HTC 8X is not a flagship device.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Phablets are stupid.

Perhaps, but remember with the 16:9 aspect ratio of this phone, the screen size in width is closer to a 4" WP7 device than a 4.3" WP7 device; this phone has black letterboxing at the top for some apps due to this. i.e. The WP7 Nokia 900 has a wider screen than this device.

So if you liked the width of WP7 4.3" devices, you need to get at least a 4.5" 16:9 device.

Note the Lumia 920 is the same aspect as the old WP7 phones so it is just as wide.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe the items outlined in my original post put the 920 in a notably higher class. You may not value those things, and you may even prefer the 8X. But specwise that 920 is ahead in enough areas to separate the two in different classes - this is why HTC has the higher end Zenith coming out.

I do value those things and I have a 920. I'm not sure about the Zenith. I just think of the 8X as a high-end phone because I consider the Lumia 510 and 610 to be the low end. The 8S and 820 are the mid-level and the 920 and 8X to be the high end.

Actually, if you look at the world instead of just the U.S. the real low-end would be the Symbian Series 40 phones (Nokia Asha) and the low end Android devices like the Samsung Galaxy Ace etc.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's ahead in storage, camera (Low light only i may add) and Nokia apps. 8X beats it in sound, FFC (By a long way) and design and feel. 4.3" is perfect for a flagship. It feels great in the hands, unlike a 4.5" screen and upwards.

I'm confident that you have no idea whether or not the 8X "beats it in sound". The 8X has "Beats" sound processing and the Nokia has Dolby, which is actually a serious company, not a meaningless hip hop rapper brand label.

FFC I have no idea. I don't use that feature. You may be right there.

4.3" I'm with you on that. I prefer a smaller phone. That said, I'm surprised to say I don't mind the 4.5" and the 1280x768 is very nice when surfing webpages.

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Whether or not it's a "flagship" is totally a matter of semantics and it's pretty much meaningless to argue about it. HTC says it's their flagship, it's their flagship. End of story. Refusing to allow it the label because it doesn't hit a few checkboxes on your personal list accomplishes nothing and helps no one.

Frankly, the design is incredible. I checked one out at the AT&T store before I bought my girlfriend's 920, and it just felt great in hand. The size, shape, and the material were just perfect. Loved the color. Screen looked gorgeous. I still went with the Lumia 920 due to double the internal memory, wireless charging, super-sensitive screen, Nokia Drive, and no "Beats Audio" nonsense. Girlfriend went with the Lumia due to the increased memory and for Nokia Music (she's a big music streamer).

If HTC doesn't give up and iterates with some things to challenge the Lumia, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up for my next phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel