sad there's only 26 gig out of the box

Dreamagain

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how i can free up any of this space? or is it all the operating system? i got like 28 gig worth of music i'd like to put on

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can reclaim any of that. Ive bought music from my windowsphone before so I noticed its all there for streaming on my 920. I usually load song I like instead of full albums which takes up a lot of space of songs you never listen to.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Due to the way 32GB is actually calculated. you actually only have 28.5 gb of *potentially* usable space. The rest of it is used up by the OS, settings, etc. A great rule of thumb is to look at what the advertised storage space is and then reduce that by 10-15%. That should give you a decent estimate on actual usable space. This is true for all devices, really.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how i can free up any of this space? or is it all the operating system? i got like 28 gig worth of music i'd like to put on

You have to learn to either stream your music, or only pick your favorites to transfer on the phone, or both. I have more than 1TB of music, so there's no way for me to put it all on a phone (I wish, and I'm sure it will be possible in a decade or so).

Remember you'll also need some space for apps and data.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can reclaim any of that. Ive bought music from my windowsphone before so I noticed its all there for streaming on my 920. I usually load song I like instead of full albums which takes up a lot of space of songs you never listen to.

What he said. You're out of the norm. Most people (+95%) don't have 28GB of music. i can tell you enjoy your tunes. :D

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I just thought of this too: if you listen to your music in a less than ideal setting (ie if you don't carry around a pair of K701, or have audiophile-grade speakers in your car), you could play around with the conversion settings (not sure if the WP8 app as these, but Zune used to), and see what the lowest bitrate you can use without sounding noticeably distorted.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Why is this ONLY an issue brought up for Microsoft products. I've never seen people so rabidly complain about useable space on devices before. Do people think iOS and Android fit on a 5.25" floppy? Do people think Office 2013 is similar to a 1kb app? It seems like people have no clue what they are complaining about...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05