HTC 8X is not a flagship device.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Also, I read somewhere (but forgot the source) that Microsoft approach every OEM out there and asked if they want to name their device as the "Flagship" of the Windows Phone. Only HTC accepted, hence the name Windows Phone 8X. Nokia didn't want to because they wanted to promote the "Lumia" line of products. And so, that is how the 8X became the signature phone of WP8!

Makes sense.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ruined - The points you make are mainly all valid. The only thing i can think of to respond is - Does it matter? - Is it a flagship phone? Maybe... maybe not. If your comparing it to the other WP8 devices even the youve still got to question which phone is the flagship phone. The 8X, 920 and Ativ S all have there own little... Lets call them "perks" but on a practical basis you should pick your next phone based on whats right for you. Whether or not its got a flagship designation shouldnt make any difference. If your choosing a phone purely for its flagship status so you can get into an "ive got a bigger dick" contest with another phone user then your going about life all wrong.

Ive got an 8X and am incredibly happy with it. I didnt pick it because it was the first WP8 phone out the blocks, I didnt pick it because its "supposedly" HTC's flagship, I didnt pick it because im an HTC ******. I picked it because it gives me everything i need.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Ruined - The points you make are mainly all valid. The only thing i can think of to respond is - Does it matter? - Is it a flagship phone? Maybe... maybe not. If your comparing it to the other WP8 devices even the youve still got to question which phone is the flagship phone. The 8X, 920 and Ativ S all have there own little... Lets call them "perks" but on a practical basis you should pick your next phone based on whats right for you. Whether or not its got a flagship designation shouldnt make any difference. If your choosing a phone purely for its flagship status so you can get into an "ive got a bigger dick" contest with another phone user then your going about life all wrong.

Ive got an 8X and am incredibly happy with it. I didnt pick it because it was the first WP8 phone out the blocks, I didnt pick it because its "supposedly" HTC's flagship, I didnt pick it because im an HTC ******. I picked it because it gives me everything i need.
Probably the most sensible post on this forum I've seen in a long long time.

mikejets89

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would love the 920 but im stuck with t mobile so the 8x is for me im not paying for an unlock 920 the 8x is pretty badass it a big upgrade over my hd7.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
What a stupid thread.

The flagship moniker matters little to nothing at all - if a device does what you want for the price you want, get it. If it doesn't, don't.

Gyro not really a problem btw - MS provide an API that lets you combine accelerometer and compass data to approximate a gyro pretty well.

If you need 32gb storage get a different phone. As far as I'm concerned, the storage is plenty for me, and the hardship of plugging in a charger doesn't really warrant extra cash for a plate the phone still has to sit on anyway. I love the 920, but the 8X is probably my favourite phone recently (and I've had a One X, an iPhone 4, two iPhone 4Ss, an S2, an Evo3D and an HD2 this year).

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Anyone calling the HTC 8x a "flagship" is misusing the title. The 8x is a very good phone that will be perfect for many users, plus it has a style that uniquely suits Windows Phone.

That being said, does anyone thing HTC is done for this round. No doubt HTC will be coming out with a more feature packed phone in the next few months. That is something we can all be happy about.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Agree.

8X is good but not flagship good. If this is the best, the cream of the crop and top of the line product for HTC then they should be ashamed (16GB is really too small).

It is a common marketing strategy (or could be technical) to release a less featured "good enough" product to make way for a more featured or better product later. The way Apple always does. People line up to buy ipad mini now, and then they stupidly line up again to buy ipad mini with retina display later on. Apple wins. More sales.

I truly believe HTC is working on a higher end product, in line with their OneX+.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
You're right, you will get flamed for this, but it is not undeserving.

I don't understand what you mean by saying it's not a flagship phone. At the current moment, at this release it is the flagship phone, along with the 920. It's silly to think that just because it doesn't have what you desire in a smartphone that it can't be a flagship device. Honestly, very few people want a 5" screen on their device, one of the biggest reasons that I believe that iPhones sell more than any other device on the market. Bigger is not always better, 4 cores doesn't help anything, either. If you'd do your homework you'd realize that only apps programmed to work with 4 cores can make any use out of them, otherwise you just end up using more power for nothing. The difference between a 2 core cpu on a phone and a 4 core cpu is so negligible it isn't even recognizable by humans, we're talking nanoseconds of difference.

So sure there might be a "better" phone coming in 2013, but I'd like to remark that that phone likely won't see the light of day until at least summer. If you keep comparing phones to phones that do not exist on the market today people will begin to think of your arguments as though you were arguing, "the iPhone 5 isn't a flagship phone because there is another one coming out next year that will have a better processor and more cores and maybe a bigger screen!" when the fact of the matter is, more phones will come out every year and last year's flagship will get trumped every year so... thanks for the vapid argument :)

JamesAD60

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
We are not talking about a next generation phone, as with an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy S4. HTC was rumored to be working on three WP8 phones, but has only introduced the mid and low end models. The high end phone is apparently delayed.

What we are expecting to see is something comparable to the Titan 2 and the One X with 32GB and/or MicroSD and a 4.6 in screen. We expect it by early next year and that it won't replace a current model.

I consider the Lumia 920 and the Ativ S models to be flagships for their respective manufacturers. HTC still has theirs under wraps. Buyers who like that kind of phone may want to wait.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Excuse me: 8X has a gyro. I have a level app and it works. As to the display... it is absolutely stunning in detail and colors. There is a 32Gb version also, but it is either not available yet or only in some markets. HTC has designed a fine phone and it is ergonomic... Well thought out. Good grip, does not slide in your hand, power button on top avoids accidental ons. We can argue that the Lumia 920 has some great features, but it lacks where the 8X shines.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I disagree.

On the scale of WP8 devices, the 8X is a flagship phone. It's got mostly equivalent specs to the top of the line phone on this platform. I say, as of right now, HD resolution, 16-32 GB and 1 GB of RAM, good camera and other extras is about as flagship as it gets for us.

There are no quad core WP8 phones yet and even if there were, we have a library of apps written mostly for single core phones, so a quad core would do little for performance if anything.

5" phone screens are just ridiculous, so to make that the standard is asinine. Resolution is what matters. You can have all the 4.8-5" 1280x720 screens you want. I'll stick with my 4.5" 1280x768 screen, thanks. Until they make a significantly higher res 4.8"-5" screen all you're getting is more glass and bigger pixels and phones that are getting increasingly uncomfortable to carry in the pocket of your favorite shorts.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me: 8X has a gyro. I have a level app and it works. As to the display... it is absolutely stunning in detail and colors. There is a 32Gb version also, but it is either not available yet or only in some markets. HTC has designed a fine phone and it is ergonomic... Well thought out. Good grip, does not slide in your hand, power button on top avoids accidental ons. We can argue that the Lumia 920 has some great features, but it lacks where the 8X shines.

You do not need a gyro for a level app to work. MS has an API that emulates a gyro using the accelerometer and compass, though it is not as accurate as a true gyro.

The reason it is stated that the HTC has no gyro is because:
-HTC's specs for the device indicates a lack of a gyro
-Windows Phone diagnostics run on the HTC 8X indicate a lack of a gyro
-Therefore, these two things combined logically dictate a lack of gyro.

Regarding the 32GB version, I do not believe that exists. According to the HTC specs I have seen, the HTC 8X is actually 8gb or 16gb. I have no heard of a 32gb variant - that territory belongs to the HTC Zenith.

That being said, if they released a 32gb-64gb version or simply put a MicroSD slot in the current version that would be what the device sorely needs for flagship status.

Last edited:

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You do not need a gyro for a level app to work. MS has an API that emulates a gyro using the accelerometer and compass, though it is not as accurate as a true gyro.

The reason it is stated that the HTC has no gyro is because:
-HTC's specs for the device indicates a lack of a gyro
-Windows Phone diagnostics run on the HTC 8X indicate a lack of a gyro
-Therefore, these two things combined logically dictate a lack of gyro.

Regarding the 32GB version, that would bring it more in the class of the Nokia 920, although it is worth noting again the gyro difference as well as the screen size difference.

.2 inches makes hardly any difference. I agree they should've offered a 32GB model, but the sim free 8X is ?100 cheaper than the sim free 920. So it makes up for it in my mind

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree but the specs are so close that if you're going to call the 920 a flagship then the 8X is too IMO. They are in the same class.

I believe the items outlined in my original post put the 920 in a notably higher class. You may not value those things, and you may even prefer the 8X. But specwise that 920 is ahead in enough areas to separate the two in different classes - this is why HTC has the higher end Zenith coming out.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I believe the items outlined in my original post put the 920 in a notably higher class. You may not value those things, and you may even prefer the 8X. But specwise that 920 is ahead in enough areas to separate the two in different classes - this is why HTC has the higher end Zenith coming out.

It's ahead in storage, camera (Low light only i may add) and Nokia apps. 8X beats it in sound, FFC (By a long way) and design and feel. 4.3" is perfect for a flagship. It feels great in the hands, unlike a 4.5" screen and upwards.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe the size it a personal opinion, I use a htc titan and still believe it's a tad small. So im not completely wow'd downgrading .2" lol
I hope to see a 5" wp8 device
I'm a big guy with phat fingers.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If you believe there is going to be a better HTC WP8 Device then your probably right but to say that they will bring it out early next year, Well I think you might be disappointed.

Why would Microsoft bring out a update for WP to support a Quad-Core device straight after they have only just optimised it to use Dual-Core? I think you will be waiting until WP9.

And if your idea of a flagship is having a bigger but less usable screen and a processor which will not give any noticeable performance and infact might drain the battery quicker then I would rather stick with my Non Flagship 8X.

By the way HTC Flagship phones have a X in them like the One X and One X +.

Your pretty much basing your whole "theory" around the fact that the 8X only has 16GB well the New Nexus 4 only has 16GB and the best selling iPhone is the 16GB model.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you believe there is going to be a better HTC WP8 Device then your probably right but to say that they will bring it out early next year, Well I think you might be disappointed.

HTC themselves have stated they have a WP8 model with a bigger screen coming out "soon." How soon is up for debate, of course.

Why would Microsoft bring out a update for WP to support a Quad-Core device straight after they have only just optimised it to use Dual-Core? I think you will be waiting until WP9.

Microsoft is a large software company with a lot of resources. They have great experience optimizing for multithreading. Their first update to WP7 happened within 6 months of the OS release, don't see why the same can't happen with WP8.

And if your idea of a flagship is having a bigger but less usable screen and a processor which will not give any noticeable performance and infact might drain the battery quicker then I would rather stick with my Non Flagship 8X.

Screen and processor are not the only benchmarks. As I stated before, there are a number of premium features that the 8X are missing or is underspec'd in. That is not to say its not a great phone - it sounds like it is quite balanced.

By the way HTC Flagship phones have a X in them like the One X and One X +.

Microsoft was heavily involved in the marketing of this phone. What sense would it make to market a $199 phone as a "midrange" model when the high end won't be out for 4-6 months after it is released, and also with Verizon then having no flagship at all at launch? A lot of people would wait for the "flagship," just like a lot are passing on the Nokia 822 and waiting for the 920. Plus, Verizon might experience poor launch sales (opposite of what MS wants) until a "flagship" is available.

Your pretty much basing your whole "theory" around the fact that the 8X only has 16GB well the New Nexus 4 only has 16GB and the best selling iPhone is the 16GB model.

16GB is really no longer enough for these phones if you are a power user. That is why Apple offers 32gb and 64gb versions of their phones, and there are android phones that have potentially up to 100gb in space.

How do I know this? I have owned a 16GB HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7 for 2 years. Just with my WP7 apps alone, I am approaching the max space constraints. How could I possibly believe that with WP8's increased power and new round of apps that I will not grossly go over the 16gb I have nearly filled in the next 2 years? It makes no sense.

So yes, the 16GB on this phone is a big deal-killer for me on this phone on many others. It may be enough for TODAY, but looking ahead a year from now you may be wishing you waited for a 32gb+ model or one with a microsd slot. This is why I cannot envision this phone as a flagship, the storage space will cripple it over time as apps get larger and you get more of them.

I am not trying to talk trash about this phone, but I do think we got a midrange model that was tweaked and propped up as a high end model. It is missing some of the signature high end features that even the WP7 phones of 2012 had (nevermind WP8) and does not have the storage space capabilities of a high end device.

This phone may do most people wonders, and it has been my primary recommendation to those who need a phone now. But if you are into getting a lot of games/apps and maybe want to throw some media on too this phone simply is not going to cut it for the next 2 years. If you buy phones off contract frequently and don't mind selling this when the space becomes problematic or if you are a casual user, then that is a different story.

If they took this same phone, upped the screen size to 4.5"-4.8", added a microsd slot and a gyro, I would buy it instantly even for $299. Hopefully we'll get more news out of HTC soon about their flagship "Zenith" model and its release date.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)