The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've now decided to wait until the 920 is generally available, tired of ordering from overseas with the chance I might have return it all because Nokia have chosen some strange strategy to sell their flagship phone.

Workshop2

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just been on the phones to the upgrades people at Phones4U. I got it in yellow with Panther 900 for ?33.50 p/m

Now I just have to wait for my phone....grrrr

GeneNZ

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Clove have emailed me to let me know that the white 920 will be arriving tomorrow if anyone wants to try their luck

No idea how unlocked they really are

Hi,

We are pleased to let you know that we will be receiving stock of the SIM-free Nokia Lumia 920 White tomorrow.

Stock will be limited, so please place an order ASAP if you would like to receive one at the earliest possible opportunity. We will begin shipping out orders tomorrow once stock has arrived.

Please visit the following link to place an order for the Lumia 920.

Buy Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia Smartphones | Nokia Lumia 920 Accessories

Kind Regards

The Clove Technology Sales Team.

?520 incl VAT :dry

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
We don't get any colours apart from black (which is coming at the end of November/start of December) until the 17th December in Australia, at the earliest.

Workshop2

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
They have yellow already? Did they say when it would arrive?
Should be with me "Within 5 working days". They were trying to sell me any other colour, but I said I would wait for the yellow. They put me on hold and came back and said "Good news, my manager says that we now have yellow in stock".

Not sure about stores or online though

simsini

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to confirm, the ?399.99 PAYG deal in the EE store is correct. A friend of mine just bought a black one with a free wireless charger and free Wesc headphones. He had to buy a ?10 top up and could only have black.

It is locked like a "Sim-Free" handset from Phones4U, i.e. with T-Mobile, Orange and EE.
Everything is the same as this ridiculously priced one on eBay who must have bought the same deal.

Nokia Lumia 920 Black+Charging Plate+wesc Headphones New+?10 Orange Cred Bundle | eBay

James Shaw

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Should be with me "Within 5 working days". They were trying to sell me any other colour, but I said I would wait for the yellow. They put me on hold and came back and said "Good news, my manager says that we now have yellow in stock".

Not sure about stores or online though
Thanks, maybe I'll get on the phone to them! I think I want yellow; would love to actually see one (a real one, not just a dummy) but might take the gamble!

Moobled

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got a black 920 from an EE shop. Pay as you go ?399.99. Didn't get a free wireless pad but did get some WESC headphones that don't look to shabby.

Just need to get it unlocked now or get an orange/tmobile sim card.

Still it's been a headache getting this phone and nearly jumped ship to iphone5 and the staff at EE and phones4u just don't have any idea about this phone.

jenjen4u

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Just popped into p4u and sorted out my upgrade ready as they didn't have a red in yet of course but I managed to get a ?31 per month contract that includes 400 mins, 750 data, unlimited texts, bt WiFi and no cost for the handset! Which is better than my best offer from orange who wanted ?40 for the handset and p4u via the phone wanted ?200 more.

Now just got to wait for the phone call saying they have them in.
I got the same as you, but have a 10% discount so actually pay ?28 a month, if you were already with orange you should definitely call them up and demand discount save about ?60

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
WOOHOO! Picked up a PAYG ?399 (+?10 top-up) Black 920 from the EE Store.

I called an EE store in Guildford today and they said they wouldn't be selling payg as they don't have much stock. So I chanced it and called another store which is just 2 minutes down the road and they had 1 payg handset in stock.

They said it was an Orange one and i asked if it would work with a T-Mobile SIM. The guy, very friendly, said it wouldn't and I asked if I could pop in and try anyway as I believe it will. He replied that he can't open up the stock to try it out but after a second thought he agreed to do me a favour.

So i rushed over to the store, he opened it up, popped in one of the store T-Mobile sims and lo-and-behold it worked. He was more than happy to sell me the handset. I told him i'm going to buy a T-Mobile 30-day SIM and he was a little disappointed when I informed him that I'll be buying it through quidco for the ?20 cashback but he was still really friendly and threw in the wireless charging plate as well.

Annoyingly, i pulled the trigger on getting a 3 (Three) One Plan 30-day sim only contract and i'm paying my first month on that (and another month with O2) as my PAC expired. Just ordered a T-Mobile 30-day Full Monty SIM so by tomorrow i'll have 3 mobile phone contracts. Need to cancel my O2, and 3 contracts, port over my number to T-Mobile and stick with them until the phone becomes unlockable (at which point i'll go back over to 3 for their allowance of mobile tethering).

All in all, a mightily frustrating experience trying to give my money to Nokia but the individual I got at the EE store was a good bloke.

Karlston

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Need to cancel my O2, and 3 contracts, port over my number to T-Mobile and stick with them until the phone becomes unlockable (at which point i'll go back over to 3 for their allowance of mobile tethering).

All in all, a mightily frustrating experience trying to give my money to Nokia but the individual I got at the EE store was a good bloke.

Have you looked into getting a virgin sim? It will work on the EE network and they offer unlimited data including tethering..

farooknaji

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked into getting a virgin sim? It will work on the EE network and they offer unlimited data including tethering..

Really?? I'll check that out. May need to cancel another new contract! It makes it more suspicious that I'm opening through quidco. Seems like i'm trying to get the cashback without keeping the contracts.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you been able to confirm that a Virgin sim will work with one of the EE locked 920s sold by P4U?

If yes, I am off to buy one this afternoon.

Karlston

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Have you been able to confirm that a Virgin sim will work with one of the EE locked 920s sold by P4U?

Yes, they've been confirmed working. You'll need to get a micro sim from them though which they charge extra for (?5). Or you can just cut the standard sim.

RidingOnTheWind

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I chatted to them earlier about this and here's what "Adam" said:

Me: I saw "Please be aware this handset will only work with Orange, T-Mobile & EE sim cards." on the item page. Would it work with my Virgin SIM as that runs on Tmobile/Orange?
Adam: to be honst it wont work no
Me: 100% sure?
Adam: afraid so

I was going to buy from P4U, placed an order at Amazon.de now for the yellow 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers