Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
lol socialcarpet. First you make baseless accusations and then confronted you ran away, disgraceful.

If I recall correctly, someone (not sure if miller) said that a lot of people complained about the camera on the 920 and so far the 8X reviews had being flawless. (as in not mayor bugs or annoyances).

Not that every HTC reviewer says anything HTC make flawless. That's just stupid.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This is absurd. Microsoft didn't "join forces" with HTC to conspire against evil Nokia for making a device that's 185 grams. You people are daft for complaining about the weight. Its a non issue for most people and even if they think it's heavy, it's just them whining. 50gs is negligible. That's 5% of a kilogram difference. I can barely tell the difference between 10 and 15 kilograms let alone a bloody 50 grams.

Quit whining and be thankful that we are getting a great selection of devices.
I never stated anyone is conspiring against anyone. I'm saying MSFT is likely pretty disappointed with Nokia for what they have brought to the table. Its a clearly a superior device but end of the day, its still a phone. A damm heavy one at that.

You all can defend Nokia all you want but they really f&^*^&^%&-up by not bringing a light weight offering to the table as well. It may end up costing them their partnership with MSFT.

One other thing. To give you some background I have 30% of my IRA invested in Nokia. I'm very unhappy with this company as an investor right now. And I've already put my money where my mouth is.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think the 8x is superior becaaauuussse it is the best I can get on Verizon! Lol

No but seriously, camera isn't a big deal to me as long as it works during the day and is better than my trophy (impossible to be worse). I mean the phones do everything else almost the same. Deciding factor for me is how it feels in the hand.

denis7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The unfortunate thing about the 920 is that the added heft was so they could add a high quality camera, but until they ship their undated firmware update, the 920 takes fuzzy, pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. :(
Except the fact that it doesn't take pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. It has some flaws in day-light photos so far, but makes up for it with amazing low light photos and and great video recording. HTC 8X doesn't offer anything like that.

tristan.rice

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I went with the HTC 8X in the end. I'm sure the Lumia 920 is a great phone, it just seems it isn't the phone for me. Why?

1. I listen to music more than I take photos. While I couldn't care less about Beats and it will be switched off as soon as I can turn on the phone (I'd even like to cover up the logo tbh..), I can tell you that the built in amp is a big draw.

2. Size and weight. I have an HTC Titan at the moment and I love it, but one of the places I listen to music is at the gym. To everyone saying that people who think the Lumia 920 is heavy should go to the gym, well I do and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't ever USE the Lumia 920 while working out. Having that thing in your pocket bouncing around while you run etc, just isn't good. The Titan is about the limit for that and I'm happy that the 8X will be significantly lighter. (No I don't want a separate device.)

3. I don't have a car, so Nokia Drive isn't very useful to me. Nor are many of the other Nokia exlusive apps, including music.

Yes I wish the 8X had more storage, yes I'm sure there will be more Nokia timed exlusive apps that I will want, yes the camera will be better.

The Lumia 920 isn't best in class at everything, and for a lot of people some of the issues (fairly raised in the reviews) are actually quite important. This isn't a paper specs race. You can't yet convince me of the value of Wireless charging no more than you can for 3D screens.

They're both "best" phones, just to different people.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess the question for AT&T subscribers now is, "Is the 8gb HTC 8X better than a 32gb Lumia 920+charging pad? Or is the 16gb HTC 8X worth double?"

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Except the fact that it doesn't take pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. It has some flaws in day-light photos so far, but makes up for it with amazing low light photos and and great video recording. HTC 8X doesn't offer anything like that.

The daylight photos on the 920 are fuzzy, pixelated and noisy. Sorry. It is true and has been noted in multiple reviews.

Speaking for myself, I am all for a "good enough" camera (since I am not a photographer). But if you're going to slam the competition's camera while declaring your own to be flawless, it better be flawless... and the 920 has daylight photo issues out the gate.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Please stay on topic guys rather than taking cheap shots at each other. brmiller has a high oppinion of the 8X which is a fair one, and the 920 doesn't guarantee blur free shots as anyone who's used it will confirm (the first thing I did with the preview version I got to go hands-on with was see just how good OIS is, and it's a huge improvement but not instantly perfect).

This is an excellent thread so far with valid opinions and I'd hate to have to go all hyper-moderator on it

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You may wonder why they have it exclusive only on AT&T though... oh wait, perhaps AT&T is actually paying for them? Just like iPhone some years ago?

Naah, can't be true...

Could be. But on the flip side, the reason carriers are pushing WP because of the high cost of subsidizing iPhones (which sell well). I cannot imagine AT&T is willing to subsidize 920s and lots of freebies plus have a big ad campaign, unless Nokia is selling them for well under what Apple charges.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the 8x is superior becaaauuussse it is the best I can get on Verizon! Lol

No but seriously, camera isn't a big deal to me as long as it works during the day and is better than my trophy (impossible to be worse). I mean the phones do everything else almost the same. Deciding factor for me is how it feels in the hand.

I'm with ya. Camera isn't that important to be either. No matter what you chose, 8X or 920, you're guaranteed to get a better camera than any of the current WP 7.5 devices. My Lumia 900 camera is average at best so either one would be a nice upgrade to what I'm used to.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I went with the HTC 8X in the end. I'm sure the Lumia 920 is a great phone, it just seems it isn't the phone for me. Why?

1. I listen to music more than I take photos. While I couldn't care less about Beats and it will be switched off as soon as I can turn on the phone (I'd even like to cover up the logo tbh..), I can tell you that the built in amp is a big draw.

2. Size and weight. I have an HTC Titan at the moment and I love it, but one of the places I listen to music is at the gym. To everyone saying that people who think the Lumia 920 is heavy should go to the gym, well I do and I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't ever USE the Lumia 920 while working out. Having that thing in your pocket bouncing around while you run etc, just isn't good. The Titan is about the limit for that and I'm happy that the 8X will be significantly lighter. (No I don't want a separate device.)

3. I don't have a car, so Nokia Drive isn't very useful to me. Nor are many of the other Nokia exlusive apps, including music.

Yes I wish the 8X had more storage, yes I'm sure there will be more Nokia timed exlusive apps that I will want, yes the camera will be better.

The Lumia 920 isn't best in class at everything, and for a lot of people some of the issues (fairly raised in the reviews) are actually quite important. This isn't a paper specs race. You can't yet convince me of the value of Wireless charging no more than you can for 3D screens.

They're both "best" phones, just to different people.

I certainly agree with your last sentence, but I find your rationalization of the 8X choice to be curious.

I go to the gym and use treadmills and such as well. I previously had an HTC Arrive which was the EXACT same weight of the Lumia 920. Having it "bounce around" wasn't a problem because I either wore baggy shorts with thick, loose pockets OR I simply put it in one of the exercise machine shelves/cupholders/whatever have you to sit while I worked out. I wouldn't put ANY phone in my shorts if I were wearing tighter, form-fitting ones.

Plenty of people at my gym use iPhones or iPods in Otterbox or other "heavy" cases. It's never been a problem from what I can see.

I don't get the 'built-in amp" being an advantage either. The effective range on any modern smartphone's audio is more than enough for pretty much any decent pair of headphones. Making it louder doesn't make the music "sound better", but the high-frequency fatigue your ears will experience will most certainly be worse. You're just asking for the onset of tinnitus however many months down the road. Once you get it, there's no getting rid of that low frequency ringing.

This isn't to big up the Lumia 920 and to belittle the 8X. There are certainly use case scenarios where each excels. I just happened to find these two "reasons" a little odd id all.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And the question for Nokia is "can we survive by selling below cost?"

I don't think so.

Their pricing is likely a result of a very sweet deal tied to AT&T exclusivity. It's becoming apparent why it was a smart move, even if it does upset a few customers.

Regardless... the the customer the question isn't about Nokia's financials. It's about what phone should they buy with the money they have.

If you're on AT&T, it's VERY DIFFICULT to not choose the Lumia 920. This is true even if you have a slight preference towards the 8X.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss