Here we are, Nov 4th Still no pre orders or announcement.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Also keep in mind those of us pissed about waiting, are in the vast minority of cell phone buyers. 99% of the people who consider buying the phone will never know about these launch problems.

Too true. Out of my entire circle of friends, family and even acquaintances I'm the only person in that group of people that even gives a care about the launch of the 920.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
oh please.. do you know what Nokia patent portfolio looks like? They could literally stop everything this moment, and live off those for decades.

Do you know what Nokia's financials look like? They need to sell every phone they can as they are hemorrhaging cash.

Nokia Corporation (ADR): NYSE:NOK quotes & news - Google Finance

Key stats and ratios
Q3 (Sep '12) 2011
Net profit margin -13.03% -3.85%
Operating margin -7.96% -2.78%
EBITD margin - 1.26%
Return on average assets -12.38% -3.95%
Return on average equity -46.11% -8.87%

Earnings Scorecard: Nokia Corp. - Analyst Blog - NASDAQ.com

Third Quarter Recap

On October 18, Nokia reported its third-quarter 2012 financial results. Quarterly net loss was approximately $1,180 million or 33 cents per share compared with a net loss of $189 million or 3 cents per share in the prior-year quarter. However, on an adjusted basis (excluding special items), the loss came in at 9 cents per share, narrower than the Zacks Consensus Estimate of a loss of 12 cents.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a bad feeling about the phone now. If they were running ads showing off the phone and building hype I'd understand, but they are not.

The only people who know about this phone are us geeks. Something must be wrong. Think I'll let you guys beta test it for me. I'll just stick to my L900 until Dec 13th.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am anxious to get the phone. I am very curious why AT&T is holding up the phone. I am sure there is some business reason. It would be interesting to know why they are waiting. Maybe they are wait for sufficient quantities.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
what does stock value have to do with patent royalties?

Well, nobody buys a stock because they have existing patent royalties alone. Just because that could be enough money to keep the doors open doesn't mean it will grow the business. The majority of investors don't look for a place to put their money so that it will stay even over the course of months or years. They want somewhere to put their money that's going to take that money and grow it and then either yield dividends or increase stock value. And the 'get rich quick' in the stock market idea is NOT the dividends strategy.

Silly Putty

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you have ever run a business as successful as Nokia or that you have done 1/10 what Stephen Elop has professionally, so just have a seat and calm down. It's just a phone. It will be released when it's time. Probably within a week based on most rumors.

Yeah...he's done a real bang up job for Nokia... (Insert heavy sarcasm here)

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I went to the AT&T site and did a chat with an agent. She says she has not been given a pre order date for the 920. Even if she could not tell me, I think if the pre order date was today, she would have heard.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, nobody buys a stock because they have existing patent royalties alone. Just because that could be enough money to keep the doors open doesn't mean it will grow the business. The majority of investors don't look for a place to put their money so that it will stay even over the course of months or years. They want somewhere to put their money that's going to take that money and grow it and then either yield dividends or increase stock value. And the 'get rich quick' in the stock market idea is NOT the dividends strategy.

I know why, I was commenting on the effects of a zero value stock on patent revenues. Point is there stock can be a pink slip and it wouldn't matter on patent revenues and would not cause them to shut the door. Most analyst claim the nok stock is junk already. (on a side note, I still think Elop is a MS Trojan horse, acting to devalue the stock so MS can purchase them)

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
someone at a msft store told me last week that they were going to start training this week.

whatever, itll be here when its here. att and msft have never said a word about any date at all. probably best to stop getting mad when they fail to meet release dates that they never published.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Just so I don't confuse fellow wpcentral members. I do not agree with the 920 "beta" launch either, and to some degree am disappointed with the attempt from att, Nokia, and MS. I'm simply injecting another perspective to the conversation as i make my final decision on what to buy next. There is always 2 sides to a coin.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
its a very good point to remember that the att website front page has been showing "coming soon" for a week now for ALL wp8 phones, not just Nokia...so it is Att that's holding this up now, no?

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
someone at a msft store told me last week that they were going to start training this week.

whatever, itll be here when its here. att and msft have never said a word about any date at all. probably best to stop getting mad when they fail to meet release dates that they never published.

Can I be mad at them for telling me at a launch of a device that it's the next phone I should get and now, 2 months later, I still don't know WHEN I can get that new device? :D

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not getting what all the fuss is about here... I've seen this same argument with other device launches as well (the most recent being the launch of the Nexus 7 comes to mind - which was botched in many other ways.. :p)

First - Microsoft is not releasing the hardware - they're simply releasing the software. That being said - what little, scarce, and relevant information related to launch of hardware is outlined from the press release:

Pricing and Availability

Major mobile operators in the United States will start selling Windows Phone 8 in the coming weeks:

• Microsoft and Verizon Wireless have opened a new chapter in a long partnership. Verizon Wireless will carry the Windows Phone 8X by HTC for $199.99 with a two-year contract, and the Nokia Lumia 822, exclusive to Verizon, for $99.99 with a two-year contract. Both will be available by Thanksgiving. In addition the Samsung ATIV Odyssey, also exclusive to Verizon, will be available in December.

• AT&T will carry the Nokia Lumia 920, the Lumia 820 and the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, all going on sale in November. AT&T will have more to share on prices in the coming weeks.

• T-Mobile will carry the Windows Phone 8X by HTC starting at $149.99(6) for the 16GB version and the Nokia Lumia 810 from $99.99.(6) T-Mobile is expecting customers to be able to purchase these Windows Phones on Nov. 14.

Source: Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 8

Companies, when posting these types of announcements, take extreme care to word them in a way that they can meet expectations. Every rumor, statement, conjecture, blurb, note, whisper, etc., is simply that - it's not an official statement or press release from the company involved.

With the information listed above - one can assume (and I'm willing to bet it will all happen.. :)) the following:

Verizon will release the devices listed above (with the pricing documented) by Thanksgiving, or earlier, depending on availability, etc.

T-Mobile will release their WP8 devices around 11/14... (actually just went by T-Mo today - rep there was extremely positive about the devices and said he expected them in on 11/16).

AT&T - unsurprisingly (if you've been with them for awhile - you've been through this before with other "release" dates) has the vaguest release statement. This is probably due to a lot of reasons - but primarily (IMHO) to remain extremely flexible and competitive. That being said I checked in - My local AT&T corporate store stated "mid-November" (which falls directly in line with the statement above), and my Best Buy rep, which I just double checked with today, stated the current launch date is scheduled for this Friday (11/9). There IS no official statement from AT&T regarding either a pre-order or a finalized/official launch date. Mind you - when AT&T finally does release that information - you can bet that they will have everything in place at their local stores, etc., in order to meet the expected demand.

All said and done - If ATT releases this week/weekend - I'll be extremely happy. If they release between 11/9 through 11/20. I'll still be happy (as they've met their "official" statement via the Microsoft press release). Any delay past the 20th - there's some cause for concern there (which I doubt will occur - the true target date, from a business and sales perspective for all of these devices are really mid-late November (Thanksgiving week) through the end of the year).

Also - all of you who canceled your BB pre-orders - why? you didn't need to... :) Basically - if you don't pickup the phone - you keep your $50 gift card. I'm keeping mine and also either pre-ordering from AT&T or will attempt to pick up directly from AT&T if they are truly giving away free wireless charging adapters with a purchase on launch day..

Good luck and be patient!!!!

Last edited:

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel you. Move to Europe :p

Believe me, there are days where that doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Though, from watching the UK version of Top Gear I don't think I'd like their government and the only language from Continental Europe that I even vaguely know is German...

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just a reminder...the HTC 9X doesn't have a launch or pre-order date on Verizon and AT^T either.

The WP8 launch in the US is one big beta.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a bad feeling about the phone now. If they were running ads showing off the phone and building hype I'd understand, but they are not.

The only people who know about this phone are us geeks. Something must be wrong. Think I'll let you guys beta test it for me. I'll just stick to my L900 until Dec 13th.

I've seen the AT&T ad with the 920 shooting the highschool football like 20 times this weekend. Then again I watch a lot of football.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss