The Farce of the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK

Michael Young2

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I chatted to them earlier about this and here's what "Adam" said:

Me: I saw "Please be aware this handset will only work with Orange, T-Mobile & EE sim cards." on the item page. Would it work with my Virgin SIM as that runs on Tmobile/Orange?
Adam: to be honst it wont work no
Me: 100% sure?
Adam: afraid so

I was going to buy from P4U, placed an order at Amazon.de now for the yellow 920.

I have tired a virgin PAYG sim in my one and it works!

RidingOnTheWind

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I knew it! Can't believe they lie to people like that.
I'll still stick to amazon.de. Around ?30 more but at least it's not locked or branded in any way.

anon(5347957)

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh tell me about it... I thought we were meant to get it before US. I went everyday to phones4u stores asking them when its coming out (red 920). They had no idea.. its unbelievable.. then in the website "register" sign for the red one turned "buy it now" so i thought its finally and I bought one but didn't get any email from phones4u tell me when i'll get it, even those its a 48 hours delivery, I chated to one of the person online from phones4u and NOW they tell me, they'll have in stock next week on the 19th, this is true torture for us.. not liking it one bit....

Robin Pearce

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone else confirm that, in the UK, the virgin media sims, the amazing ?12 unlimited text and mobile web offer works in the phone4u "Sim Free" lumia 920?

If so this changes everything but I'd like to see some others say this is the case before I stop browsing the amazon.de website :)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Glad people are now picking up the ?399 deal at ee, I really did not want to trek in to town to get a photo.

Anyway, ordered mine this morning from P4U. ?28.50pm for 600 mins 1GB data plus unlimited texts.

Word of warning though, if you go down the upgrade route it destroys your rights. The guy stated that the distance selling rules only apply to new contracts. They will not replace it unless faulty, unlike if you go new which gives you 14 days to decide if you like it. I really did consider cancelling when he read that to me.

I got the guys name at P4U so I know who to rant at it something messes up.

Oh, got the speaker and wireless charger coming too, but I have to redeem some code online for them. Boom, I am happy.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I went along to EE today in Greenwich, no Windows Phone branding on the windows or in store; in the shop they had a whole wall for iPhone, half for Android and the other half shared with BlackBerry and WP. Out of the 6 WPs there were only 2 models; the 800 and 610!
I asked about the 920 and was told they didn't have any dummy display models so could show the phone. On asking what colours they had they checked and was told black but had to ask to physically see the device. At no point was I told of the cost or tariff options.

Nice work Nokia, you've chosen a partner that doesn't give a damn.

Jammo

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I phoned EE yesterday and the lady told me they are not expecting stock for contracts until next week! Talk about a weird stock allocation.

Workshop2

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I went along to EE today in Greenwich, no Windows Phone branding on the windows or in store; in the shop they had a whole wall for iPhone, half for Android and the other half shared with BlackBerry and WP. Out of the 6 WPs there were only 2 models; the 800 and 610!
I asked about the 920 and was told they didn't have any dummy display models so could show the phone. On asking what colours they had they checked and was told black but had to ask to physically see the device. At no point was I told of the cost or tariff options.

Nice work Nokia, you've chosen a partner that doesn't give a damn.
Yeah, EE stores are really odd. Stay with P4U if you can - they have loads of WP stuff

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Great deal

Due for an orange upgrade for last 2 months and been following the 920 and 820 very closely. EE to me need to be NN (Nothing Nowhere) as the prices are beyond ripp off!...heres the deal I got...

First I called Orange and made friends withthe lady on the other end (took 30 min and had her laughing) she then offered me the following:

Free Lumia 820
500 Min Free
750 MB Data
Unlimited Text
Free Push Email

all for ?26

I knew Phones 4 U are offering a free wireless charging plate, Orange do not offer accesories, so I was told.

I then called Phones4U after taking the number of the Orange rep in case they couldnt match the deal. Heres what I got...

24 month Contract
Lumia 920 for free (not 820 as with orange)
600 Min free
500mb Data (I mainly use Wifi anyway but im going to go back to orange to see if I can blag an upgrade)
Unlimited Tex
Free Push Email
Free Wireless Plate
Free copy of Windows 8 Pro

?26 a month :)

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
EE are tweeting today (13 Nov) that Lumia 920 pre-orders taken online over the past few weeks are being dispatched and should be delivered Wednesday 14th. We shall see!

mercilesskiller

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I have the Lumia 920 Sim-Free and my T-Mobile sim works in it..

BUT:

No data :/. APN settings for Internet and MMS are blank. Tried a few I found online but nothing works. I have no idea why and it's pretty annoying.

Any ideas? :)

EDIT:

It turns out after adding APN settings the phone needs restarting for it to take effect. Sigh. All fixed :)

Last edited:

gav_sw20

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I got my 920 last Friday from P4U.

i was due an upgrade on orange and was in class 2 for an upgrade...i got the following: -
Black 920
Unlimited texts
1gb data
900mins calls
BT Openzone wifi
SONY headphones
Wireless charger - have to go online after 14days to order

?36pcm.

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Managed pick up the black Nokia 920 PAYGO ?399 deal with wireless charging plate and headphones at EE in Ealing Broadway last night. Last one in stock.

Transferring my currrent contract at Orange for ?10 a month with 300 minutes 500 texts and 500MB data.

Its been nightmare but guess it was worth it in the end. Still convinced that Nokia have truly screwed up their marketing and promotion of the phone. Lets hope enough of us have got on board to keep Nokia and WP8 going.

Robin Pearce

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
yeah id rather wait another week thank pay an extra ?100. My local P4U say they have got all colours coming in on their thursday delivery and, as i have got to know them so well going in every day, are gonna put a black and yellow one aside so i can compare both and see which i want.

Spoke to virgintoday and they said some of their simsdo work, some dont but although they shouldnt works lots of people are telling them they do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre