Just talked to an At&t rep about an early upgrade...

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh I see.. But you do have the option to order over the phone and then pick it up in store afterwards at whatever price you agreed to over the phone?
The original agreement was that they would leave a note saying I can get the early upgrade through the store and I would be able to go to any corporate store and get the phone that way.

DKDogz54

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Well intially, he told me $223 , then his manager got it down to 130.80, , so you might want to call back and say " Couple of my friends got it for $99" that should do it..I've done that and got it.
Didn't work for me. I'll just ask them to PM the corp store tomorrow and see where that goes.

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
An update on my situation: I got impatient and called AT&T back last night to try again. Instead of calling the 888 number the first rep gave me on Wednesday, I called 611 from my phone. I told the rep (Rebecca in South Dakota) I was calling to request an exception upgrade for the 2 900s on my family plan and she put them through at the 2-year contract price with no hesitation. She didn't need to ask a manager or anything, she even waived the upgrade fees! It's simply amazing how you can have two vastly different customer service experiences dealing with AT&T. My only recommendation to those who are having issues is to keep trying until you get someone who is willing to help. Right now both orders are showing as pending shipment, fingers crossed.

Also, I asked her about the wireless charger but she didn't have any info on it. If we don't receive them, we'll just go to a retail store and see if we can get them.

jaredhallows

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Three tries, three strikes.

Trying to upgrade my L900, bought a couple days after launch. First I called 611 and asked about an early upgrade option. The rep was very nice but said the best she could do was $250 + $99 + $36 upgrade fee. I told her no thank you and hung up. Second try, I called the closes AT&T store (50 miles away, I live in the sticks) and asked about my options. They were very arrogant and rude and would not even entertain the thought. Third try, call 611 again and requested an "exception upgrade" as in the post above mine. The rep was incredible nice, looked it up and offered me $199 without the charge plate. Then he said he would research and see if he could knock it down to the $99 upgrade price. He put me on hold and came back several minutes later, was very apologetic, and said the best he could do was the $199. I think I'm going to wait a few days and see if any momentum builds from all the 900 upgrade requests. I'm really not too fussed if I can't upgrade for a while, but it would be nice. Maybe I'll try calling again in a day or two. Congrats to all those who were able to make it work.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tried to upgrade in store - had bought the 900 in April, the rep told me the earliest I could upgrade was November next year and if I wanted to upgrade now, it was $250+$99. I tried my best to pursuade him but no dice... will try calling ATT today.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried to upgrade in store - had bought the 900 in April, the rep told me the earliest I could upgrade was November next year and if I wanted to upgrade now, it was $250+$99. I tried my best to pursuade him but no dice... will try calling ATT today.

that's been my experience too, in store was $250 + 99. Got L900 back in April.

called the 611 number, said my upgrade date of nov was too far out, apologized that she couldnt do anything.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Op here. Worked for me...I called AT&T and they gave me the lumia for 99 but it took a bit of work. The easiest and sneakiest way to do it is to call AT&T and tell them u were disconnected with a service rep who was getting her manager to get a price override but while on hold you were disconnected and now ur calling back. If it doesn't work the first time try calling a few other times. I was skeptical at first but it's absolutely possible cause I just got my lumia ordered for 99. Having a premiere account and always making payments on time might be the differentiator here so best of luck to you guys. Let me know how it went for you

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, for all of you guys who are trying to get the lumia for 99 at your local AT&T store, I went down to mine and the guy was extremely cool. He told me if I really wanted the phone for 99 I would have to call AT&T cause they have the power to override while AT&T reps at a store do not. So the only way to get this price is by calling AT&T and waiting a week or so for the phone to arrive

Toolzero

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
After reading all of the success stories I had to try this.

Phone 1: upgrade eligible 10/2013
Phone 2: upgrade eligible now
Phone 3: upgrade eligible 3/2013

Long story short:
I called 611.
I was as friendly as possible.
Phone 1: upgraded to L920 cyan for $99
Phone 2: upgraded to iPhone 5 for $199
Phone 3: upgraded to L920 cyan for $99

All upgrade fees waved. Free shipping.

