The hardest choice to make, red or black?!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just spent 15 mins talking to a smoking hot Nokia rep about my dilemma and I still cant decide! She said she had the same issue but with red and white.

I love red as a color and the 920 red is amazing too! I despise black phones cos everyone has a black phone. Now, if it wasnt for the glossyness, this would be a nobrainer.

The black one with the matte finish feels so much better in hand, doesnt absorb as much fingerprint smudge and seems more resistant against micro scratches.

How a device feels is really important, but so are the looks. I feel like Im gonna regret not getting the other whichever I pick.

Also got hands on with the sexy thing... only on the phone, though :D

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It depends what you want.

If you want an original, sporty and aggressive color - red it is...

If you want a standard color, which 90% of all phones have - black it is.
Black has an advantage of being not so eye catching and better hides dirt and scratches probably.

I went for yellow - bright, positive, sunny :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It depends what you want.

If you want an original, sporty and aggressive color - red it is...

If you want a standard color, which 90% of all phones have - black it is.
Black has an advantage of being not so eye catching and better hides dirt and scratches probably.

I went for yellow - bright, positive, sunny :)

I dont want black as a color, I only consider it cos the matte finish is so much nicer than the glossy finish in red. If both were either glossy or matte, I wouldnt even look at the black :D

So its mostly a looks vs. feel thing

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I dont want black as a color, I only consider it cos the matte finish is so much nicer than the glossy finish in red. If both were either glossy or matte, I wouldnt even look at the black :D

So its mostly a looks vs. feel thing
I got the same problem, but I'm getting the red one. Black is just boring and I want to show my phone to people so that they can see that WP8 phones are really different. But it would be cooler if it was matte (although I dont like the red, matte 8X)

Take the red one with pride!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It could be that going glossy for red, yellow and white was a decision to get "better colors". Perhaps matte red (which for 8X seems to look more orange), yellow and white didnt work out that well.

Its just a huge difference in the feel when holding matte black and glossy red. i was set on red until i got hands on with both

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Colour is such a pain. Its a long commitment to a single colour.

Its a pain the 920 doesn't have removable covers, and that the 820 is such a comprimise on screen.

jkc0170

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I decided on red. I've always had black phones, and just recently, I noticed that I spend a stupid amount of time looking for my phone before I leave the house. You see, I have a lot of black/dark furniture, so it just "blends in" when I set my previous phones down. I figured with red, that was a lot less likely to happen.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm going red, no question. I'm sick of having a black phone. Feel is important, sure, but either way it's going to feel like a premium device. And red is going to make me smile every time I take it out to look at it.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Cyan are grey are too, but they are not available here and generally speaking in fairly limited markets at launch.

Wouldnt want either cyan or grey, though.

JSern

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Cyan are grey are too, but they are not available here and generally speaking in fairly limited markets at launch.

Wouldn't want either cyan or grey, though.

The only thing that keeps me attached to the black is the ability to blend most of the colours IN the phone + the matte finish

serializer

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My opinion is that it is important that we show everybody that this is a different phone - with different color options. People is going to look and wonder what that phone is. That is why I choose a yellow over white or black. In your case I would of course recommend the red!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just spent 15 mins talking to a smoking hot Nokia rep about my dilemma and I still cant decide! She said she had the same issue but with red and white.

I love red as a color and the 920 red is amazing too! I despise black phones cos everyone has a black phone. Now, if it wasnt for the glossyness, this would be a nobrainer.

The black one with the matte finish feels so much better in hand, doesnt absorb as much fingerprint smudge and seems more resistant against micro scratches.

How a device feels is really important, but so are the looks. I feel like Im gonna regret not getting the other whichever I pick.

Also got hands on with the sexy thing... only on the phone, though :D

I thought you were set to go with the red? :p

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been going back and forth between yellow and white quite a bit. I have a black 900 now, and to be honest I'm not crazy about how the matte finish weathers certain things. It seems to get more greasy and marred than my old white one did.

My concerns with yellow (and red) are the tile color choices, and the worry that the bright color would just get old after awhile. I was also worried about the perception of a grown business man carrying a yellow phone, but I've gotten over that. I'm pretty set on yellow right now, but ask me tomorrow and it'll probably be white...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I thought you were set to go with the red? :p

I was until I got to hold both in my hand. The matte finish just feels so much nicer in hand.

@Russell, my fiancee probably wouldnt have approved that :D

@jmerrey, I've also been thinking about the "public image of grown man", but I dont really worry that, currently studying in university most of the times and the work I do at the side often involves teenagers, so I guess it makes me that much more hip/swag/yolo to have a red phone x) The matte finish does indeed look like it would sorta attract grease kinda stuff a bit more, but to my understanding it's different to the Lumia 900 black finish.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been going back and forth between yellow and white quite a bit. I have a black 900 now, and to be honest I'm not crazy about how the matte finish weathers certain things. It seems to get more greasy and marred than my old white one did.

My concerns with yellow (and red) are the tile color choices, and the worry that the bright color would just get old after awhile. I was also worried about the perception of a grown business man carrying a yellow phone, but I've gotten over that. I'm pretty set on yellow right now, but ask me tomorrow and it'll probably be white...

Can you explain what you mean by "weathers certain things"?

Also, has anyone who has had a matte phone ever had problems with the finish wearing off after awhile? That's my only concern with getting matte black or grey.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Grey 920 was coming to the States... Alas it is an international only color which leaves me with the choices of Cyan & Black because I want a matte finish not the shiny finish which is a finger print magnet. I'm already OCD enough about the glass back on my 4S.

I will likely go Cyan for my Lumia.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I wish the Grey 920 was coming to the States... Alas it is an international only color which leaves me with the choices of Cyan & Black because I want a matte finish not the shiny finish which is a finger print magnet. I'm already OCD enough about the glass back on my 4S.

I will likely go Cyan for my Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte