Dust under screen

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 920 today and I was extremely thrilled with using it. Just came from a GS3. I never used a case on my GS3 due to the fact it was a pretty well built phone. I had one problem that always plagued me when using an lcd display on a phone and that's the dust getting under the digitizer. I've had this phone for a total of 8 hours and there are already 4 particles of dust in the center of the screen on the phone. If they aren't properly sealed I might just have to bring it back and stick with my gs3 :(

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 920 today and I was extremely thrilled with using it. Just came from a GS3. I never used a case on my GS3 due to the fact it was a pretty well built phone. I had one problem that always plagued me when using an lcd display on a phone and that's the dust getting under the digitizer. I've had this phone for a total of 8 hours and there are already 4 particles of dust in the center of the screen on the phone. If they aren't properly sealed I might just have to bring it back and stick with my gs3 :(

It's close to impossible that the dust got in there after you got it. The TFT on your Lumia 920 is merged with the glass outside. If there's dust trapped in it, it must have gotten in during the bonding process -> get it exchanged!

Apart from that: I've been using mine for a week and I'll be returning mine, too - but mainly because I think WP 8 has a long, long way to go to catch up with Android in terms of functionality. I'll probably get a Galaxy Note II instead. Same weight, much larger screen and the whole Android eco-system that comes with it is just more mature.

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's close to impossible that the dust got in there after you got it. The TFT on your Lumia 920 is merged with the glass outside. If there's dust trapped in it, it must have gotten in during the bonding process -> get it exchanged!

Apart from that: I've been using mine for a week and I'll be returning mine, too - but mainly because I think WP 8 has a long, long way to go to catch up with Android in terms of functionality. I'll probably get a Galaxy Note II instead. Same weight, much larger screen and the whole Android eco-system that comes with it is just more mature.
I'm not sure and I haven't been able to find out if it was fused with the outside. I didn't notice any dust inside it the whole time I was using the phone. I noticed it when I was browsing the internet on it before I went to bed. I've always had this problem with a phone that uses an LCD panel and not amoled. IF you have a link to show the digitizer is fused with the panel could you please link it?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure and I haven't been able to find out if it was fused with the outside. I didn't notice any dust inside it the whole time I was using the phone. I noticed it when I was browsing the internet on it before I went to bed. I've always had this problem with a phone that uses an LCD panel and not amoled. IF you have a link to show the digitizer is fused with the panel could you please link it?

All three of my POS Dell Venue Not-so-Pro's got dust under the screen. I thought I wouldn't notice when it was backlit and be fine. IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS. Get it exchanged. I realized watching movies, that I'd be staring at dust specks instead of watching the movie....hhahahha

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
All three of my POS Dell Venue Not-so-Pro's got dust under the screen. I thought I wouldn't notice when it was backlit and be fine. IT WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS. Get it exchanged. I realized watching movies, that I'd be staring at dust specks instead of watching the movie....hhahahha
Well the venue pro had an amoled set up so it was fused. I've seen some tear downs of this phone and when they took it apart the screen and digitizer seemed to be one piece. So very possible I got one with a spec under it from the assembly line. Also It has that nasty rattle that I've seen some people complaining about. Freaking love this phone sl hopefully the exchange will fix my issues.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

What does the Android eco-system consist of?

jcwpcentral

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dusts in the front facing camera

I just got my 920 from the ATT store. The next day I found dusts (likely pocket lint) in the camera housing. One day later, there are more dusts found. Probably because it is too close to the earphone. I am afraid after two year contract expires, it will be full of dust. I hope this is a manufacturing defect, not a design defect. Hopefully the replacement does not have this problem.

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 920 from the ATT store. The next day I found dusts (likely pocket lint) in the camera housing. One day later, there are more dusts found. Probably because it is too close to the earphone. I am afraid after two year contract expires, it will be full of dust. I hope this is a manufacturing defect, not a design defect. Hopefully the replacement does not have this problem.

I don't think it's a design defect. The phone to me I was worried about the screen. I looked around and teardowns of the phone and it showed the screen as one piece. I really notice the dust only on white screens. Might just hold out and see how much it bugs me. Afraid to get another one and have way more problems then I do now. Other than that fear of LCD screens being plagued with bad sealing process, I love this phone so much.

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Just found more dust under the screen of my phone. Going to att tomorrow to try to swap it for another. Hopefully I just got a bad unit. Not getting my hopes up. This normally happens with an LCD screen.

Update: I just got back from switching out my second matt black 920 for the high gloss red. So far no dust and also no strange rattle. Could it possibly be that the math black ones have a quality control issue?

Last edited:

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So I returned my red 920 after about 4 days because it was turning off and wouldn't turn back on. I payed the restocking fee to swap out for a black one. Now I've had the black one for about a week and I'm noticing some dust in the front facing camera under the glass. Really kind of annoyed that I'm going to have to go in there again and exchange another one. I hope this isn't going to be an issue with every one I get.. I've had this phone a week.. I can just imagine how much crap will build up in there after 6 months.

Jaymil

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Just an additional note.. I did NOT have this dust in there when I bought the phone. I definitely would have noticed as it's very obvious.

Ironsyde5

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My first Lumia 920 accumulated more and more dust in the front camera, and after about 30 days, the front sensor stopped working. This meant that the screen always turned black as soon as I would make a phone call preventing me from using the other phone features or even hanging up! Swapped it out for another 920 as was my only option, and guess what, after 5 days there is already dust accumulating in the front camera housing, AGAIN... The worst part, I'm past my 14 days to swap it for a different phone, and ATT is giving me **** just trying to get another replacement... TERRIBLE! Plus the WP8 ecosystem sucks, but I knew that going into this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb