The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Just phoned another local store to hear that you can get the phone cheaper if you buy it with a sim with a ?10 top up rather than Sim-Free - they dont know when they're getting them in but they will definitely be unlocked. This is maddening! How can it be so hard to give people my money for a phone!?

lazerblu

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm very disappointed with this farcical situation. After a lot of research I was eagerly looking forward to buying an unlocked 920, and making it my first modern smartphone. Nokia's botched launch plans seem to have killed that plan stone dead.

It amazes me that a company struggling to survive, can so completely cock this up!!!

Sadly I'm now looking elsewhere :(

kougei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Farce indeed. Ignoring the farce of having to haunt the local home and work phones4u stores, unable to deserve or pre-order, no definite information, staff giving out faulty info, even contradicting their own in store display material, it got even worse today.

Store near work said they would 100% be in this afternoon. Left my card, asking them to reserve me one and call. Needless to say no call, so phoned them around 4pm, and they were in stock, they said they'd been too busy to call me, they agreed to reserve me one, they were open til 7, said I'd leave work hour early and come pick it up.

Arrived 6:15, queued for over 5 mins, and unbelievably was told they couldn't sell 920 to anyone because the stock wasn't registered on their system. Without system showing the stock, they can't process/sell, no way around it. Unaccepting, demanded to speak to the Manager, I had to wait over 30 mins, only to get same story, demanded compensation for wasting over an hour of my time. He said nothing he could do, out of his control, all I could do was come in tomorrow, and hope the system problem was fixed. I took away head office details, and emailed in a strong complaint.

Farce Indeed!

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
@bellared - 3 were great and seemed happy to answer my questions. As it happens I went with 3 when they just launched. The experience was simply awful. Although that must be 7 years ago.

Seriously gutted at this debacle. Rang Orange today, 6 mins on hold so I gave up. Actually thought I should wait and buy a grey one in the new year. Really don't like the idea of signing another 24 month contract though though.

Last edited:

thesonandheir

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Utter shambles here on the launch of WP8 flagship phone. Wanted one of these for a week now and still no clearer when its coming.

Plus side is got a Paris city break coming up in Dec, surely must be able to buy it from there??

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
man, this thread is some depressing reading :( I too am hanging about with a pre-order with EE currently in place. Still wrestling with the notion of having to pay ?160 instead of ?20 for the handset, after that patricular bombshell..the latter price was too good to be true huh. I think at this rate we should all meet up for a drink with our L920's and share our experiences with the group when this is all over lol. Frankly, there will probably be less than 5 of us... ;) Mine's a pint of vodka, cheers..

Azza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Phones4U have tweeted saying...

Phones 4u ‏@Phones4u

@cliffkgibson @PhoneDaz Hi Cliff, we're selling this handset SIM free at ?449.95 from Friday in store. This will be locked to EE though. Liz

Phones 4u ‏@Phones4u

@mrcfield Hi Chris, this tweet was referring to the fact that Nokia have confirmed that our stores will receive Lumia 920's from Friday. Liz

Phones 4u ‏@Phones4u

@jakwa1ker Hello, all stores should have received black & white Lumia 920's by Saturday yes! Thanks, Liz :)

And also you can order a black one on their website on T-Mobile & Orange now! But pretty awful T-Mobile full monty handset price, it's more than the iPhone 5!!!! :lol:

Here is the link to T-Mobile tariffs - Nokia Lumia 920 T-Mobile Contract Deals| Phones 4u

kougei

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Further to post above, P4U in Brighton now saying even if they had stock (which they haven't) official release date is Friday, so they are embargoed from selling until that day.

They tried to sell me 810 instead, and I saw 2 people in Clapham yesterday buying the 810, whilst waiting to complain to the Manager.

Why would they embargo the 920, and not the 810 if stock is available?

darquan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Make of this what you will, it was just posted on twitter.

Nokia Lumia 920 no longer exclusive to EE

I'd suggest someone contacts unlocked mobiles to clarify.

I did contact them and they said they are being told on Monday by Nokia how much stock they will receive. The man suggested signing up for the 'Stock Alert' and entering your email address and they will email everyone when they are putting pre orders up on their website.

j666w

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I did contact them and they said they are being told on Monday by Nokia how much stock they will receive. The man suggested signing up for the 'Stock Alert' and entering your email address and they will email everyone when they are putting pre orders up on their website.
I got same reply and they didn't clarify if the handsets were unlocked

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So that blog came to that conclusion because the seller is selling unlocked Lumia 920.... ok.
90% of the world wont have exclusive deals so they are simply just selling Lumia 920 shipped from elsewhere like couple of stores in USA.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this article is base on unlocked-mobiles selling the phone, but they have already confirmed to potential customers that their stock is coming from Europe.

ramcoza

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Phones4U have tweeted saying...

And also you can order a black one on their website on T-Mobile & Orange now! But pretty awful T-Mobile full monty handset price, it's more than the iPhone 5!!!! :lol:

Here is the link to T-Mobile tariffs - Nokia Lumia 920 T-Mobile Contract Deals| Phones 4u

Is it? Are you blind?
Here is the iPhone tariff > Apple iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate T-Mobile Contract Deals| Phones 4u

And here is Lumia 920 Tariff > Nokia Lumia 920 T-Mobile Contract Deals| Phones 4u

Now tell me, which one is cheaper? :p

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Journey with me as I tell you the latest chapter in my Lumia 920 farce...

I've been phoning around lots of my local stores all this week to hear different things as I've described - today I decided to go into the city centre and check directly with 3 different stores to hear 3 different things:

1) Store 1 told me they will get some phones in tomorrow (suggested they already had them but couldn't sell them) but all the phones will be reserved for people on contracts only, as they cannot sell sim-free phones to everyone and then have people coming in that want contract phones.
2) Store 2 told me the Lumia 920 doesn't even release until the end of this month and that I couldn't even pre-order the phone online yet but I could register interest online. They said the phone would be unlocked and I could put my 3 sim in it in store to see it working before purchase.
3) Store 3 told me that they will be getting stock in on Monday, I could get the phone Sim-Free and unlocked.

So I decided to go to the live customer support and check to see which is right, here's the transcript:

Muessig says:
I'm interested in getting a Sim-Free unlocked 920 that I can put a 3 sim in. I've been told by no less than 6 separate stores in my local area i can do this. Your online twitter feed however, says that all phones are locked to EE, T-Mobile and Orange and will not be unlocked as it will void the warranty - who do I believe?
Andrew J says:
I can advise we dont sell the Nokia Lumia 920 as Sim-Free at this time. I can advise this may soon be avaliable. If you would be interested in registering your interest to the Phones4u website for the handset you will be the first to hear about the handset. Can I assist you any further today?
Muessig says:
Do you sell it Pay as you go?
Andrew J says:
No at this time no. As of yet I can give an answer if we will. Our website is updated daily so please feel free to check this out. Can I help you with anything else?
Muessig says:
So you are telling me that Phones4U as a company are not currently selling the Lumia 920 either on Pay as you go for ?450 plus a ?10 top up as you've advertising on your twitter feed and is in shops today. And you're also telling me that the 6 shops I've been to that have told me I can get the phone a) sim-free and b) unlocked to all networks are wrong?
Muessig says:
I don't mean to be rude but I just want to get to the bottom of this as I've been told so many things.
Andrew J says:
I am just getting some information for you now.
Have you been into a store when the stock is in store?
Muessig says:
I've been into a shop where they say they have stock in but they cant sell it until tomorrow and even then they will only sell it to contract people. Others are telling me the phone isn't released til the end of the month or wont be getting in stock til Monday.
Andrew J says:
Ok I have just sent across to get a email so I am then able to tell you store stock and availability. Am I able to take a contact number and call you back in the next 24 hours?
Because I understand what your saying and I need a honest answer for you.
Muessig says:
You'll call me with definite pricings and whether i can get the phone unlocked or not?
Andrew J says:
I will be able to get some details of when the handset is in stock and if the stores are getting sim free handsets. I can also see if they are unlocked yes.

I'll keep you updated but I'm not really hoping for much to be honest. Interesting that the online support told me the opposite of the stores I visited and only checked for more information when I challenged him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism