Anyone in UK got an L820 yet?

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Got one!

Went to CPW this lunchtime and enquired how many they had in stock. Two, just two was the answer.

I asked why I couldn't have one and showed her my preorder form. This showed on their system but she couldn't give me one BUT then she got on the phone and after a short wait while their system was updated I was allowed to take one. Yippee do da!

I'm at work so play time will have to wait until this evening.

It is gonna be a good weekend lol

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

You're gonna love it! It's fast and the screen is lovely. Have managed to set it up a bit.

My manager has a Nokia 610 as a spare phone, he came over for a look see and recommended some apps. Lol

conair346

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I basically harassed CPW into giving me answers. My handset had arrived on Thursday but apparently mine wasn't instore and I'd have to cancel my order to go to the other store across the street as they had it in stock.
On arrival to the store, the original one I ordered in, they had it. I pre-ordered black as that was all the computer would do, but it arrived in white (like I wanted). Sadly they couldnt close out my order as the charging plate was on a different delivery due to arrive yesterday about 1300. I went back to the store at 1330 having failed to get the call they promised me and we closed the order. They did very kindly refund the ?10 upfront handset cost for the ?33 tariff (Vodafone, unlimited texts/calls & 1GB+1GBWIFI). Also the shell it came in is the wireless + nfc shell.

I've taken the phone home and tried to put a memory card in the phone, it stuck on the NOKIA startup screen. Restarted without the memory card and now the phone has been reset properly twice, its restarted itself countless times and I'm also having to 3 finger death punch it or remove the battery - if I get more than 3 minutes use of it before it freezes I'm lucky. I'm ready to lob it back through the window of CPW as this is pathetic. A brand new phone, botched launch and its crashing with nothing on it - no third party apps, no pictures and no music.

Also noticed that CPW are offering the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, I did not get this with my handset. And to top it off, yesterday was my last day off until Wednesday. Doing 12 hour day shifts so I can't drive into the city to go mad. I have tweeted Stephen Elop and Nokia telling them I'm going to invoice them for the time they're taking up of my life to fix a broken product. Also emailed the tech support and CPW. Lets see how this one develops.

What I can say is that when I can get to use it, its amazing. The contact groups are way too smart - my mates are the same as my L710 and more of my best mates are there too; my family group has my immediate family and then extended family that I never bothered to add to the family group on my L710 - even ones that are just single names in the list and not connected any other way (weird, but incredibly smart). The tiles are great and the screen is super vibrant - much better than the L710 (looks quite pale in comparison). Such a shame.

Last edited:

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am pleased to say that I have FINALLY got myself hold of the simply stunning NOKIA Lumia 820, SIM Free, Black, from The Carphone Warehouse for ?379.95!

I wanted the 920, but unfortunately NOKIA aren't feeling well so at the moment the 'Exclusivity Period' prevents me from obtaining it as I'm on 3!

What a consolation prize though - looking forward to NOKIA releasing the OTA Update for 4G, at that point my 820 will feel more complete!

For my previous comments, go to the 920 Thread section and the article listed "The Farce of the NOKIA Lumia 920 in the UK" (author thread!)

________________ Edit _________________

Photos of my NOKIA Lumia 820 at the point of opening: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rplyons148/sets/72157631981985735/

Last edited:

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at the 820 and , not surprisingly, the sales staff can't answer the one question I have. If I buy a black phone (most stores only have this) is the only difference between this and the yellow/red phones the back cover? So when the back covers are available I can swap the back for a colour and it's the same as waiting for a red/yellow phone to become available or is the front also coloured?

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i got this phone on Saturday from cpw (no free charging pad though,they said this was only on the red,not sure if true but got ?15 refund). There are things i love and things i don't,some of these are OS issues but my main problems and why i may go back to my iphone4 is that the camera doesn't seem as good as my iphone despite having better specs. The other thing is the horrible resolution in internet explorer, it isn't a problem with the phone resolution as this seems fine in other areas but very poor in the browser. I haven't tried any other browsers but as they are built on top of ie i don't hold much hope. I have given myself the week to see how i get on but at the moment i am leaning towards going back to the dark side. :dry

craigy18181

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at the 820 and , not surprisingly, the sales staff can't answer the one question I have. If I buy a black phone (most stores only have this) is the only difference between this and the yellow/red phones the back cover? So when the back covers are available I can swap the back for a colour and it's the same as waiting for a red/yellow phone to become available or is the front also coloured?

Yes that is the only difference, you just swap the covers. The phone is the same for all colours.

Ryan_Nichol

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive got this phone had a few issues with ****ty microsoft my family crap but fully working now and seems pretty damn impressive just wanting a different colour case but cant find any to buy all pre orders

Mikeyglw

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Tried to buy the sim free version in CPW shop in Glasgow today and the sales assistant advised that the free charging pad and windows 8 upgrade is only for phones sold on contract. so will try another shop tomorrow i think

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Tried to buy the sim free version in CPW shop in Glasgow today and the sales assistant advised that the free charging pad and windows 8 upgrade is only for phones sold on contract. so will try another shop tomorrow i think

Nokia Lumia 820 | ?379.95 | Sim free | The Carphone Warehouse

According to this Carphone Warehouse web page the offer applies to SIM Free purchases.

Also, if you look at my NOKIA Lumia 820 photos @ NOKIA Lumia 820.1 CV GB 4G Ready (SIM Unlock) - a set on Flickr I can prove that the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade comes with it...unfortunately Carphone Warehouse forgot to send me a Wireless Charging Plate, but they've today posted off one for me Free of Charge and should arrive tomorrow!

Here are the Ts and Cs from CPW web site:

Offer open from 23/11/12 until 23/01/13 to UK residents 16 years of age or older. Purchase Lumia 820 in any Carphone Warehouse store, online or call centre. One claim per purchased qualifying Nokia Lumia 820. Visit Nokia Windows 8 Promotion 14 days after purchase and enter unique code and IMEI number. Redemptions accepted for up to 44 days after purchase (claims cannot be submitted for 14 days, leaving 30 day claim period).

Also quoted from CPW web site:

Wireless charging ? charge up without plugging in.

You can power up your Nokia Lumia 820 without cables or plugs. Simply lay your Lumia on a charging plate (wireless charging plate now available for FREE with your order) until you're ready to go. Put a plate in the kitchen, the office, the bedroom; the more plates you have, the more places you can easily charge.

Based on the official information from the CPW web site, all NOKIA Lumia 820 purchases quality for the Wireless Charging Plate + Windows 8 Pro Upgrade! (Don't get confused with the offer saying it starts on the 23rd, ALL 820s purchased before this period do quality as my 820 I purchased online on the 9th came with the sticker attached to it - again if you see my Flickr photos you'll see for your own eyes...with the receipt next to it!!).

Hope this may help you :)

Rick Crew

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got my L820 Sim-Free from CPW in East Kilbride last Thursday 8th and it came with free charging plate and the sticker for free Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Had to question the charging plate though as when the guy put it through the till it was charging ?44.95, but he phoned their support who told him just to apply ?44.95 discount. Will have to wait until 23rd to see if Windows 8 Upgrade works though.

sarah3585

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I had the same in Bournemouth, they had one white left, perfect I'll take it. But there was no charge plate with it when I asked he knew nothing about it and asked someone else who said it was just for contract phones :S I argued but got no where. In the end he discovered it was on reserve and couldn't sell it to me anyway. Sigh.

Trying to decide if I should hold out for stock to arrive and the staff be more educated on the free charge plate or just order online

People who did get the charge plate from CW, does it match the colour of the phone or is it random?

Mikeyglw

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Tried another CPW shop this time in Braehead was going to sell the the phone sim free with charging plate etc but did not have one in stock, but argyle st one had two they called to reserve it for me but could not as they wanted to keep it for contract customers only.

so bought it from P4U for ?359 with code to claim the wireless charger, i tell you been one **** of a week first of trying for 920 now happy with my 820 :)

M

bobo616

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Tried another CPW shop this time in Braehead was going to sell the the phone sim free with charging plate etc but did not have one in stock, but argyle st one had two they called to reserve it for me but could not as they wanted to keep it for contract customers only.

so bought it from P4U for ?359 with code to claim the wireless charger, i tell you been one **** of a week first of trying for 920 now happy with my 820 :)

M
I bought my phone online at CPW but no charging plate sent through (Windows upgrade sticker included though). I spoke to them and I was told that this was only on the red model, they said they could only credit me with ?15 but thats all they could do. I thought the charging plate was only worth ?20 so I didnt mind too much but since I have found it is worth ?45 I want to pursue it.

Can anyone confirm they have a black lumia 820 with the free charging plate. I believe rplyons was due to get sent one and I can see his invoice looks the same as mine so hopefully I can get it?

It seems judging by the various answers CPW are giving nobody really has a clue which is disappointing as I had hoped for better service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss