01-14-2014 06:55 PM
49 12
tools
    I should have toned down my post. It's just that typing on my iPhone is so very painful, and reviewing what I've written is really tough. Sorry.
    Pontifex, vp710 and marcinaldo like this.
    11-09-2012 03:39 PM
    And btw, I was exaggerating about the last three meals thing. I had just washed my hands. The glossy really does attract grease. To some it's important, to others it isn't. No matter.
    11-09-2012 03:41 PM
    Thanks! I added this one to my wish list. I also found an alternative by Skinomi. Skin protector is a better idea than a bulky case since 920 is "thick and heavy" :p
    11-09-2012 03:41 PM
    Not one for purchase, it was a demo one they had in store at ATT
    I see, would have been fun to look at. The AT&T stores I went to only had black, white, and red on display. The Microsoft Store had all those plus cyan.
    11-09-2012 03:43 PM
    I really want a yellow 920, but I was afraid of what i've been reading about the glossy so I went to check out the black matte vs the red and white glossy.
    The problem is that you let what you read influence and put fear into you. You went to the store afraid of a glossy color, looking for a reason to talk yourself out of the yellow. There was no way you were going to get yellow, your mind was made up already. Now you want to blame everyone involved in the process just so you can feel good about the decision that you didn't even make for yourself. Some blogger made for you, it's very sad. Now you have to live with a phone that you really don't even want. Maybe next upgrade you'll do the right thing and get what you "really" want because you deserve it.
    11-09-2012 03:49 PM
    As a Verizon customer I would love to have a knuckehead designed glossy or a matte 920! I held them in store today and they are beautiful phones. Matte is much nicer IMO but both are superior to what Verizon is getting!

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    11-09-2012 03:53 PM
    Had a glossy white 900 and loved it. Now have glossy red, which I thought I would really dislike and it turns out that I'm really feeling it. Would've liked matte gray but I'm happy with the red.
    still haven't changed your device eh... :P

i think glossy can work with an invisible shield. bought one for the 900 and never used it.
    11-09-2012 03:57 PM
    Glossy is not "Horrible" by any stretch of the imagination. It's a matter of preference and I thought that was the whole point of releasing a few colors in gloss and a few in matte.

They both look and feel nice in different ways. The glossy red looks pretty stunning imo.
    11-09-2012 04:12 PM
    I have to agree about the fingerprints and slickness of the gloss finish. The matte finish IMO is much better for me.
    11-09-2012 04:20 PM
    The glossy definitely does NOT feel cheap. I just held the white for a while and it feels every bit the premium device the black does. However, glossy will have loads of fingerprints on it. I have other devices like this and it is always a pain keeping them looking nice. I am going with the matte black which just looks and feels amazing.
    11-09-2012 04:25 PM
    Love the glossy, and it doesnt collect chocolate like the matte does. Hey i like candy bars ;-)lol. j/k but no really it doesnt
    11-09-2012 04:34 PM
    Not one for purchase, it was a demo one they had in store at ATT
    Also, just curious where you're located? Wonder why only one or two spots have a yellow Lumia 920 on display. Looks like none (even for display) came to the DC area. Thanks.
    11-09-2012 04:38 PM
    I just got back from my local AT&T store. I really want a yellow 920, but I was afraid of what i've been reading about the glossy so I went to check out the black matte vs the red and white glossy.

Whoever the knucklehead at Nokia is who approved the glossy phones should be fired. All 920 colors should be matte.

The second you touch the glossy case you get to see all of the grease from your three previous meals. It's nasty. The glossy case also makes the phone feel like a plastic cased phone, which to me feels cheap, and it's a little slippery to hold. Not much, but it doesn't feel solid like the matte, it feels greasy.

The black matte case is excellent. You can't see or feel any grease at all. It's a lot more pleasant to hold and doesn't feel like plastic. The overall look and feel of the black matte phone is outstanding.

I'm now going to order a matte cyan 920. I'm really glad I waited and didn't jump on the yellow phone before I felt and saw the difference. I would have been unhappy.

I know plenty of people are happy with the glossy cases, and that's great. But if you are like me and this issue is important to you, you've been warned. Check both cases out before you buy if you can.

I just changed my order from glossy white to black for the exact same reasons. Glossy makes it feel cheap to me. Matte is a more premium classy feel.
    Last edited by doublesman3486; 11-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    11-09-2012 04:42 PM
    I see, would have been fun to look at. The AT&T stores I went to only had black, white, and red on display. The Microsoft Store had all those plus cyan.
    I wonder, is the stock in the Microsoft store AT&T branded?
    11-09-2012 05:54 PM
    This is totally wierd but I swear I see fingerprints way more on the matte because the grease and oil really shows like on the surface. The white gloss hids it IMO.
    11-10-2012 07:14 AM
    I went with glossy this time on the 920 while I had matte on my 900...why??

My 900 black matte got shinny, no fingerprints but shinny!! I notice on the glossy while in stores you could wipe a fingerprint off. But, that god awful shinny on my 900 black matte, just wouldn't go away!! =)
    kallemia likes this.
    11-10-2012 07:45 AM
    Well all of our hands are different.
    Have had glossy white N9 since it's release in 2011 and have had no problems Also own cyan Lumia 800.
    I have a Glossy White Lumia 900 and like it...

One thing that I found truly disappointing was the change in finish/material for the matte polycarbonate bodies from the Nokia N9 (I have a cyan made in Finland) vs the Lumia branded bodies.

The matte polycarbonate N9 is a very very smooth matte finish. It's NOTHING like the finish/material on the Lumia 900 or 920 which feels rougher and cheaper to me. The matte 920 feels better than the matte 900 did. But I ended up getting glossy white for my 900.

I really liked the fabula design in the n9... but Nokia cheaped out and made some poor design choices in the later versions. For example even now the 920 has some sort of bezel around the curved screen (glad that's back). The N9 has no bezel and the curve of the screen feels EXACTLY as if it continues the back... the 920 screen feels like it was plopped on top of a bezel.

I prefer the DESIGN of the HTC 8X and the technology/apps/support of the Lumia 920.

Kalle
    11-10-2012 08:45 AM
    If anything the new matte finish feels cheap to me. Especially since I have a Nokia N9 (cyan matte).... Will probably go with glossy white, which can be wiped clean easily.

Kalle

The glossy definitely does NOT feel cheap. I just held the white for a while and it feels every bit the premium device the black does. However, glossy will have loads of fingerprints on it. I have other devices like this and it is always a pain keeping them looking nice. I am going with the matte black which just looks and feels amazing.
    11-10-2012 08:51 AM
    I bought the black, just because I'm old and conservative, but I thought the red and white phones looked really nice. The red was definitely showing smudges. One of the guys working in the store had a yellow 920, and I really did not like that color at all, which is surprising because I'm a big fan of yellow. To me it didn't really look yellow, it was more of a neon yellow/lime kinda color, but maybe it was the lighting. I was expecting it to be a much darker/gold yellow than it actually was.
    11-10-2012 08:59 AM
    i am about to consider taking a very very fine sandpaper and sanding the glossy finish lol why not
    11-11-2012 10:58 PM
    I wonder, is the stock in the Microsoft store AT&T branded?
    Yes it is.
    11-11-2012 11:07 PM

My 900 black matte got shinny, no fingerprints but shinny!! I notice on the glossy while in stores you could wipe a fingerprint off. But, that god awful shinny on my 900 black matte, just wouldn't go away!! =)
    yep the shine on the black matte after a lot of use is not at all what i want. with the matte cyan being just too cyan when i looked at it in person and the lack of grey in the USA i've decided to go glossy red.
    11-12-2012 12:00 AM

My matte white HTC One X got shiny with wear and tear and it makes me mad. The Lumia 900 matte cyan on display started to get shiny from wear. How do we maintain the original matte finish?
    11-12-2012 12:15 AM
    There is definitely a big difference in the hand feel of glossy vs matte, I think matte feels nicer and has more grip but the glossy prints definitely pop with more vibrant color. I have 2 case monkey cases (for a different phone), one of each and it's hard to decide between better feel or better looking with glossy v. matte. It depends on what is on it too... I made my own with my facebook pics and it came out awesome. There's an article here on the different case types: Case-Monkey Cases - What's the Difference? - Case Monkey
    01-14-2014 06:55 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD