The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I find it really frustrating that flagship products can get such a weak launch or at least such a confused one. I was expecting a far clearer launch for a flagship product from a company in financial difficulty. But seeing as Nokia have been going through a turbulent trading period I'm surprised they wouldn't have wanted a wider variety of carrier choice and if by signing up with one carrier to start with at least then make it easily available sim free. I'm really hoping that EE pricing fails otherwise there will be no incentive for the remaining UK carriers to compete with lower deals. I do have a sneaky feeling though that the 920 might be short lived as the flagship, just as the 800 was with their first effort.
Seems that NOKIA didn't learn any lessons from what happened last year :-/

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I have spoken to 4 separate stores for the 920's this morning – every single store said they didn't have the phones in stock, but expected some in this week. I was quoted two prices - once by someone telling me the price was ?495 and someone else in a different stored said the price would be ?459, and every single store said the phones would come unlocked. I checked online with the live chat service and they also said that while they couldn't confirm pricing information that the sim-free versions will be unlocked to all networks.

Is this a case of no one knows what they're talking about or will the phones actually come in this week and be unlocked?

bentheoandrews

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems that NOKIA didn't learn any lessons from what happened last year :-/
It looks like EE are desperately trying to push their 4G plans. No sign of 920 on Orange site with Orange tariffs so guess they're hoping some will pull the trigger and just go with EE - especially with the P4U Speaker promotion.
I don't mind waiting. What I do mind is waiting for a date.... then waiting for another date.... then waiting for an unknown date.

FanTong

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I have spoken to 4 separate stores for the 920's this morning ? every single store said they didn't have the phones in stock, but expected some in this week. I was quoted two prices - once by someone telling me the price was ?495 and someone else in a different stored said the price would be ?459, and every single store said the phones would come unlocked. I checked online with the live chat service and they also said that while they couldn't confirm pricing information that the sim-free versions will be unlocked to all networks.

Is this a case of no one knows what they're talking about or will the phones actually come in this week and be unlocked?

Are you referring to the UK retailers like Phones4U? All the sim-free versions means you can buy the phone on its own "without" a sim contract but they are locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile. The UK sites that offer true unlocked will be sourcing them from the continent, I'm sure.

kawadatoshiaki

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Do people not realise the 920 isn't ONLY available on the 4G EE? It's also available theough EE's two 3G networks T-Mobile and Orange.

I find it staggering how many people think the 920 is only available on EE's extortionate 4G tariffs.

Anyway I'm getting the handset on T- Mobile's Full Monty tariff this week.

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Loads of confusion regarding this launch, a complete mess.

To clarify, 920 is available on EE, Orange and T-Mobile. However:
red and yellow is exclusive to Phones 4 U.
Black and white also available, however, white is exclusive to EE (so not available on Orange and T-Mobile).
Availability has slipped in the UK. Now expected 9th November.

Reports indicate sim free is locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile (however, I have no idea how they are getting away with this!)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to the UK retailers like Phones4U? All the sim-free versions means you can buy the phone on its own "without" a sim contract but they are locked to EE/Orange/T-Mobile. The UK sites that offer true unlocked will be sourcing them from the continent, I'm sure.
I'm talking about UK retailers yes. I asked Phones4U if they would be able to provide me with a phone that's sim-free and unlocked in the UK. I asked 4 different stores and an online representative the same question and every one of them told me that they would be able to provide me that.

When I suggested to each one they might be locked to T-Mobile or Orange they all said to me that the phones would be completely unlocked to all networks. I'm not sure if they're just saying that because that's what's happened with all other phones they've sold or if it's true of the 920.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about UK retailers yes. I asked Phones4U if they would be able to provide me with a phone that's sim-free and unlocked in the UK. I asked 4 different stores and an online representative the same question and every one of them told me that they would be able to provide me that.

When I suggested to each one they might be locked to T-Mobile or Orange they all said to me that the phones would be completely unlocked to all networks. I'm not sure if they're just saying that because that's what's happened with all other phones they've sold or if it's true of the 920.

They are saying that because that is what has happened with phones previously.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So is my best bet to try to get a handset from somewhere like handtec or expansys and hope they're unlocked or to go into phones4u and get them to try a different sim in one or what's best?

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If this is going to be available on Orange then they should hurry up and update their website at least to say coming soon

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Do people not realise the 920 isn't ONLY available on the 4G EE? It's also available theough EE's two 3G networks T-Mobile and Orange.

I find it staggering how many people think the 920 is only available on EE's extortionate 4G tariffs.

Really. Went with my father to get him a 920 on Saturday from an EE shop. They had some in stock but the only way they would give him the phone for free on a 2 year contract was if he signed up to the highest ?56/month tariff. I asked about getting it on 3G and they said it wasnt available. Father went mental saying hes been an orange customer for 15 years and wasnt willing to pay thier extortionate prices for a service (4G) that hes never going to use. Picked up an HTC 8X myself on saturday. Havent put it down all weekend. Awesome phone.

Last edited:

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so just rung around the Bristol area again today and still no news on delivery. My local Weston-super-Mare branch still no joy either but interestingly seemed to be quite sure that the HTC 8X was going to be there this Saturday. It looked as though it was appearing on the system to arrive but nothing on the Nokia Lumia 920. They don't get deliveries on a Monday but do tomorrow so are just hoping it comes in at any point. The fact the Phones 4 U website now says order now for 19th Nov delivery doesn't bode well for anything imminent though, could be high demand or maybe they just they know they aren't getting it until then. Now that EE has launched is anyone aware of any issues with EE network at all that Nokia might be holding back on so they don't get caught up in the negativity? Just scratching round now on theories...speculation...oh ok desperation. I've seen Amazon Germany are showing a few in stock through the outlets but at 694 euros a bit too high I think. Amazon Germany themselves list the black one at 649 euros and the white one at 599 euros which is pretty good but neither in stock yet.

bentheoandrews

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

If that's the case, show me one website that gives either Orange or T Mobile tariffs (ie 3G tariffs) - the 920 isn't on either site. It is however on the EE site and also P4U but only with an EE 4G plan.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
If this is going to be available on Orange then they should hurry up and update their website at least to say coming soon

is it on T Mobile UK website? Somehow I think not. I find this to be slightly sneaky behaviour by EE.

I popped into EE at lunchtime but they didn't even have the Lumia's on display and when I spoke to an assistant he brought out both of them from the store for me to have a look at. Display models only.

Again, I cannot see how anyone can call the 920 a brick, it's gorgeous and not too heavy in my opinion. Both display models were black and the 820 which I want, is gorgeous too. It is less rounded than it appears in pictures.

Anyway, stock this week,hopefully, they say.

Edit: they did however say that the white was to be an EE exclusive. Other colours for EE/orange /t mobile

Last edited:

TrentTech

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Really. Went with my father to get him a 920 on Saturday from an EE shop. They had some in stock but the only way they would give him the phone for free on a 2 year contract was if he signed up to the highest ?56/month tariff. I asked about getting it on 3G and they said it wasnt available. Father went mental saying hes been an orange customer for 15 years and wasnt willing to pay thier extortionate prices for a service (4G) that hes never going to use. Picked up an HTC 8X myself on saturday. Havent put it down all weekend. Awesome phone.

EE & Nokia issued response to press enquiries stating categorically that the Red & Yellow versions (possibly Black too?) would work on T-Mobile & Orange 3G sims. Unfortunately they don't seem to have informed their customer services staff who are still without any information. The ridiculousness of this situation is less the exclusivity but the fact the customer-facing staff don't know their heads from their backsides. New iPhone gets released and they all get crash courses in everything a customer might want to know. A new Windows Phone comes out and they're not even told the device exists.

T-Mobile's online support, both Twitter and on their instant chat on the website don't know a single thing about it either. Phones4U, on the other hand, seem a lot more on the ball with informing their staff about what's what. It seems getting it free on a 3G contract is unlikely at the moment until the staff are actually knowledgeable enough to let people order it, however buying it off-contract through Phones4U is still an option when they get stock in.

edit:
Again, I cannot see how anyone can call the 920 a brick, it's gorgeous and not too heavy in my opinion.

Can't comment on the weight yet, but I can't see how anyone can call it a brick either. According to the stats it's actually slightly thinner than my Samsung Omnia 7, which is far from fat. The width & height of it should be expected to be bigger than 3.7" & 4" devices anyway due to it having half an inch extra on the screen size. Most people seem to be comparing it to the iPhone 5 which, let's face it, is anorexic and doesn't sport the large screen of the Lumia 920 or the features like wireless charging which add to the size.

Last edited:

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
All,

If you want the 920 on T-Mobile or Orange, you may have to purchase from Phones 4 U.

EE only seem to be marketing the device on the EE network. As mentioned earlier, sneaky move to get people onto EE contracts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers