So anyone wondering why Nokia did exclusivity deals

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something? Did you mean to link a story? An interview with someone from Nokia? A analyst report?

He didn't, but it's a reasonable inference when you look at the disparity between the $99 Lumia 920 with 32GB of memory and a black charging pad that AT&T did a big pre-buy of versus $199 for an 8X with just 16GB or memory and no perks whatsoever.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Miss the front page of wpcentral? Referring to the price and free charge pad.

I never check the front-page - plus I'm English and here the exclusivity deal is with the most expensive network available at the high possible prices, there is no saving for the consumer that is relative to deals on any other network. So I'm still in the dark of the benefits for us.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I never check the front-page - plus I'm English and here the exclusivity deal is with the most expensive network available at the high possible prices, there is no saving for the consumer that is relative to deals on any other network. So I'm still in the dark of the benefits for us.

I know nothing about the European phone market so no comment. But now in the US the 920 is 1/3 of the price of the 32gb iPhone 5 on contract.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

You do know that you'll be able to get 920 on t-mobile and orange 3g networks as well, right?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
So anyone wondering why Nokia did exclusivity deals

Businesses have one thing in mind, what will make them the most money. I am not saying it's wrong by any means; it's just the way they think.

There is no doubt in my mind the exclusive deals by Nokia makes them more money.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Businesses have one thing in mind, what will make them the most money. I am not saying it's wrong by any means; it's just the way they think.

There is no doubt in my mind the exclusive deals by Nokia makes them more money.

At a time they need it as well.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The deal is amazing.

If this is what exclusivity does for Nokia, it's no wonder they did it.

And yet, I have a feeling that many of those that called Nokia "stupid" won't change their minds.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The new deal does look good, but the real test will be how many people switch networks to get the phone..
Here in the UK, the exclusivity arrangement doesn't seem to benefit anyone as the contract pricing is expensive, no freebies and the colour range is very limited

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I know nothing about the European phone market so no comment. But now in the US the 920 is 1/3 of the price of the 32gb iPhone 5 on contract.

And includes a free wireless charging pad + Nokia Drive & Maps which make the iPhone maps app look like something made by the folks at Fisher-Price.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
The 900 was also really cheap, but it didn't sell well at all.

I really hope AT&T will push the 920 hard.

They did a decent job selling the 900 (albeit some stores where better than others). I would imagine that with the marketing push Micronia is getting ready to roll out that they have an agreement in place with AT&T to drive consumers to the WP8 devices.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The new deal does look good, but the real test will be how many people switch networks to get the phone..
Here in the UK, the exclusivity arrangement doesn't seem to benefit anyone as the contract pricing is expensive, no freebies and the colour range is very limited

I'm not sure if the purpose of this deal is to make people switch carriers.

Well, I'm sure that's part of it. But I imagine that the main thing they want people to do is pick this phone with their AT&T upgrade.

AT&T would like it if Apple had less of a stranglehold on them.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
So I can have a Lumia 920 with free charge pad and an AT&T account with 10 GB of data and unlimited text/talk for a two-year all-in cost of $3,699 (plus tax), or a T-Mobile Windows Phone 8X with unlimited everything (and no data cap) for a two-year all-in cost of $1,878 (plus tax).

With the $1,821 I save going with T-Mobile, I can purchase all of the following:

1) An unlocked Lumia 920 with charge pad;
2) An X-Box 360 with two controllers;
3) A 45-inch SuperLED color HDTV;
4) One year of high-speed internet access...

And still get unlimited HSPA+42 that AT&T can't sell you at any price.

It doesn't seem like the consumer benefits much from "exclusivity" to me...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99