The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Do people not realise the 920 isn't ONLY available on the 4G EE? It's also available theough EE's two 3G networks T-Mobile and Orange.

I find it staggering how many people think the 920 is only available on EE's extortionate 4G tariffs.

Anyway I'm getting the handset on T- Mobile's Full Monty tariff this week.

The "Full Monty" plan is 24 months, works out more expensive and don't want to be locked in for 2 years. The EE 1GB 12Month plan at the moment seems the cheaper contract option.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Online chat with T-Mobile, they will not have the phone until the 20th, only available on the 24 month Full Monty plan, no news on unlocked phones this year from T-Mobile.

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell, the 12 month 3 or 5 GB option on EE, although seems expensive, it a pretty good deal with the handset only costing 19.99. Unlimited calls and text and you can tether. If it doesn't work out, it's just for 12 months... New iPhone will be out by then!

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
ok, so phoned Nokia (London) today and asked a Customer Service rep about not being able to find the Lumia 920 anywhere and sales staff at both EE at Phones4U retail outlets also not having a scooby of when they'll get it. He flatly replied "Well, it's not yet released." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I asked about the comms that has come out of Espoo, Finland stating that handsets would be available from the weekend (last) in UK but he didn't comment on it and just said to register interest on the website to get notified. I did notice that Italy's Nokia site specifically lets you pre-order, whereas UK just lets you register an interest. So maybe it's just that it's not in fact launched here and it's just dreadful comms that has been issued instead. Thanks for that Nokia.

On a side note went into EE, Cribbs Causeway - Bristol and noticed you can get the 920 with an up front cost of ?350.00 and then ?7.00 per month thereafter. I could not find any info in their brochure about this and couldn't get to ask anyone about what sort of contract this gives because they were too busy serving. I'm assuming this would be a 24 month job which would work out ?518.00 altogether. I can't find much detail on unlock codes though at the moment.

The displays did advertise T-Mobile and Orange too for this phone.

I think I will lose the plot over this phone.

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty fed up with the whole situation. No-one at Orange or EE, both customers services or instore, have any coherent information regarding when Nokia 920 will be available.

Been waiting patiently for the phone release since the Nokia launch at the end of August.

The phone seemed to be completed and ready to go just waiting for Microsoft to finalise WP8.

WP8 is launched, EE announce prices and plans indicating the phone will be available Friday, November 2.

Since then confusion has reigned. Conflicting information from various sources backed only by a series of banal promotional tweets from Nokia.

From being 100% sure Nokia 920 purchaser, I am now seriously wavering as to whether to wait it out for Nokia to sort themselves our, give up on Nokia and wait for Microsoft's own phone, get a Nokia 800 as a stop-gap or stick with Android going with the reasonably priced, well featured (except 4G) LG Nexus.

Update on my experience at an EE shop today, was told that should not expect the 920 for at least two weeks.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Had a reply from Digital Phone Company Ltd. where I cancelled my pre-order for an unlocked handset....

Unfortunately we are having to cancel your Pre Order due to the phone at the last minute now only being available on EE and not unlocked as where expecting. No new date has been given to us for the unlocked version but realistically we are now looking at the new year! HTC have realised a Windows 8 phone which will be in stock with us today if this is any interest to you?

Urban Splash

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm also close to giving up..... This whole launch is a joke. I was seriously gonna ditch my iPhone and try something new, but at least apple can launch a product and get it on the shelves.

I'm not happy that I have to switch to EE in the first place, and the staff in the stores I have spoken to have been awful.

If there is no solid confirmation this week, I'm getting an iPhone5 on 3. The one plan with truly all you can eat data and tethering.

karnka

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Can't comment on the weight yet, but I can't see how anyone can call it a brick either. According to the stats it's actually slightly thinner than my Samsung Omnia 7, which is far from fat. The width & height of it should be expected to be bigger than 3.7" & 4" devices anyway due to it having half an inch extra on the screen size. Most people seem to be comparing it to the iPhone 5 which, let's face it, is anorexic and doesn't sport the large screen of the Lumia 920 or the features like wireless charging which add to the size.

Saw one in store and it did feel like a brick. Massive compared to my Galaxy Nexus, which has a bigger screen.

Not saying I wouldn't buy it but the size/weight is a factor.

Last edited:

DrThete

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Online chat with T-Mobile, they will not have the phone until the 20th, only available on the 24 month Full Monty plan, no news on unlocked phones this year from T-Mobile.

I looked at the EE/T-Mobile/Orange lists for the 920 at the end of last week.

It will be available on the ?36 pcm Full Monty from T-Mobile for a ?49.99 payment up front. On Orange Panther, also ?36 pcm, it will be ?49 up front.

It will be available on lower tariffs also. E.g. a ?26 pcm T-Mobile tariff (specifically 1.5GB data and 100 minutes talk) will be ?150 up front.

All 24 month tariffs.

Phones4U will inevitably have better deals (i.e. free on a T-Mobile Fully Monty or Orange Panther ?36 pcm tariff).

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Talking to a high level contact at Nokia, he said that it is delayed because senior managers got locked in a local brewery while trying to organise their annual Christmas party.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Talking to a high level contact at Nokia, he said that it is delayed because senior managers got locked in a local brewery while trying to organise their annual Christmas party.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

The most plausible explanation yet! Hah!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't a picnic for me either when I had to hunt for the iPhone 5

Sent from something AMAZING using my pinkie

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't a picnic for me either when I had to hunt for the iPhone 5

Could they at least give you a proper release (note release, not 'in stock') date? Were the people selling it clear that they were actually selling it or did they confuse it for an iphone4? Did they know if it was locked or not? Did they know what network it was available on?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Could they at least give you a proper release (note release, not 'in stock') date? Were the people selling it clear that they were actually selling it or did they confuse it for an iphone4? Did they know if it was locked or not? Did they know what network it was available on?

LMAO

Point is: release for phones can be a mess. I want you to go to imore and give this example to those that preordered a month or two ago and are still waiting, being placed on wait lists, traveling to stores that told them it was available to pick up and turned out to be a lie, and for those who's preorders got cancelled or pushed back. I personally called 55 stores to find the one that I have. So again, it's not a picnic for every device release. Same crap, different toilet

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So I'm currently on a nice O2 simplicity 1 month contract for ?17 a month with unlimited data (3g ofc), 600 mins and unlimited texts. I don't want to give this up for ?56 a month with a few gb of data which I'll use quickly..

Thus my choice seems to be to buy the phone Sim-Free. Very upset to find out it's still locked to EE/Orange/Tmobile though (bit of a joke).

Anyway, I've come across a website (not sure if I'm allowed to post the URL) though it offers the Lumia 920 unlock code for $29.99 if you're on O2. They claim 100% guarantee it works and show a video of the same process working on the Lumia 900.

The question is, how reliable is this and is it likely to work. Does anyone have any experience of a code working on the 900 that easily to unlock?

I'm tempted to buy it from P4U sim-free to get the wireless charging plate, trying the $30 code to unlock it, and if that fails get a sim-only deal at Orange in the interim until they'd unlock it in Jan/Feb..

The other option is buy from Germany but then it won't have the charging plate P4U offer for free... Hmmm

GhostSeven

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have just spoken to my local P4U and they we insistent that it is sim free and available on all networks, quoted me ?459.99 but they do not know when they will have stock.

Now they could be wrong or misinformed but interesting none the less.

GhostSeven

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have just spoken to my local P4U and they we insistent that it is sim free and available on all networks, quoted me ?459.99 but they do not know when they will have stock.

j666w

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So I'm currently on a nice O2 simplicity 1 month contract for ?17 a month with unlimited data (3g ofc), 600 mins and unlimited texts. I don't want to give this up for ?56 a month with a few gb of data which I'll use quickly..

Thus my choice seems to be to buy the phone Sim-Free. Very upset to find out it's still locked to EE/Orange/Tmobile though (bit of a joke).

Anyway, I've come across a website (not sure if I'm allowed to post the URL) though it offers the Lumia 920 unlock code for $29.99 if you're on O2. They claim 100% guarantee it works and show a video of the same process working on the Lumia 900.

The question is, how reliable is this and is it likely to work. Does anyone have any experience of a code working on the 900 that easily to unlock?

I'm tempted to buy it from P4U sim-free to get the wireless charging plate, trying the $30 code to unlock it, and if that fails get a sim-only deal at Orange in the interim until they'd unlock it in Jan/Feb..

The other option is buy from Germany but then it won't have the charging plate P4U offer for free... Hmmm
why is the prices in $ not ?

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
GhostSeven: They lied to you as they did to me and I'm tempted to report them to trading standards. They are 100% locked EVEN when Sim-Free. Nokia and Phones4U have officially confirmed this, but sales staff look after their individual targets and will say anything for a sale. It's pretty disgraceful.

j666w: If you google "Lumia 920 Unlock Code", it's one of the top ones. It's a US site but you select your carrier and UK O2 is an option but at the price of $29.99. I just don't know if it will work.

I am likely to go ahead and try it though so I'll report back :/

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

They are wrong - from the twitter feed:

categorically confirm that none of our 920's will be unlocked.

It's a waste of time asking store staff anything, they are always in the dark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss