Nokia completely botched the 920 launch, stem to stern, in every country.

I know you are an HTC Troll, but let's be intelligent for a moment.

The 8X is also not out. The 8X is not a Nokia phone. Nokia sent the phones out a while ago. If anything the hangup was Windows Phone 8, not the hardware.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

The 8X is not a Nokia phone. Nokia sent the phones out a while ago. If anything the hangup was Windows Phone 8, not the hardware.

This has to be nonsense - if they had sent out the phones 'a while ago' how can both the only carrier and only retailer in the country to carry the device each say they will not have any availability for two weeks (on any contract and/or locked sim free) after originally setting today as the launch day?

Are we going to claim that Nokia delivered the phones and they lost them down the back of the sofa?

Equally, while people have ordered them from the rest of Europe, I can't find any evidence that anyone else will have them in less than two weeks - if someone in mainline europe has managed to order and get a lumia 920 - speak up and let the rest of us hear about it

The 8X is also not out.

It is available in 02 stores as we speak.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

The 8X is also not out. The 8X is not a Nokia phone. Nokia sent the phones out a while ago. If anything the hangup was Windows Phone 8, not the hardware.

I hate to be the bearer of truthful news, but as of a few hours ago the Windows Phone 8X by HTC is now available to purchase from:

a) Clove (?399.98 SIM Free)
b) Expansys (?399.99 SIM Free + Delivery), and
c) o2 Store (Free to ?299.99 Pay Monthly / ?379.99 Pay As You Go + Delivery).

Just a damn shame that Nokia couldn't do the same, yet it's funny as Nokia makes this huge announcement of availability...which turned out to be just hot air, whilst HTC just slips the Windows Phone 8X into the market without hardly anyone noticing - funny hey?

Oh Nokia...you just never learn, even now :-(

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of truthful news, but as of a few hours ago the Windows Phone 8X by HTC is now available to purchase from:

Just a damn shame that Nokia couldn't do the same, yet it's funny as Nokia makes this huge announcement of availability...which turned out to be just hot air, whilst HTC just slips the Windows Phone 8X into the market without hardly anyone noticing - funny hey?

What does any of that have to do with Nokia? Nokia makes the phone. The Carrier puts their software on it alongside the OS, and tests it, and trains their employees on it, and then sells it.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I have nearly gave up and will go with HTC 8S if anything. I wanted: Windows Phone 8 and a Lumia 920. I can't have Lumia 920. Don't see a point in investing in any other stuff. But cheapest way to get Windows Phone 8 is HTC 8S. I will give in :(

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of truthful news, but as of a few hours ago the Windows Phone 8X by HTC

Ah ha! I have the newest conspiracy theory... HTC, those evil bastards, have STOLEN every 920 in the UK and are hiding them in a secret base in the middle of a volcano, which is, of course, the carrier's fault and HTC's fault. Otherwise, Nokia's razor-sharp business acumen would be selling millions of 920s right now. :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Having worked at a Nokia factory for years, there can be a lot of things effecting availability that Nokia couldnt effect in the slightest. One of the more common being shortage of components from suppliers. Partially this seems a bit like that..

Nokia also shut down it's second (and most important, cough cough) value factory in my city, so I believe 920 are only made in one factory in Beijing at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3