Charging from my car and noticed somthing...

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So I don't know if I need a new USB cable or what but I noticed that when I plugged my Lumia 920 in my car charger it showed up like it was charging but when I used the Nokia Drive app it was actually depleting the battery. Suddenly the phone shut off and was out of battery. All I got on the screen was the low battery indication.
After about 10 minutes it started back up because it had enough charge.

I went to the battery saver option and it said it was at 6% battery, I turned the screen off for 5 minutes and checked again... it then said 7% battery. I loaded Nokia drive up and about 5 minutes of use I checked the battery saver option again and it fell down to 5%.

It's seems to me that when the phone is being used (screen on) it draws to much power to charge the device, but when it the screen is off it actually charges it.

Anyone else notice this or care to try this themselves?

-Chris

xwingband

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive uses GPS and data... it's possible the phone is drawing more than the charging current while it's doing that with the screen on but not with the screen off.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed when I first got my Lumia 900, was different quality USB cables would allow different charging rates. There is a diagnostics app for the 900 that allows you to watch the charge/draw in milliamps. Pretty neat tool. Hopefully, someone figures out how to access that same tool in the 920...

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It probably has to do with the charger. When I use to use my iPhone nav/gps/music while charging, it would barely charge if I used my headunit USB port. If I used a new cigarette lighter charger it would charge better. So it'll depend on the amps provided by the charger to make sure your phone charges while using load intensive apps.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed when I first got my Lumia 900, was different quality USB cables would allow different charging rates.

The white Nokia one that came with my 900 charges much better in the car than the other after market one. I always thought it was the connection but I guess not.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
You will need to get a 2.1amp charger. They are available through att and various retailers. One example

I realize this was just an example, but that charger will not work well at all. If you look at the first review it only charges phones at .5 amp and not 2.1.

To the OP, you need a better car charger to start with, but yes, you can use more power on your phone than your charger is supplying. My Samsung S3 is the same way when using Waze GPS app and streaming music even with a good charger.

Matt Walton

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I realize this was just an example, but that charger will not work well at all. If you look at the first review it only charges phones at .5 amp and not 2.1.

To the OP, you need a better car charger to start with, but yes, you can use more power on your phone than your charger is supplying. My Samsung S3 is the same way when using Waze GPS app and streaming music even with a good charger.

I read the Amazon review you spoke of and I am curious: It mentioned that the iPad could pull down 2.1A because it was designed to do so, from what i have read the 920 is also designed for 2.1A vs the 1.7A the reviews phone needed. Is it possible that because the 920 is designed to pull 2.1A the charger would essentially see it as an iPad?

ItsVictorB

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
There is debate in your example (based on the reviews) whether or not this is a true 2.1 charger.

I have this charger and I can vouch for this being a 2.1A charger. What is happening is that the charger includes a small usb "converter" that is about 1" long. You have to plug that in to the charger and then your usb cable into the converter. When you use the converter it makes it 2.1A.

Here is a pic of it (taken with my new 920): Charger with converter

ItsVictorB

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man, I just ordered. Got to love Amazon Prime.

No problem. Just be sure to use the smart converter. When I first got it I didn't use it and it was only charging at .5A. I was streaming Pandora with my Android phone and it would just stay at the same level. Finally I remembered that it came with that little converter and sure enough it charges the phone with no problem now with multiple things going on. I guess I need to read the instructions next time I buy something :cool:

mdecker79

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I have been having no luck at all finding a charger.

I even went to ATT and purchased there $30 2 amp charger.... Guess what? It doesn't charge my Lumia 920 while using GPS...

I just ordered the Satechi ST-2412 hoping ill be back to use GPS (Navigon which kicks ***) while streaming BT audio and having the screen on..

Amazon prime for Saturday delivery! and I'm crossing my fingers because I will return the junk ATT $30 charger that doesn't work....

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to wake this old thread guys but I have a question. According to what I read I am also having problems using my Lumia 920 as a true offline GPS because with the screen always on (the way I like it) it burns my battery in 3 hours and I obviously can't deal with that during the trips that I often take. Do any of the chargers listed in this thread actually work? In other words can I have the gps always on like a garmin and as long as it is charging it will stay at 100%? Anyone have any tests or feedback done? Which charger do I actually need to avoid any hassle of having my battery die on me like it currently is?

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To get best results first you will need a charge only cable (there is a thread somewhere here on how to actually make one from a standard data/charge one).

I use my Lumia 920 as my main navigational device (it replaced a horrible TomTom 1005 Europe) so it is running Drive+ and I also have Bluetooth on, connected to a Nokia HF-300.

I am currently using it with a cable taken from this: Fast car charger with cables and clips - Accessories - TomTom and a Nokia DC-20 (1A output per port) and it manages to keep up with the drain and also (very) slowly charge the phone which is less taxing for the battery.

Mind you, this all happened after I upgraded to Portico as until then the DC-20 couldn't keep up with the drain, go figure.

When I use the fast charger (2.1A) it charges very quickly but also makes the battery very hot (the fast charger is though a treat with the iPad).

Hope the above helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077