I dropped it

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I've had it for 4 days so it's about time I dropped the HTC 8X. (I'm quite clumsy).

It's all fine, except a small scratch on the top left of the phone.

The result is that the 'skin' has started to peel.

Sort of like when you get sun burn.

It seems that there is a glossy plastic under a matte skin.

I'll upload a picture when I can get to wifi (took it with the ipad)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You might call me mental - but i dropped my 8X screen down after a war of words with an iphone user just to prove that i could do it without a scratch appearing. No scratch and he refused to drop his after mine bounced and came back pristine. Ended the arguement and he bought me lunch.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You might call me mental - but i dropped my 8X screen down after a war of words with an iphone user just to prove that i could do it without a scratch appearing. No scratch and he refused to drop his after mine bounced and came back pristine. Ended the arguement and he bought me lunch.

You crazy!

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I think you might be mental. ;)

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It fell and slid a bit on a wooden floor. It was something that I did with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and that came back with a dent. This is a bit better than a dent. It's still a bit rubbish considering the lumia 800 had a few falls and didn't have any marks like this.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Nah, the soft touch finish on the phone is just a coating. All "rubberized soft touch" plastic is done this way. It's what makes it feel so good to the touch... Just be careful with it.

Exactly. Everyone is gaga over these soft touch finishes but you really have to be careful with them.

OptimusDims

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
All the corners of my HD7 had dimples after a few tumbles. One drop did help get the camera going again though!

Re the skin on the 8X it does feel like it could wear and get shiney around the corners after a while. Will have to watch that...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Everyone is gaga over these soft touch finishes but you really have to be careful with them.

If it's done correctly I think they will last. I had a Samsung d600 a million years ago that had that soft texture back, it lasted without peeling for 2 years. No case, in and out of pockets, waiter aprons, etc. Trust me, a restaurant is a bad place for a delicate phone.

sanki

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah quite possibly although i once drop kicked my old HTC HD7. 5ft drop followed by me trying to catch it, failing then kicking it across the hallway into a skirting board. Not a single scratch on it then. Kinda gives me faith in HTC build quality.
So the HTC Mozart really is the worst HTC WP device. I dropped it several times, and now it looks like S#&T. A lot of scratches, and material "bending" of some kind... despite aluminum and ceramic materials... or whatever they used for the Mozart casing.

I have other friends with HTC devices, and they're all very disappointed with the build quality of their devices. Another reason why I'll probably buy a Lumia 920

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have one of those hard rubber cases for me Optimus and one day I was on the beach, the cover took quite a bit of sand in but I kept using the phone anyway. When I took the cover out, it look like it was attacked by a wolverine. Shiny scratches every where, now it looks like a precious jewel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans