Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x doesn't offer anything extra compared to Lumia 920. Internal amp maybe but where do you need it? Really need it?

Point being, if you want lighter and somewhat physically more comfortable phone, buy 8X. Otherwise Lumia 920. Of course availability and that stuff is different story.

I chose Lumia 920 because:
- Nokia is 100% dedicated to WP. It means rapid responses to bugs, it means nice exclusive apps and so on. They need to excel the expectations and for example with Lumia 900 early wifi problems, they really took agressive approach addressing the problem.
- Camera is good in low light (the most important thing I would say, because almost all cameras today takes decent day-time shots).
- I take videos and too often in loud places (bars and stuff) so rich recording is killer feature
- including OIS to videos => superb I would say
- I like the design. Its timeless. Weight is no issue, why would it be? Only a bit downsize is the size. I would've preferred 4" screen.
- Display. Undisputed champion. Most important for me is CBD for outside use and ability to use it with gloves. But all in all, it doesn't matter what features you like, this display has it
- Navigation. I don't know if the drive+ app is for all wp phones? But with Lumia920 you can be sure the have the best nav
- 32gb out of the box is good. If only 16gb, I would have doubts.
- I like colors, took yellow (8x has also so no decision factor)
- last but not least, I really like to have that wireless charging pillow next to my bed. Always in mornings battery is full. Another place where I might buy one is next to my keyboard at work. People say that plugging the cord to phone is no biggie, but it is because you need remember to plug it.

So, now I am just waiting my yellow Lumia 920 to arrive.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I see the 920 as a phone that compromised practicality for unnecessary gimmicks. I believe the Ativ is the better Windows Phone overall.

DallasFann

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I chose 8X over 920 for multitude of reasons:
- I'm wary of Nokia's hardware after witnessing multitude of glitches and bugs in earlier Lumias, some of which were never fixed
- in UK Lumia 920 is locked to the most expensive mobile network (EE) and I don't want to switch or overpay for import phone from elsewhere
- in my experience HTC devices are the first to receive Windows Phone OS updates
- weight matters to me (yes, I am limp wristed, duh!)
- I don't believe Nokia's claims about the superiority of their cameras: both Lumias I've worked with had cameras clearly inferior to HTC's Titan
- I'm afraid of Nokia going under before the end of 18 months of update period of the phone, thus depriving me of WP8.5

And I'm really happy with my choice: 8X is really light but unlike older HTC devices it is also solid; the camera is great, so is the screen and the colour. The buttons are unusual but I like them - they are much better than pitiful Titan's power button.
Nokia has been very quick to push out firmware updates to fix issues with my L900 when they have been identified. I had a Titan that never once got an update to fix any of the multitude of issues it had. It was returned 4 times for overheating and rebooting and never got fixed before I went with the L900. I'll take Nokia build quality any day.

I will be curious when wireless charging is included in the Verizon 8X what kind of weight it adds.

On your last point I think HTC is in more trouble than Nokia at this point. Nokia keeps bleeding money but has other divisions to help while HTC has none of that.

With all that being said I do hope HTC pulls it together and hope the 8X is a hit. We need choices and so far its only Nokia and HTC really providing them.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia has been very quick to push out firmware updates to fix issues with my L900 when they have been identified. I had a Titan that never once got an update to fix any of the multitude of issues it had. It was returned 4 times for overheating and rebooting and never got fixed before I went with the L900. I'll take Nokia build quality any day.

I will be curious when wireless charging is included in the Verizon 8X what kind of weight it adds.

On your last point I think HTC is in more trouble than Nokia at this point. Nokia keeps bleeding money but has other divisions to help while HTC has none of that.

With all that being said I do hope HTC pulls it together and hope the 8X is a hit. We need choices and so far its only Nokia and HTC really providing them.

My wife's Titan also had to be returned due to overheating problems.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I must agree with the other here as the weight could be an issue. My Sammy Focus is listed at 119g. Moving to a device thats 55% heavier is not sparking my interests.

You can bet money that is why MSFT has buddied up with HTC. If Nokia cannot come with something other than a Lumia design in the very short-term there going to be in some serious trouble.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What it all comes down to is personal preference. I prefer a Lumia device (getting the 810 in a week, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 920 at some point). I won't lie, I'm loyal to Nokia. My first cell when I got my service in January 2002 was a Nokia. Every phone I've had since, with the exception of my iPhone, has been Nokia. I lost my favorite of all my Nokia phones in a big store in January of last year, which sucked. But I digress... It's also about the kind of features you want in your phone. I would always opt for a Nokia Lumia because you'll get regular firmware updates, you have great exclusive apps, terrific hardware, nice design, plus a phone that's very, very sturdy.

As for the Lumia 920 being "too heavy," well, I'm a petite woman and I don't care about the weight because I would carry my phone in my mini-backpack purse anyway. :p If I'm out on a walk and listening to music on my phone, it would more likely be in my hand than in my pocket. I also know I can easily handle a "heavy" phone because I used to use my iPhone 4 in a hefty battery case all the time. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I like the 8X's weight and size better.

I'm confident the 920 will stomp a mudhole in the 8X's *** in absolutely every other category however and now that the price is $99 it's am easy decision.

As far as why people support Nokia. I can only speak for myself, but I like their design language, especially the fact that it's original and not "inspired" by someone elses successful designs. I also really appreciate the fact that Nokia is 100% committed to Windows Phone and is an active partner in the development of the OS (Nokia is the reason all you HTC and Samsung owners will finally have a decent map and nav app, you're welcome) and all the Nokia exclusive apps of course.

HTC will have to do much, much better than make a lightweight Taiwanese Lumia knockoff to win me over.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I must agree with the other here as the weight could be an issue. My Sammy Focus is listed at 119g. Moving to a device thats 55% heavier is not sparking my interests.

You can bet money that is why MSFT has buddied up with HTC. If Nokia cannot come with something other than a Lumia design in the very short-term there going to be in some serious trouble.

No, Microsoft teamed up with HTC because HTC was willing to call their phone the "Windows Phone 8X" and forgo their own branding (easy choice since it has no value unlike the Lumia brand). It has nothing to do with weight.

I think it's a good thing though. Competition is good. The fact there is a Lumia makes HTC build a better phone. The fact there is an HTC makes Nokia build a better phone. The consumer wins both ways.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The unfortunate thing about the 920 is that the added heft was so they could add a high quality camera, but until they ship their undated firmware update, the 920 takes fuzzy, pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. :(

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The unfortunate thing about the 920 is that the added heft was so they could add a high quality camera, but until they ship their undated firmware update, the 920 takes fuzzy, pixelated and noisy out-of-focus pictures. :(

BlxpF.gif

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

This is absurd. Microsoft didn't "join forces" with HTC to conspire against evil Nokia for making a device that's 185 grams. You people are daft for complaining about the weight. Its a non issue for most people and even if they think it's heavy, it's just them whining. 50gs is negligible. That's 5% of a kilogram difference. I can barely tell the difference between 10 and 15 kilograms let alone a bloody 50 grams.

Quit whining and be thankful that we are getting a great selection of devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05