Verizon: Nokia Lumia 822 vs HTC 8X

himurastewie

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well said...I keep thinking I am crazy for getting the 822 over the DNA! It's not all about specs though as you said.

You're not. I had a Galaxy Note 2 on pre-order through VZW for two weeks before cancelling it and ordering a Lumia 822. I'm sure the DNA will be a lovely device, and from everything I've read and watched, the GNote2 is a lovely device also. But a little bit of soul searching and smoke-from-my-ears thinking I came to the conclusion that all those features and extra specs and this and that just don't add up for me and the way I use my phone. Yeah, it would be way cool to draw pictures and hand write notes with an S-Pen, but I'm an awful artist and my handwriting is atrocious. The best part of the S-Pen in my usage would be for using it as a hover for nested menus on web pages. That isn't worth $350 to me. Then add that awful brand on the home button, the delayed release, and a few other factors (the social awkwardness of a phablet is not one of them) I ultimately had to drop my pre-order. And yes, I was greatly tempted to dump VZW to the curb and grab a Note2 elsewhere, that's how much I wanted one.

I already went over my reasoning for choosing the 822 over the 8X and I suspect I'm not going to prove myself wrong, but in the case that I am, that's what the return period is for. Though, if I ultimately decide against the 822, I may just indulge and pick up that Note2 anyway. I'm currently using an HTC Incredible and I can say that I'm thoroughly tired of it. Maybe I'm having a little bit of anti-incumbent bias but at least in my own fantasy-land, my logic is solid. :)

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When this devices were initially announced I concentrated my battle between the 8X and ATIV-S. SD card the ATIV was the clear winner without confirming it was going to essentially be a clone of the S-III or watered down. SD card trumps all.

Then, like a hero's silhouette cascaded amongst the clouds of billowing smoke the 822 is described in depth. Bam as late night infomercials say, this is my next phone. I am a Win Mo convert and current HTC Trophy user. While this is my fourth HTC and I can't say I have had any issues (barring one Imagio) I could lean that direction. What sealed the deal though is I never sad down looked at my phone and said, "damn, I wish this was just more crisp." Larger yes, better res...it never crossed my mind.

I can mull it over back and forth but the reality is from a cost standpoint versus feature coupled with what I am used to and didn't complain about...822 for me. In black, I'm boring.

Three weeks the countdown starts tomorrow

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen the 822, but I got to see and handle the 820 on Monday. Believe me, the screen did not look low res at ALL, and I'm coming from an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the screen if they were to go with the 822. :cool:

I agree that the screen on the 820 looked a heck of a lot better than I was expecting. While I initially went with the 822 for the Nokia apps and figured that I'd just deal with the lower resolution screen, I can't see myself noticing too much that it isn't an HD display.

kart38

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Samsung Droid Charge and it uses an extremely similar screen to the 822, Super AMOLED+ at the same resolution, and can confirm that the screen should be a non issue with the 822. Is it as pixel dense as the new stuff? No. It is a great looking screen and one that will require less from the CPU/GPU and that will lead to better battery life. I know that isn't necessarily the end all for some people but for others it is quite important.

Jason

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I ended up choosing the Nokia over the HTC because despite the higher resolution on the 8X, I preferred the color saturation of the Nokia. When side by side with the 822, the colors of the 8X and even my poor 'ol Trophy just look terribly washed out.

There's a lot that goes into a good picture, and let's face it, resolution isn't everything. LCD has always handled color terribly. Especially greens. I can't wait until we start seeng OLED TVs and stuff.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I ended up choosing the Nokia over the HTC because despite the higher resolution on the 8X, I preferred the color saturation of the Nokia. When side by side with the 822, the colors of the 8X and even my poor 'ol Trophy just look terribly washed out.

There's a lot that goes into a good picture, and let's face it, resolution isn't everything. LCD has always handled color terribly. Especially greens. I can't wait until we start seeng OLED TVs and stuff.

OLED TVs are stunning, and have been on the market for some time here. Saw a demo unit and at first I thought it was a glasses-free 3D set, but it was just a 2D OLED set. Amazing picture!

mcdonsco

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a link for that hack! When I had my droid maxx I had free hotspot thanks to a hack for that; this was my main concern in getting a WP device is not being able to have free hotspot...

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am worried about the low res screen. Has anyone seen one in person to comment?
Just to test the theory that 800x480 isn't much different than 1280x720, I did a test.
Last night, I grabbed a friend's Nokia Lumia 900 (800x480) and sat it right next to my HTC 8X (1280x720).
I couldn't tell a difference on the lock screen (with it's small notification icons and text) or the start screen (with it's small tile text).
I was actually surprised.
I figured that I would be able to tell on edges and small text, but I couldn't.
I didn't dive further into things (pictures, video, web pages, etc...), but it was fairly conclusive, to me.
From what I found with older, Windows Mobile phones, higher screen resolution needs to increase with equal higher processing power.
My HTC Touch (240x320 and 400mhz) performed much smoother than a friend's HTC Touch Pro (480x640 and 528mhz).
That's 1.32x the CPU and 4x the resolution (not scaling equally).
So, the exact same processor with 2.4x the resolution should perform worse.
I have the HTC 8x, but I will have to tip my hat to the Nokia Lumia 822 for theoretical performance.
JJ

Edit...
I forgot to mention the reasons why I chose the 8X.
Most importantly, I hate these wide phones.
To be honest, I wish the 8X was 4" instead of 4.3".
This is the narrowest Windows Phone 8 phone (I want to smack someone every time I have to say that).
It fits really well into my hand, though.
If the sides weren't as tapered as they are, I might have been swayed to the 822.
Secondarily, it was the resolution.
I really thought that I'd be able to tell the difference.
It turns out, though, that I can't.
JJ

Last edited:

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As a follow-up post...
I went back to the Verizon store, today, to play with the 822.
I absolutely hate the form-factor of it.
It feels wide, squatty, and thick.
The term that I would use to describe the 8X is "svelte".
The term that I would use to describe the 822 is "pudgy".

It's odd that I am having such a hard time wanting the 822, though.
I'm, normally, heavy on the "form follows function" side.
I just can't seem to get over the way the 822 looks and feels, though.
I want the ability to wear my gloves and operate the phone (I've had multiple cold mornings, this past week).
I want the microSD slot (I ran out of space the first night and had to remove mp3s, two times after that, to install programs).
I want the AMOLED display.
But, crap, I don't want to give up how my 8X looks and feels.

Oh, and I want the free phone and the $100 gift card, from Walmart, and the free earbuds, from Nokia!!!
I paid $200 for my 8X and got jack-diddly!!!
JJ

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As a follow-up post...
I went back to the Verizon store, today, to play with the 822.
I absolutely hate the form-factor of it.
It feels wide, squatty, and thick.
The term that I would use to describe the 8X is "svelte".
The term that I would use to describe the 822 is "pudgy".

It's odd that I am having such a hard time wanting the 822, though.
I'm, normally, heavy on the "form follows function" side.
I just can't seem to get over the way the 822 looks and feels, though.
I want the ability to wear my gloves and operate the phone (I've had multiple cold mornings, this past week).
I want the microSD slot (I ran out of space the first night and had to remove mp3s, two times after that, to install programs).
I want the AMOLED display.
But, crap, I don't want to give up how my 8X looks and feels.

Oh, and I want the free phone and the $100 gift card, from Walmart, and the free earbuds, from Nokia!!!
I paid $200 for my 8X and got jack-diddly!!!
JJ

Hold out for Samsung's offering... AMOLED screen, thinnest WP to date, 32gb plus expandable storage, it's a bigger screen, but still manageable. I've held the 8x and the gs3 (same chassis as Ativ S) and it's a wash between the two as far as one-handed use, etc.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hold out for Samsung's offering... AMOLED screen, thinnest WP to date, 32gb plus expandable storage, it's a bigger screen, but still manageable. I've held the 8x and the gs3 (same chassis as Ativ S) and it's a wash between the two as far as one-handed use, etc.
Hmmm...
I've never liked the "brushed aluminum and chrome" plastic.
Hehehe...
If it's anywhere near the size of the Galaxy SIII, that's way too big for my personal taste.
I like smaller phones.
JJ

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
anyone else going with the 822 over the 8x?

I'm pulled toward the 822 myself over the 8X. I've always had Nokia flip phones, so I feel a bit of nostalgia for the new ones (I want them to succeed). I agree with many posters that the 8X feels great in hand, but when you look really close it doesn't look like it is of much quality (in my opinion). Edges look unclean, the matte finish looks like it can be scratched easily and show the darker black plastic which lies underneath, and the buttons are much too flush with the surface to be useful.

I've always admired HTC for their design but not their follow through.

I'm probably going with the 822 myself.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen the 822, but I got to see and handle the 820 on Monday. Believe me, the screen did not look low res at ALL, and I'm coming from an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the screen if they were to go with the 822. :cool:

I'm switching from an iPhone 4 as well. How do you like WP8 over iPhone 4? Miss anything? Regret your decision or not looking back?

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching from an iPhone 4 as well. How do you like WP8 over iPhone 4? Miss anything? Regret your decision or not looking back?

I bought a couple 822's. me coming from wp7.5 and my daughter coming from iphone4. she missed instagram, the facebook app had more functionality, and the fact that she couldn't assign ringtones for text messages to different contacts. but overall she likes it. I don't count because i'm already a ******.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I just got offered an upgrade from my HTC Trophy to a new device at Verizon and I can't decide between the Nokia Lumia 822 vs. the HTC 8X
I know all the specs and arguable differences, but the Nokia Lumia 822 is free vs. $99 for the 8X. However, the feel of the 8X is just winning me over, its thin, light, and colorful feel is stealing my heart. I'm familiar with HTC, and their design just seems more natural. However owners, challenge me, by the end of the week I will have or the other (or is their a reason to hold off my upgrade for different phones?) Persuade me to one over the other based on your experiences.

My primary uses include a "medium-amount" of emailing, web-browsing, and listening to music. It's my go-to device being a college student. And I don't want a bulky device, it should be something to nicely go in my pocket. Thoughts?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I used the 822 for a few months, but the 8X won me over by the design. It's just awesome and feels great in the hand. If you can live without the microsd, it's a great device.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got offered an upgrade from my HTC Trophy to a new device at Verizon and I can't decide between the Nokia Lumia 822 vs. the HTC 8X
I know all the specs and arguable differences, but the Nokia Lumia 822 is free vs. $99 for the 8X. However, the feel of the 8X is just winning me over, its thin, light, and colorful feel is stealing my heart. I'm familiar with HTC, and their design just seems more natural. However owners, challenge me, by the end of the week I will have or the other (or is their a reason to hold off my upgrade for different phones?) Persuade me to one over the other based on your experiences.
My primary uses include a "medium-amount" of emailing, web-browsing, and listening to music. It's my go-to device being a college student. And I don't want a bulky device, it should be something to nicely go in my pocket. Thoughts?
Having lived with the 8x since day one, I would whole-heartedly recommend the 822.
Hehehe...
The ONLY reason that I would recommend the 8x is purely superficial.
It is the best feeling/looking phone on the market, in my opinion, but the 822 should be a better phone for pretty much EVERY other reason.
JJ

SpanglyEnvelope

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Between the two I chose the 8x. The 822 felt very uncomfortable to the touch and too bulky for my pockets.. My only regrets with HTC is the terrible app support (I love NOKIA for that) and the occasional bugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb