Nokia Confirms Daylight Fix Coming for Lumia 920 Camera

TofuDelight

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you think so often (and so fondly) of me, VacantWade.

Obviously, Nokia is just extending it's unbeatably awesome "coming soon" strategy from its rollout to its technology platforms, due to popular demand.

When will I get the DSLR quality that Nokia promised? Not today... but coming soon with an update! :D
When did they ever promise dslr quality?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not in the spin room. I'm just like Beetlejuice. When invoked, I appear for my adoring fans. :D

(On a slightly more serious note, one can only wonder what the reaction would be if HTC promised great sound with Beats, delivered muddy poor-quality sound, and then said "we'll fix it soon with a firmware update." Do you think it would be pitched by The Usual Suspects as Good News for HTC?) ;)

We won't have to wonder for long. Beats is a joke. "Beats" is a brand name for wannabe gangstas with saggy pants, not audiophiles. Monster is just about as bad honestly, the Monster accessories for Nokia are OK, but they cost about 2x what they should for the quality they deliver. I'm hoping we will see more cooperation between Nokia and Dolby Labs. I'm much more optimistic about that than any of the others.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess Nokia phone are suppose to be for photo gurus. In that case, I guess the 920 is a joke.
We won't have to wonder for long. Beats is a joke. "Beats" is a brand name for wannabe gangstas with saggy pants, not audiophiles. Monster is just about as bad honestly, the Monster accessories for Nokia are OK, but they cost about 2x what they should for the quality they deliver. I'm hoping we will see more cooperation between Nokia and Dolby Labs. I'm much more optimistic about that than any of the others.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an audiophile, but even I know that Beats Audio is nothing special. And like was already stated, "Monster" is a rip off too.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess Nokia phone are suppose to be for photo gurus. In that case, I guess the 920 is a joke.

Man, so much negativity. How about you enjoy your 8X and post back here if/when you have to deal with their customer service and let us know how it went?

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
all the beats bashing yet all reviews mention how loud and clear it is on the 8X... using the "audiophile" argument is like saying "photographers won't use the 920 and it's no where near slr cameras"

sad really. both the 8X and 920 has pros and cons... people should want both these devices to be successful and raise windows phone up a bit.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
all the beats bashing yet all reviews mention how loud and clear it is on the 8X... using the "audiophile" argument is like saying "photographers won't use the 920 and it's no where near slr cameras"

sad really. both the 8X and 920 has pros and cons... people should want both these devices to be successful and raise windows phone up a bit.

The 8X has a better amplifier, I believe.

Just because "Beats Audio" is generally a rip off doesn't mean the 8X audio sucks. As far as I know, you're not paying extra for the Beats Audio name on the 8X like you would if you were buying Beats Audio headphones.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The 8X has a better amplifier, I believe.

Just because "Beats Audio" is generally a rip off doesn't mean the 8X audio sucks. As far as I know, you're not paying extra for the Beats Audio name on the 8X like you would if you were buying Beats Audio headphones.

Similar to how you are paying less for a Lumia 920 that takes good pictures in daylight (with a fix already announced before the phone is released in the U.S.) and GREAT pictures at night.

justinl111

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading this thread and keep thinking I've somehow got onto an Iphone forum slating the Windows 8 Phone devices, then reality hits!

Look stop throwing your toys out of the pram, we have 2 great Windows Phone devices, the Nokia and the 8X. They attract a slightly different audience, I can currently only comment on the 8X as I do not have a 920 to hand.

What I will say though is the sound quality on the 8X is superb, this isn't to do with beats which everyone knows is just a equalising setting emphasising bass, it's the additional amp and head phone voltage they have applied to the headphone jack and another additional amp on the internal speaker. Listening side by side to my Iphone 5 and Note 2 there is no comparison. Even my friend who I handed a 8X to test (he's an apple fan boy with a Iphone 5) loves the 8X and couldn't believe how good the sound quality was!

This time round HTC has delivered a decent phone with a great screen, excellent sound quality and a tried and tested camera. Rather than bashing them HTC need support for actually bothering to design a phone from scratch for Windows Phone 8, they as well as Nokia are in trouble and have gone back to basics.

As for the support Nokia's track record is as poor, I have seen 1000's of devices from them and their quality control is terrible (hence why they are in such a bad state now). They rested on their laurels and name, just as Blackberry have done and are now paying the price.

As a photographer I will only use a camera on a phone as a last resort for a quick snap. There is no camera phone with the limited sensors, lenses etc that would even begin to touch a decent quality compact let alone a DSLR/Mirrorless. As soon as you want to print larger prints, crop in etc it becomes mush. Also they also are all heavily processed and cannot do RAW therefore are useless to photographers.

So what we are talking about with the camera/picture quality are just really different degree's of acceptable for pictures posted on facebook and photo sharing websites. Don't rely on phones such as the Nokia to enable you print off great photo's especially if enlarged, 4x6 or maybe 5x7 will be okay. As I said I use them for quick snaps where the quality isn't that important rather than the content of the shot. I carry my RX100 which is very small yet infenetily better quality than any camera on a phone if I want to take shots.

Personally rather than reading threads like this that just slag of competitors offerings, enjoy the phone you decide to get, all of them have pro's and con's, research before you buy and then enjoy.

Last edited:

Verus1

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Reviewer are loving the 8x

Even my friend who I handed a 8X to test (he's an apple fan boy with a Iphone 5) loves the 8X and couldn't believe how good the sound quality was!

I think this is a good example of why I am really happy about the 8x. People who are currently using other phones are really going for this model. Vlad, from The Verge said in a podcast that he had just been "spending some time in the bath, having an intimate moment with the 8x". I don't really care to know the details of what that means, but more than one person in that very "Apple-centric" group is loving a Windows Phone. That's a good thing. I plan on getting the Lumia 920, but I am even happier about the 8x. It's a Windows Phone that a lot of people are interested in. That is a very good thing! No matter what any of us plan for our next phone, I think we can all agree that we would like to see Windows Phone succeed and grow. As long as I get the phone I want, I couldn't care less if the HTC out sells it a 100 to 1. My aim is to get the phone that I like, not the one that everyone else likes. If it was, I would probably just stick with my iPhone.

I know that no phone camera is going to be as good as the dedicated one, but I can't lug around a full size camera all the time. I know many do, but not me. So, if I have to comprimise and use a phone camera, I want it to fill the bill. It needs a fast lens and have good stabilization. Even if the 920's pictures were only average, it would still be doing the job it was designed for really well, because it delivers on low light and stability. But the pics it turns out, while cool and processed, are actually very nice. Add to this the news that the color bias issue is being addressed and for me it's a clear win. I know that a camera phone is a comprimise from a DSLR, but if I can get good results in low light and bright, it doesn't feel like a comprimise, it just feels convenient.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Still beats the **** out of copycats wannabe flagships even in daylight conditions. If something needs to be a joke then 8X is. Totally worthless. I will pick a Lumia 810/820 any day over one.

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading this thread and keep thinking I've somehow got onto an Iphone forum slating the Windows 8 Phone devices, then reality hits!

Look stop throwing your toys out of the pram, we have 2 great Windows Phone devices, the Nokia and the 8X. They attract a slightly different audience, I can currently only comment on the 8X as I do not have a 920 to hand.

What I will say though is the sound quality on the 8X is superb, this isn't to do with beats which everyone knows is just a equalising setting emphasising bass, it's the additional amp and head phone voltage they have applied to the headphone jack and another additional amp on the internal speaker. Listening side by side to my Iphone 5 and Note 2 there is no comparison. Even my friend who I handed a 8X to test (he's an apple fan boy with a Iphone 5) loves the 8X and couldn't believe how good the sound quality was!

This time round HTC has delivered a decent phone with a great screen, excellent sound quality and a tried and tested camera. Rather than bashing them HTC need support for actually bothering to design a phone from scratch for Windows Phone 8, they as well as Nokia are in trouble and have gone back to basics.

As for the support Nokia's track record is as poor, I have seen 1000's of devices from them and their quality control is terrible (hence why they are in such a bad state now). They rested on their laurels and name, just as Blackberry have done and are now paying the price.

As a photographer I will only use a camera on a phone as a last resort for a quick snap. There is no camera phone with the limited sensors, lenses etc that would even begin to touch a decent quality compact let alone a DSLR/Mirrorless. As soon as you want to print larger prints, crop in etc it becomes mush. Also they also are all heavily processed and cannot do RAW therefore are useless to photographers.

So what we are talking about with the camera/picture quality are just really different degree's of acceptable for pictures posted on facebook and photo sharing websites. Don't rely on phones such as the Nokia to enable you print off great photo's especially if enlarged, 4x6 or maybe 5x7 will be okay. As I said I use them for quick snaps where the quality isn't that important rather than the content of the shot. I carry my RX100 which is very small yet infenetily better quality than any camera on a phone if I want to take shots.

Personally rather than reading threads like this that just slag of competitors offerings, enjoy the phone you decide to get, all of them have pro's and con's, research before you buy and then enjoy.
Ever heard of 808 PureView. And HTC OneX and 8X have got one of worst camera ever. Check any of the neutral shootouts done by likes of GSMarena.

Well, if you are not a fan of Nokia is fine. But bashing them about their track record makes you look stupid. It is the biggest lie I have ever heard. They are the only one who care about WP OS and even other customers. Only they are bringing Bluetooth file transfer and other features with WP7.8 to old devices. Can you expect that from HTC.

erock150

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Still switching

So I buy a iPhone 4 and I can't make a call because according to apple I'm holding it wrong. The fix buy a case. The home button stops working, the fix well apple never admitted this was a problem so no fix. Then apple updates me to the worst maps ever, and takes away google maps something I use for work every day. The fix, sorry we will fix that some day try someone else's map app. But Every one loves apple iphone.
Nokia launches a phone at a great price with a great camera, announce an update that will make the camera even better and it's the end of Nokia.
I'll take my 920 in black please.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do anyone care about what u would get? Don't remember asking you.
Still beats the **** out of copycats wannabe flagships even in daylight conditions. If something needs to be a joke then 8X is. Totally worthless. I will pick a Lumia 810/820 any day over one.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not being negative. Just posing the question. If audiophiles will tell you that beats audio is garbage, then I'm sure photo gurus will tell you ois is garbage.
Man, so much negativity. How about you enjoy your 8X and post back here if/when you have to deal with their customer service and let us know how it went?
Phil Collins isn't in the studio with beats audio just like Steven Spielberg isn't shooting his new movie with a Nokia.

justinl111

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Ever heard of 808 PureView. And HTC OneX and 8X have got one of worst camera ever. Check any of the neutral shootouts done by likes of GSMarena.

Well, if you are not a fan of Nokia is fine. But bashing them about their track record makes you look stupid. It is the biggest lie I have ever heard. They are the only one who care about WP OS and even other customers. Only they are bringing Bluetooth file transfer and other features with WP7.8 to old devices. Can you expect that from HTC.

Sorry if you actually read what I said both companies don't have brilliant track records, we need to support both devices and the Windows Phone system as a whole without bashing competing phones on the system!

Pureview 808 is a concept camera phone with a 40mp sensor using multisampling and pixel binning, ie it cheats, as a proper useable camera sorry it doesn't hold up against any decent camera, just look at the sensor size and the lens quality!

As for calling me stupid, sorry all I have done is point out that all devices have flaws, a phone is not a camera and what evewr phone you have it won't be able to produce anything comparable to a proper camera's picture quality, if you understand photography you will understand my statement. Please point out where I have bashed anything! I want both companies to succeed it is imperative for the platform for them to do well. Bashing the phones like what you hjave just done using the 8x camera example as being terrible is just pointless!

nano321

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if you actually read what I said both companies don't have brilliant track records, we need to support both devices and the Windows Phone system as a whole without bashing competing phones on the system!

Pureview 808 is a concept camera phone with a 40mp sensor using multisampling and pixel binning, ie it cheats, as a proper useable camera sorry it doesn't hold up against any decent camera, just look at the sensor size and the lens quality!

As for calling me stupid, sorry all I have done is point out that all devices have flaws, a phone is not a camera and what evewr phone you have it won't be able to produce anything comparable to a proper camera's picture quality, if you understand photography you will understand my statement. Please point out where I have bashed anything! I want both companies to succeed it is imperative for the platform for them to do well. Bashing the phones like what you hjave just done using the 8x camera example as being terrible is just pointless!
I don't know in which world you live. 808 PureView is my daily driver and talking about its innovative technology as cheating shows your bitterness about something. May be Nokia. may be the fact that HTC is not able to compete it on that front :).

Anyways attacking Nokia and its innovations in a pseudo way is also pretty visible, however you pretend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99