I didn't want to press my luck about the free chargers. The girl I was talking to and I had been on the phone for 90 minutes at that point. So I'm going to call back on Monday about them.

Thank you guys for posting your success stories. I would never have tried this otherwise.

One last detail. The girl wasn't sure of the ship dates on the L920's. She said it might be a few weeks. We'll see. I hope the come sooner.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Two reps of 611 so far have said no. The second lady was very nice and suggested I could sell my "Lumina" to get some extra cash so I could afford an upgrade :confused: :mad:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
After reading all of the success stories I had to try this.

Phone 1: upgrade eligible 10/2013
Phone 2: upgrade eligible now
Phone 3: upgrade eligible 3/2013

Long story short:
I called 611.
I was as friendly as possible.
Phone 1: upgraded to L920 cyan for $99
Phone 2: upgraded to iPhone 5 for $199
Phone 3: upgraded to L920 cyan for $99

All upgrade fees waved. Free shipping.

I didn't want to press my luck about the free chargers. The girl I was talking to and I had been on the phone for 90 minutes at that point. So I'm going to call back on Monday about them.

Thank you guys for posting your success stories. I would never have tried this otherwise.

One last detail. The girl wasn't sure of the ship dates on the L920's. She said it might be a few weeks. We'll see. I hope the come sooner.

My upgrade eligible is 11/2013, and they refused. I wonder if that one month (1 yr from now) makes a difference, or the fact that you upgraded 3 lines.

Anyone with upgrade eligible date of 11/2013 had any luck?

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
My upgrade eligible is 11/2013, and they refused. I wonder if that one month (1 yr from now) makes a difference, or the fact that you upgraded 3 lines.

Anyone with upgrade eligible date of 11/2013 had any luck?

I've tried 4 times to get the upgrade price. I was even ready for the $200 or $250. I got the NL900 in April as well. As soon as they look at the account, all of them said that I was only 7 months into the contract and there is nothing they can do about it.

I got so pissed and ordered the Red 920 at full price just now with overnight shipping. I guess, it is what it is for me. I live in NJ BTW..

anon(361265)

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Two reps of 611 so far have said no. The second lady was very nice and suggested I could sell my "Lumina" to get some extra cash so I could afford an upgrade :confused: :mad:

I was at Target yesterday asking when they would get the Lumia, and the salesperson said she had never heard of the "Leukemia". I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

UnnDunn

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I got an early upgrade for my Lumia 920 purchase. But I had to nearly go postal on the poor sales clerk to get it. And they made me buy $250 worth of accessories (which I plan to return in the next couple of days.)

Combined with the fact that I sold my Lumia 900 on eBay for $200, I'm going to wind up breaking even, with a new phone and my contract extended by 6 months.

Not bad.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I just bit the bullet and did the usual early upgrade, $99 + $250. Totally worth it, though. I'll try to grab a free charger pad (not sure I'll even use it) when the Nokia Free Charger site is up.

Chris Rosko

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I called att a month or so ago about an upgrade for my Focus that was due december 14th of this year.

I asked for an early upgrade to an iPhone 5 and was rejected immediately. No questions, no reasoning, just a denial and a "Can I help you with anything else?"

Called today and have a 920 coming with the free charging plate sometime early this week.

Not sure if it's because I am closer to the upgrade or because its a WP and not an iPhone, but I am not complaining.

Went with the matte black over the matte cyan, still not sure if I made the right choice, but after playing with one in person I knew for sure that WP8 was enough of a jump to stay with WP even after being somewhat less than happy with my samsung focus and wp7/7.5.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thee at&t website tells me my upgrade date is 1-13-13. What your guys' thoughts on asking for an upgrade to the L920 on the 13th of this month?

AT&T changed their policy a while back, so your upgrade date is always the first of the month, on the month you are due to upgrade. So, if your upgrade date is 1/13/13 (assuming early upgrade which is usually 21 months) then you would be eligible on 1/1/13. Would be worth trying to push them for a few weeks. Unfortunately I am not due till 1/1/14, so wouldn't expect much sympathy from AT&T.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo