MS Store purchase. Anybody bought it from there off contract?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
This is so frustrating. All I want is the phone. Just the phone and they make it nearly impossible to get it.

Your best bet is Ebay or one of those websites people mention around the forums. As soon as I purchased my phone they cut my Titan off and put the new sim card in from AT&T into my Nokia and the 920 was up and running already.

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet is Ebay or one of those websites people mention around the forums. As soon as I purchased my phone they cut my Titan off and put the new sim card in from AT&T into my Nokia and the 920 was up and running already.

Thanks. Some of these guys on EBay are hilarious by asking nearly $1000 for a 920. Since I live in Canada, my best bet is to wait for Rogers to get them and hope that they're unlocked like the first few models were. They're selling the phone off contract for $599. Only downside is that black is the lone option.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
one of the things that is holding me back from buying an off contract phone and holding out for xda to have an unlock code/process is that even if that happens, i will still have an ATT branded phone, and a phone with the ATT firmware / version....
which to me means that it "may" not get updates as readily or regularly as true unlocked phones.
Also - waiting for the eventual Amazon penny to drop...

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Some of these guys on EBay are hilarious by asking nearly $1000 for a 920. Since I live in Canada, my best bet is to wait for Rogers to get them and hope that they're unlocked like the first few models were. They're selling the phone off contract for $599. Only downside is that black is the lone option.
you wouldnt consider negri electronics? they have the rogers...

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
one of the things that is holding me back from buying an off contract phone and holding out for xda to have an unlock code/process is that even if that happens, i will still have an ATT branded phone, and a phone with the ATT firmware / version....
which to me means that it "may" not get updates as readily or regularly as true unlocked phones.
Also - waiting for the eventual Amazon penny to drop...

isn't supposedly on WP8, updates are supposed to be provided Over-the=Air by Microsoft?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
isn't supposedly on WP8, updates are supposed to be provided Over-the=Air by Microsoft?
thats what i have heard, but i guess i want to see it happen....even if its just 1st party apps that are updated.
that will give me SOME confidence.
In the meantime, i am still scouring the web for an unlocked Lumia 920

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
MS provides a much better insurance for the phones. No deductibles or fees. If you break it, they will replace it no questions asked.

YES! THIS!

fyi, the insurance program is called Assure. It's $99 for 2 years, with a $50 deductible when you need to replace it, for up to two times.

BTW, a similar program for Surface RT tablets is called Complete; it gives you tech support in addition to the insurance.

xcharles718

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this sounds a bit crazy...but I think my Microsoft Store-bought L920 might be unlocked out of the box.

Why you may ask?
1.I contacted AT&T for a unlock code and they said no unlock code is available, nor is an availability date shown of their system.
2.I tried the ##782#[call] to get the unlock screen up. It doesn't work.

I'll try to get a T-Mobile micro-SIM and give it a try.
And hopefully not look like an idiot if it works :D

shankle_007

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you manage to try with a t-mobile sim? I'm thinking of getting one from MS but only if it isn't locked. The sales assistant was like "wink wink it's not locked to att but i cant tell you that wink wink" Wasnt sure to believe him or not....??

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe its unlocked too. I bought at ms store, but had to exchange due to defect. I went through Nokia resolution to swap and they said the had no reds so I had to wait. They sent me a loaner white in mean time. One month later, they called me and said the red wont be available until January because unlocked reds will come in then. And since my defective red was unlocked, they wanted to send me an unlocked one. I was like what? I said in fine with a locked one and now they will ship me one now.

so I believe they are unlocked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss