pocket Lint review - surprise -- They are very happy with this compared to 920

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Did I just really read that the 820 is better than the 920? This guy is a fool

No, he's realistic. I bought the 920 for my wife and I, but gave the 820 a lot of thought. To be honest, I can't see most people needing anything more than the 820.

Like the Droid RAZR M and the GSIII Mini, the 820 delivers a wonderful feature set without pointless bells and whistles. For someone concerned more with having a smartphone for getting things done or as a media player, I agree that the 820 is better.

In the end, the 920 won me over because I felt the better camera specs would suit my wife and I, since we invariably use our phones to capture the best moments of our 18 month old child. If not for that, I'd have no real reason to choose the 920 over the 820. People get too wrapped up in spec wars to focus on what's really important - getting the job done.

Last edited:

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
No, he's realistic. I bought the 920 for my wife and I, but gave the 820 a lot if thought. To be honest, I can't see most people needing anything more than the 820.

To be honest, I can't see most people needing anything more than food and water.

It's rarely ever about need. It's about want.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Their reviews basically attack the 920. Its different saying "you may not need this feature" & "this phone is Not the one you want, but its lower counterpart is"

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
From a features standpoint, the Lumia 920 is a better phone. Higher res display, Pureview Camera, OIS, and a better finish.

I don't think it's right to savage the 920. It's a great phone, but it may not be the best phone for everybody.

When they first announced the 820 and 920, I liked the feature set on the 820 better personally. Didn't have all the bells and whistles, but it had a lot of them. I do take photos on my phone, but I'm not an avid photographer. So while I think the Pureview and the OIS are really awesome things that help to make the 920 the best overall phone on the market today, it is not the best overall phone for me.

I also am on Verizon, but even if the 920 were available now on Big Red, I wouldn't get it. The 822 fixes the two things I didn't like about the 820: It has Gorilla Glass 2 and it has 16GB storage instead of 8GB.

So with the 822 I still get a pretty good camera that probably can hang with the 8X and is just as good as what's on the Lumia 900, I get microSD expansion up to 64GB for now (SDXC can go higher on spec, so the phone should be able to take cards that are bigger when they are available), and I get the Nokia exclusive apps. For me it's a win-win-win.

And I love my Xbox (formerly Zune) Music Pass. 32GB would be a lot of space, but if I want to download the whole US map, that'll eat up 2GB. I would still have space for music on a trip (and I don't want to go crazy streaming or pulling stuff down off the 4G connection since I'm on a metered plan), but with 64GB I would have space for music and a few movies - and be able to swap things out when I was on a wifi connection or just fill up one SD card with movies and another with music and hot swap them.

I can understand why someone would like the 810/820/822 better. I think the Lumia 920 is a more advanced phone, but it's not a better phone for me. But if photos are your thing, there is no equal to the 920 and what it is capable of. Same for video.

Truth is that we're getting a round of GREAT phones with WP8 to start. The quality is there and there's not a loser in the bunch when it comes to the launch devices.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You should have seen The V---- review. I won't even give them the respect of spelling out their name. They don't deserve the free advertising. They reviewed the 920, with a picture of the ugly brown theme. Which was just the initial indicator of their bias.

warrentaye

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I bought a 920 for myself and an 820 for my wife, and every time i hold it I go damn the phone is really nice, the size and feet etc, the 820 screen of course is much more vibrant and my wife likes having expandable memory and removable plates for accessorizing lol. I could see why they rated it better.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The 820 looks like a VERY solid phone to me. No reason why someone not wrapped up in blogs like it more.

Because most of the people who frequent tech blogs tend to want higher spec devices. I personally think it's a great device and that it has a lot going for it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the choice ultimately came down to which phone do I think will help my wife and I capture all the moments with our son when we don't have our mini-DSLR with us. If not for that, we'd both have 820s right now.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So I just got me a 920. It gets noticeably warm after light use. Especially during a phone call. Does the 820 get similarly warm in anyone's experience?

I'm also missing the deep blacks from an amoled screen. That's probably the biggest shock coming from a 900. I think I owe it to myself to at least try out the 820.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss