Can someone who buys an AT&T Lumia 920 Test a T-Mobile (US) microsim?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Trying to buy via website (to get the Cyan).
It's forcing me to get a plan.
It also asking for my SSN.

Are they going to run my credit?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you want cyan, you can buy it directly from a Microsoft Store. Two near me had cyan (and went and saw it in person). I'm on a quest for yellow, and it looks like I'll have to deal with the b.s. of ordering online through AT&T, including having to add a plan even though I want to order it off-contract to use with an MVNO.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd be shocked (unless you have some kind of dispensation) if AT&T unlocked it. When I bought the 900 off contract they said they were more than happy to unlock it for me until they went and searched for the unlock code and said it isn't in their system. Lo and behold once the 6 month exclusive ended the codes magically appeared in their systems!

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If you want cyan, you can buy it directly from a Microsoft Store. Two near me had cyan (and went and saw it in person). I'm on a quest for yellow, and it looks like I'll have to deal with the b.s. of ordering online through AT&T, including having to add a plan even though I want to order it off-contract to use with an MVNO.

WAT?!

Was it for AT&T?
It's it unlocked?
How much is it?

Edit: Just called the Times Square holiday store, supposedly they don't stock 920...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the FCC ID (should be either on the box or imprinted on the back of the phone) "PYAA" ?

If so, the phone is physically capable of AWS 3G as it is the same physical hardware as the Rogers and Dev phones. If it's missing..it's due to firmware locking.

Edit: I see from ProfessorTripp's photo that it is indeed PYAA. So..it's the same hardware just a gimped firmware to make it unusable on the competition's network. Lame.

Next question: How soon can the XDA guys figure out how to put the dev firmware on the at&t phone :p

Last edited:

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the FCC ID (should be either on the box or imprinted on the back of the phone) "PYAA" ?

If so, the phone is physically capable of AWS 3G as it is the same physical hardware as the Rogers and Dev phones. If it's missing..it's due to firmware locking.

Edit: I see from ProfessorTripp's photo that it is indeed PYAA. So..it's the same hardware just a gimped firmware to make it unusable on the competition's network. Lame.

Next question: How soon can the XDA guys figure out how to put the dev firmware on the at&t phone :p

So basically we come back to the same conclusion that we won't know for sure until someone puts a T-Mobile microsim into the AT&T 920 and tells us what happens.

Though if this is true, I would be so ready to put the dev firmware on the AT&T 920 if it is possible for the folks at XDA to do this.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So basically we come back to the same conclusion that we won't know for sure until someone puts a T-Mobile microsim into the AT&T 920 and tells us what happens.

Though if this is true, I would be so ready to put the dev firmware on the AT&T 920 if it is possible for the folks at XDA to do this.

Even it is the same model, we are not sure if AT&T model is different product or it is just has 1700 frequency disable. Also, as far as I know, we cannot put different firmware on different 920 yet. Someone at XDA already tried but Navifirm would not allow to flash over the current firmware. Best guess is to wait for new approach.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Even it is the same model, we are not sure if AT&T model is different product or it is just has 1700 frequency disable. Also, as far as I know, we cannot put different firmware on different 920 yet. Someone at XDA already tried but Navifirm would not allow to flash over the current firmware. Best guess is to wait for new approach.

And the worst case scenario would be to wait until T-Mobile finishes refarming their network because then regular unlocked versions will work fine. But I have no idea if their estimated completion of "by the end of 2012" is still accurate.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
And the worst case scenario would be to wait until T-Mobile finishes refarming their network because then regular unlocked versions will work fine. But I have no idea if their estimated completion of "by the end of 2012" is still accurate.

Well T-Mobile "by the end of 2012" could be understood as major cities have 1900 Mhz. We are very close to 2013 and they only announced yesterday 3 more major locations. That not enough. Still, by the time AT&T ends 6 months exclusive, I guess we could all use 920 with T-Mobile 4G. Heck by CES 2013, Nokia properly gonna come out another Lumia for summer release with WP8.5 or whatever it will be called. At this point, you better off with Roger version or dev version which they are pretty much the same, as Roger version has carrier branding in the phone, however, price is not cheap at all.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Well T-Mobile "by the end of 2012" could be understood as major cities have 1900 Mhz. We are very close to 2013 and they only announced yesterday 3 more major locations. That not enough. Still, by the time AT&T ends 6 months exclusive, I guess we could all use 920 with T-Mobile 4G. Heck by CES 2013, Nokia properly gonna come out another Lumia for summer release with WP8.5 or whatever it will be called. At this point, you better off with Roger version or dev version which they are pretty much the same, as Roger version has carrier branding in the phone, however, price is not cheap at all.

That's a good point. I forgot that in terms of technology CES is right around the corner. At that point then it would be more beneficial to get the newer model. I'm thinking maybe get an 8X now and wait for the Lumia 920 successor since it'll be T-Mobile compatible one way or another.

And the dev version isn't cheap either. I've checked both on eBay and the price does not justify getting that when I can get an 8X for $199 and just extend my contract. Maybe I could get a Canadian friend to bring me a Rogers version, but they wouldn't be coming here until Christmas. I don't think I can wait that long lol.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

It pretty much has to be the same hardware if it carries the same FCC ID (which it does) else the certification would be invalid and Nokia would have lots of 'splaining to do. Possible that it could have fusible circuits that they can sever to disable functionality...but I really doubt that. Occam's Razor pretty much points to firmware differences assuming it is indeed locked out at all. Given how much AT&T is apparently paying to subsidize the thing versus what Rogers is doing...it wouldn't shock me if Nokia cooked up a special disable-da-evil-AWS-3G special firmware just for them. But like has been mentioned...we need some real-world valid testing to know for sure as right now I think we're just guessing.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
At this point, you better off with Roger version or dev version which they are pretty much the same, as Roger version has carrier branding in the phone, however, price is not cheap at all.
Roger's version has disabled wifi tethering. So yeah, there's that :/

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Roger's version has disabled wifi tethering. So yeah, there's that :/

Oh really? I though I saw someone that have tethering work with Roger?

P/s: It is working if we enter correct APN network. As I posted in other topic, some users from XDA, whici have dev version which practically the same of version, make the wifi tethering work by adding some keyboard language to trigger the phone to download OTA update from Microsoft/Nokia.

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh really? I though I saw someone that have tethering work with Roger?

P/s: It is working if we enter correct APN network. As I posted in other topic, some users from XDA, whici have dev version which practically the same of version, make the wifi tethering work by adding some keyboard language to trigger the phone to download OTA update from Microsoft/Nokia.
Can this be confirmed from an actual Rogers phone, not a dev phone? I was under the impression that Rogers themselves disabled it. Sounds like it could work though...

"For anyone wondering, my dad figured out the tethering. Oddly enough, he installed the Spanish keyboard and Internet sharing turned on. Weirdest thing ever but he claims it worked. You can change it back to English after"

Last edited:

Akothan

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you use T-Mo Sim in ATT 920

Nothing at first... However on reboot you get a message stating that this device only works with certain networks.

With a code input box, a number pad to enter said code and a bit stating that there are 10 attempts left.

:(

projek

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I think the 1900 band (pcs) would be for the HSPA+84 and refarm the AWS (1700/2100)for LTE speeds.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Can this be confirmed from an actual Rogers phone, not a dev phone? I was under the impression that Rogers themselves disabled it. Sounds like it could work though...

Probably ask someone in XDA or in this forum that have Roger version to check this.

Nothing at first... However on reboot you get a message stating that this device only works with certain networks.

With a code input box, a number pad to enter said code and a bit stating that there are 10 attempts left.

:(

That code input is used to unlock the device. Your 920 is not unlocked, so that screen will pop up when using with other carrier sim card.

I think the 1900 band (pcs) would be for the HSPA+84 and refarm the AWS (1700/2100)for LTE speeds.
1700/2100 capable to do 84 Mbps. The 1900 is just for any device from AT&T or other carrier that use 1900 to be compatible with T-Mobile.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Popped it in, phone didn't care for this, gives 10 tries to unlock it total. Looking at net10 & straightTalk now, not sure what I'll do with my tmo plan, been with them since '04 on value plan now, not the vest coverage at work but it's fine at home. Don't want att plan, especially with their behavior of snagging the exclusive and then locking the phones.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think tmo is going to use the aws band for LTE not the PCS band.

Yes AWS band will be keep around for HSDPA+ and LTE. AWS for LTE will be compatible with any LTE AT&T devices. The 1900 at first will be for HSDPA+, but maybe later they will adopt it along with AWS for LTE.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
As someone on XDA mentioned, with the chipset on the 920 the radio frequency is determined by software. From what I understand it physically has the hardware to use the AWS frequency, the only issue is unlocking it somehow (via firmware or other means).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077