Lumia 920 launch, like we're in 1999

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, this is how I feel.

Everyone seems to keep getting delays. The first place to get it was Canada, and it was such a small launch that it's a joke.

The biggest carrier in the US, ATT does not even have A SPECIFIC DATE.

Nokia is not selling it unlocked in the American continent as of this writing.

I'm in M?xico, and the mexican Nokia page doesn't even show the Lumia with the 'coming soon' thing.

I realise that we are not a first world country (sadly, I love gadgets) but come on. The US got that 'coming soon' thing 2 months ago.

The only place I can get it is in the mexican ebay for $1100 US Dollars. And deliveries start on November 20th. It's a joke.

I'm so depressed that Nokia does not want to take my money.

I feel tempted to just go to a store that is 1 minute away from my house and getting an iPhone 5 and paying it in 18 months with no interest.

So frustrating, it's 2012 for God's sake this kind of things should have stayed in the 1990s.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hard to argue with any of this.

In fact....I can't think of a single aspect of the Windows Phone 8 launch that has been well-executed, except for maybe the BUILD conference.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I like how people keep making these threads NOW after WPCentral has an article on the front page about how the 9th will most likely be the date.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, OP, but you're not allowed to make these observations, or you're a "paid anti-Nokia pro-HTC troll." :p

And why would Nokia sell in Mexico? I mean, it's only one of the fastest-growing economies in the world (shortly to pass the UK in terms of size). Who would go where there's opportunity?!? ;)

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I like how people keep making these threads NOW after WPCentral has an article on the front page about how the 9th will most likely be the date.

Why are still relying on rumors? Why do we still not know, FOR CERTAIN when the phone will launch, and what price it will be? Why is there no way to preorder the phone?

This has been one of the most botched product launches I can remember. From the fake advertisement "scandal," to the lack of availability and price information on TWO separate announcement dates (September Nokia NYC event, October WP8 event in SF), to the botched pre-sales at retailers, I just can't fathom why the person in charge of this launch still has a job.

As a Nokia shareholder, it straight pisses me off

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

This is what, the third or fourth time WPCentral's "att insider" has given us release dates? Come on now. They're just rumors, nobody knows when the launch day is because AT&T hasn't told us yet.

Makes me wonder why the phones aren't for sale yet, though. Network problems? Software problems? Quality control problems? They aren't holding out because it's funny (though, I'd imagine it kind of is). Regardless, it's in their best interest to get these phones in store ASAP. For one reason or another, the phones aren't ready.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
," to the lack of availability and price information on TWO separate announcement dates (September Nokia NYC event, October WP8 event in SF),
As a Nokia shareholder, it straight pisses me off

You forgot the official AT&T announcement of the device that happened a week or two ago.

29485275.jpg

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, OP, but you're not allowed to make these observations, or you're a "paid anti-Nokia pro-HTC troll." :p

And why would Nokia sell in Mexico? I mean, it's only one of the fastest-growing economies in the world (shortly to pass the UK in terms of size). Who would go where there's opportunity?!? ;)
Nokia clearly is not going where there is opportunity.

I live in Yucatan, but Monterrey, Guadalajara and Mexico City are gigantic city with A LOT of money. (It amazes me every time I visit them, some parts truly feel first world, rivalring New York City, Houston or Atlanta)

It really pisses me off that they treat us like the third world.

I NEED my gadgets on time!

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

I won't deny that I was angry after the MS WP8 announcement on Monday, but unlike a lot of people I was just upset that AT&T didn't follow that up with their own pricing and availability announcement. I think they need to be grabbing the general public's attention more than they have been.

In the end, like vagrantwade has said - stay calm and don't panic. They'll come soon enough.

I'm a fan of the 920 and WP8 in general. As a fan, I'm not going to let a delay from a carrier make me change my mind away from getting what I feel is the best phone to be offered this year.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it wasn't launched in Canada. I've called almost every rogers store in Waterloo and no one has them

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

masciam

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Brazil but I've been working in Mexico for a couple of months and will be here until december. It is ridiculous how both markets are being completely ignored by Nokia considering how Nokia still has relevant market share in here.

I was searching for lumia 920 news this morning and it seems they're planning the launch here in Mexico in FEBRUARY and in Brazil on "first quarter of 2013".

This is really disappointing.. I really wanted this phone and would buy it in a blink of an eye was it available right now, but in february? I'm not so sure.

As the OP said, it feels like we're in the 90s. People don't want to wait 4 months to buy a phone, specially considering 4 months is 1/3 of the life cycle of any flagship phone right now.

The S3 was released in Brazil less than 2 weeks after the launch. The iphone 5 is already available here in Mexico (and sold out btw).

It amazes me that Nokia thinks it's okay to skip the holidays.. The economy in Brazil is great at the moment and people will be buying stuff like crazy. Between now and march tons of people will buy the S3 and the iphone 5 (supply constrains will probably be a non-issue by then).

I thought about sending Nokia an e-mail, but I don't think it's worth the effort. It's not like they will do anything. Too bad.

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Brazil but I've been working in Mexico for a couple of months and will be here until december. It is ridiculous how both markets are being completely ignored by Nokia considering how Nokia still has relevant market share in here.

I was searching for lumia 920 news this morning and it seems they're planning the launch here in Mexico in FEBRUARY and in Brazil on "first quarter of 2013".

This is really disappointing.. I really wanted this phone and would buy it in a blink of an eye was it available right now, but in february? I'm not so sure.

As the OP said, it feels like we're in the 90s. People don't want to wait 4 months to buy a phone, specially considering 4 months is 1/3 of the life cycle of any flagship phone right now.

The S3 was released in Brazil less than 2 weeks after the launch. The iphone 5 is already available here in Mexico (and sold out btw).

It amazes me that Nokia thinks it's okay to skip the holidays.. The economy in Brazil is great at the moment and people will be buying stuff like crazy. Between now and march tons of people will buy the S3 and the iphone 5 (supply constrains will probably be a non-issue by then).

I thought about sending Nokia an e-mail, but I don't think it's worth the effort. It's not like they will do anything. Too bad.
It is really sad.

I would just go out now and buy it if I could.

I am extremely sick and tired of iOS. Had it since the iPod Touch 2nd gen all the way to my 64GB 4S now. It is a great device and operating system, but they are SO boring now. I don't use apps anymore, other than Tweetbot, Facebook and the occasional Instagram.

I may end up buying an HTC One X+ and be done with it.

Nokia is losing MILLIONS by being so stupid. They got themselves to the spot they are now. They had EVERYTHING to be the best and most innovative company in the world. (Just like Apple was until a few months ago)

Latin America is a gigantic market. Sad.

masciam

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Just wanted you to know that I ended up e-mailing Stephen Elop my opinion about the latin america launch mentioning everything we talked about in this thread and he actually replied:

Thanks- I appreciate your message. We are deliberately starting in a few markets, and will quickly expand distribution from there.

Regards,

Stephen

If by "quickly" he means 4 months then I'm sorry for them. In Brazil the best time to sell phones is between november and january. People buy like crazy as upgrades for themselves and also as christimas gifts. On all the carriers here we can upgrade yearly so pretty much everyone is eligible.

After that, people have all the holiday bills to pay and are also planning for carnival (end of february and beggining of march). The period between march and may is probably the worst for a launch IMHO.

So I guess this is it. I'll wait and see if they get the daylight shots issue fixed quickly and then buy it internationally since I do travel a lot for work. If they don't fix the camera I'll probably just skip this phone.

Lucky Samsung that will start selling the Ativ S here next month with zero WP8 competition (no HTC here as well).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos