Just talked to an At&t rep about an early upgrade...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade in November 2013, the lady told me that I didn't qualify For an early upgrade yet. Kind of sucks as I got this phone in April.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bit the bullet and did the usual early upgrade, $99 + $250. Totally worth it, though. I'll try to grab a free charger pad (not sure I'll even use it) when the Nokia Free Charger site is up.

i got that offer in store, but not on the phone cust service.

where did you get this quote?

i wonder if i should wait when the 99 plan drops. the other retailers like walmart is selling for 50. i suspect amazon will too. depending on how well it sells, the price will change in the coming months.

Chris Rosko

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I called att a month or so ago about an upgrade for my Focus that was due december 14th of this year.

I asked for an early upgrade to an iPhone 5 and was rejected immediately. No questions, no reasoning, just a denial and a "Can I help you with anything else?"

Called today and have a 920 coming with the free charging plate sometime early this week.

Not sure if it's because I am closer to the upgrade or because its a WP and not an iPhone, but I am not complaining.

Went with the matte black over the matte cyan, still not sure if I made the right choice, but after playing with one in person I knew for sure that WP8 was enough of a jump to stay with WP even after being somewhat less than happy with my samsung focus and wp7/7.5.

Update:

Recieved shipping info and they overnighted it for free.

Ordered Sat nov 10th at ~7pm, supposed to arrive by 430 pm nov 12th.

Bonus points to the att rep I had that overnighted it for free and to att for getting it out that night even so late on a saturday.

Good luck to everyone else

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Gonna try this either tonight or tomorrow. I have a new launch day contract lumia. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not only did I get an early upgrade ( November instead of May) and get the lumia for $99, but I called AT&T and told them Walmart is selling it for $49 and received a credit on my next bill. I am beyond thrilled at this point. I was able to get the phone one year into my contract for nearly free on top of a free charger! Can't beat that deal

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
i got that offer in store, but not on the phone cust service.

where did you get this quote?

ATT will allow an early upgrade to any device (in my experience) for the upgrade price of the device, plus $250, so long as you're at least six months into your current contract. This offer can only be taken advantage of in stores.

Now that I'm seeing all the success stories about calling AT&T customer service and getting an early upgrade at the listed upgrade price, it makes me wish I had tried that route. But, I also wanted the instant gratification of having the phone in hand on launch day, right then and there. Ah, well. Too late to second guess now.

crackdezberries

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Its weird how the cust reps on the phone are. It really just boils down to who you get, it took me two calls to get the 199 price. My eligibility is for 11/13/2013 and I got the lumia 900 on launch day. First call was basically a you have to wait till the 13th to hit 6 months and get the 349 pricing, I said bye, next call I explained that im given an option to get an iphone5 for the discount price and why I wasn't able to do so with the 920, she then took a couple minutes and told me she can early upgrade me for the 199 price. Im happy with that, I will call concerning the free charger later today. Now to wait for this yellow 920 to finally ship :/

crackdezberries

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
oh and the messed up part of it all, was my girlfriend called multiple reps and they all told her they can't give her the update price and she even referenced how I got the discount and they responded with "sorry I don't know how he was able to get that price" and one rep had the nerves to till her she can't preorder over the phone and that there is no way she can get the phone cheaper then 349...we went to a store and I had spike to the rep if there was any way she could get an exceptional upgrade, and he said if she adds a home line as a second line she could get it for the 99 price. We needed a home phone so why not, 20 bucks a month and she got her white 920 for 99.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Its weird how the cust reps on the phone are. It really just boils down to who you get, it took me two calls to get the 199 price. My eligibility is for 11/13/2013 and I got the lumia 900 on launch day. First call was basically a you have to wait till the 13th to hit 6 months and get the 349 pricing, I said bye, next call I explained that im given an option to get an iphone5 for the discount price and why I wasn't able to do so with the 920, she then took a couple minutes and told me she can early upgrade me for the 199 price. Im happy with that, I will call concerning the free charger later today. Now to wait for this yellow 920 to finally ship :/

yes, I'm eligible for the early iphone 5 upgrade too, while my reg upgrade date is 11/2013.
perhaps i will ask them about that like you did.

so 199, any activation fee? free charger too?

crackdezberries

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
yes, I'm eligible for the early iphone 5 upgrade too, while my reg upgrade date is 11/2013.
perhaps i will ask them about that like you did.

so 199, any activation fee? free charger too?
Im going to call about the free charger, no activation so far lol, I only have a charge of 213...and yes as soon as I heard her say 199 I said okay just to lock that price before jumping hoops with more reps, anything cheaper the 349 was good for me, considering I paid that for the 900 in April :(

giggles

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Called this morning two times. I explained to them that I bought the lumia 900 launch day, bought into a dead platform, heard other people were getting upgrades and could I get any exceptional upgrades. 1st guy talked to his manager and said no. 2nd he me on hold and was looking for any notification or notes of the lumia situation found none and both said there was nothing they could do for me. Guess ill call back later today. Any tips?

I switched to AT&T from Sprint back in April for the Lumia 900, so I'm only 6-7 months into a 2-year contract. On a lark, last week I decided to log onto att.com and check my upgrade status, just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, I had an upgrade available to me! Not an early upgrade, but a full upgrade so long as I re-signed a two-year contract.

Yesterday morning I logged back in, crossing my fingers that it was not a mistake, and the upgrade was still there. So I pre-ordered a cyan Lumia 920 and it should arrive tomorrow.

Also did the same thing. Checked online and all I have is the early upgrade :/

Last edited:

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
For all those still not having luck getting the $99 upgrade, here's my story (in summary):

Called/chatted AT&T reps about a total of ten times on Thursday. The final try proved to be the charm. The rep allowed the early upgrade, all fees were waived AND I received the free wireless charger.

I only started with AT&T in December 2011 when I bought my Galaxy S II.

There is hope for all! Like others have been saying, it's all about which rep you talk to. AND BE NICE, it does wonders. :)

zishbu

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is hope for all! Like others have been saying, it's all about which rep you talk to. AND BE NICE, it does wonders. :)

THIS. Again, I bought Lumia 900 near launch. Upgrade date of 2013. I called ATT after reading the forum posts and after being polite, a little persistence, and working with great service reps on my first call I was able to get the pricing. The first rep won't give you the deal, you'll need to talk for a bit, reject their offer and request to speak to a manager. They'll oblige, be polite and request again.

I worked with many ATT reps over the years, managing a SMB phone account. Most of them are willing to help you if you remain calm, but firm in your request.

Cyan 920 with charging mat, $99 + $36 activation ordered through the same rep. Phone is on back order, will ship first and the free mat will ship later as soon as available.

As I said in my blog post linked above, ATT should do this for their customers if they ask. It's not ATT's fault that MS and Nokia made this decision, but to recognize that and STILL help the customers who want to pay them money and extend their contracts, it just makes sense...

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I've tried 4 times now and been embarassedly but emphatically DENIED. I really wanted to upgrade my personal line, but luckily for me I have a corporate line which is eligible for an upgrade.
Till today, I had a personal policy which stated that my corporate phone needed to be as un-sexy as possible compared to my personal phone, which meant that I would check work email less. Oh well :( Anything for a red 920!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
THIS. Again, I bought Lumia 900 near launch. Upgrade date of 2013. I called ATT after reading the forum posts and after being polite, a little persistence, and working with great service reps on my first call I was able to get the pricing. The first rep won't give you the deal, you'll need to talk for a bit, reject their offer and request to speak to a manager. They'll oblige, be polite and request again.

I worked with many ATT reps over the years, managing a SMB phone account. Most of them are willing to help you if you remain calm, but firm in your request.

Cyan 920 with charging mat, $99 + $36 activation ordered through the same rep. Phone is on back order, will ship first and the free mat will ship later as soon as available.

As I said in my blog post linked above, ATT should do this for their customers if they ask. It's not ATT's fault that MS and Nokia made this decision, but to recognize that and STILL help the customers who want to pay them money and extend their contracts, it just makes sense...

what month was your upgrade in 2012?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a white Lumia 920. Wasn't elegible for upgrade until Jan 2013. Went into a corporate store where I was given the device upgrade cost + 250. Walked outside called 611 and got the 250 waived. Walked back inside handed my phone to the MoD. Walked out with a new phone. They didn't have any of the chargers onhand but they are mailing it to me.

Not sure how many devices this store was sent but I got the last one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos