920 locked up, not responding at all.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts here? The thing had been working just fine. I had literally sent a text to my wife about 10 minutes before hand, had played some games, etc. with no issues at all. I sat down to eat and when done went to check and see if I had received a reply, and the phone will not work at all.

I have tried plugging it in to see if that generated a response, nothing. I have pushed every button on the phone, nothing.

I was afraid of this when I found out the phone did not allow for batter removal (aka the soft reset) but everyone assured me it would be fine.

So here I am. Help!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hold down the power and 'volume down' button at the same time until the phone vibrates a few times. Then just wait until you see the Nokia logo :)

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hold down the power and 'volume down' button at the same time until the phone vibrates a few times. Then just wait until you see the Nokia logo :)

Thanks.

Before I could even do that, it turned on again but started cycling back and forth between the ATT logo and the Nokia logo. It did that for about 5 times and finally rebooted the Windows Phone logo. Once it was on all the way, I decided to reboot everything again.

Who knows? I had made a ton of changes to it since I got it yesterday afternoon.

Hopefully this is not a reoccurring theme. I put way too much time getting the phone set up how I want it to have to get a replacement.

Thanks again. If I have further problems, I'll try your remedy or come back here and cry about it again. Perhaps both.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
These lockup problems may simply be the result of the new phone merged with a new OS. Even the mighty iPhone had problems (and many complaints) when it was first released. But it didn't exactly fill me with confidence when I was testing the phone at the AT&T store...and it locked up and needed to be reset.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
These lockup problems may simply be the result of the new phone merged with a new OS. Even the mighty iPhone had problems (and many complaints) when it was first released. But it didn't exactly fill me with confidence when I was testing the phone at the AT&T store...and it locked up and needed to be reset.

Hopefully that is all it is. I would assume an update will be coming along in relatively short order now that the OS has been released full scale. If it follows the pattern of their desktop OS releases, some new bugs are figured out in the first few months post release and they send out updates to square them away.

Cheers,

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me and this brought it back. AT&T support did not know about this.

AT&T doesn't appear to know anything about the phone or their service. Just about the worst customer service I've ever seen.

I take that back.

I haven't seen any "customer service" from AT&T yet...

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just had this happen to me as well!!! Dont like this at all. Has there been a fix to resolve the lockup issue by chance? Thats to everyone who posted on this, it worked for me. Any news on a fix?

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just had this happen to me as well!!! Dont like this at all. Has there been a fix to resolve the lockup issue by chance? Thats to everyone who posted on this, it worked for me. Any news on a fix?

This was an issue for my 920 as well, and I decided to email the CEO, Support, and resolutions about this issue. They are sending me a new 920 as of now as a result. I also asked the lady (Macy) who I was talking to about whether this is a known issue or if there will be a fix on this and she said she couldn't tell me.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me this past weekend in SF. Did a soft reboot and that appeared to fix the issue. Hopefully a fix rolls out from Nok/MSFT to help address these issues we're all seeing.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully, it only happened one more time and not nearly to the same extent that same day. Nothing since then, so hopefully it stays that way.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just in case this helps, the biggest source of lockups for me was words with friends. As soon as I uninstalled it, I haven't had a lockup since.

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I should take a page from your book. It happened YET again to me while I was sleeping :-( my alarm was set to wake me up this morning and surprise, surprsie. It was locked UP!!!! had to reboot again. I realize technology is far from perfect in this world but this is somewhat a downer in that it's a new phone and I have such high hopes for this phone and my overall experience. I really, really love this phone and dont want to go back to using my iphone or move over to android. I wish they'd own this as an issue and prioritize a fix for it to be honest.

GG916

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Just in case this helps, the biggest source of lockups for me was words with friends. As soon as I uninstalled it, I haven't had a lockup since.

All of mine lately have been from Words With Friends as well., It will work perfectly fine, and then randomly lock up. I hope a fix is coming

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the exact same experience with setting an alarm only for it to lock on my overnight and I was late for work! I've been working with Nokia Support to try to narrow down the cause. So far, I've been able to recreate the 'locked phone' phenomenon with a freshly factory-hardreset phone with ONLY Google+Microsoft accounts setup and Whatsapp installed. So yesterday I deleted Whatsapp. So far it's only been 14hours but NO lockups so far, so we shall see. If there are no lockups by 48hrs I would be willing to guess Whatsapp is to blame. Prior to this, I was experiencing at least one lockup/day. I notice that Whatsapp was taken down from the Windowsphone Marketplace yesterday and is no longer available. Coincidence?

I should take a page from your book. It happened YET again to me while I was sleeping :-( my alarm was set to wake me up this morning and surprise, surprsie. It was locked UP!!!! had to reboot again. I realize technology is far from perfect in this world but this is somewhat a downer in that it's a new phone and I have such high hopes for this phone and my overall experience. I really, really love this phone and dont want to go back to using my iphone or move over to android. I wish they'd own this as an issue and prioritize a fix for it to be honest.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same experience with setting an alarm only for it to lock on my overnight and I was late for work! I've been working with Nokia Support to try to narrow down the cause. So far, I've been able to recreate the 'locked phone' phenomenon with a freshly factory-hardreset phone with ONLY Google+Microsoft accounts setup and Whatsapp installed. So yesterday I deleted Whatsapp. So far it's only been 14hours but NO lockups so far, so we shall see. If there are no lockups by 48hrs I would be willing to guess Whatsapp is to blame. Prior to this, I was experiencing at least one lockup/day. I notice that Whatsapp was taken down from the Windowsphone Marketplace yesterday and is no longer available. Coincidence?
Were you using the wireless charging? Had that happen to me once. Overnight I use the USB and its never had an issue since.

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Were you using the wireless charging? Had that happen to me once. Overnight I use the USB and its never had an issue since.

I had charged it using the USB cable plugged into the wall but had disconnected it from the cable before turning in. When I woke up this AM, it did not appear to be off due to battery issue but had locked up. When I rebooted it came back up with power to the battery. That is what scares me about this device is that it may lock up when I really am needing something or for it to perform certain tasks. Not ready to thrown in the towel on it however because I really do like this phone by comparison to my iPhone 4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb