Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list... I have a few little nicks in the screen. Not visible at all typically but very visible in the right light, and I can feel them with my fingernail.

This is the first phone I didn't immediately protect with a screen protector and now I am sorry I didn't.

I saw someone else posting about a plastic card riding over the screen and rubbing grit into it -- I think that might be how I got my scratches. My phone was in a shirt pocket with a hotel room key for a brief period.

I completely baby my phone otherwise... not happy about this at all.

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
2 weeks. 2 drops. 2 total hours in the hands of my 2 and a half year old daughter. Not a single scratch.
Just lucky I guess.

droosie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ummm.. why was my post deleted? Like i said my Cyan N9 has been fine for more than a year. I've had my yellow 920 for less than a week and there's a scratch across the top of the screen - easily visible. Can i still return it within 14 days?

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Ummm.. why was my post deleted? Like i said my Cyan N9 has been fine for more than a year. I've had my yellow 920 for less than a week and there's a scratch across the top of the screen - easily visible. Can i still return it within 14 days?
I sent mine back to AT&T and said it was scratched when I received it. I'll let you know how that goes. Yeah it's unethical but I don't feel bad at all because the fact is Nokia/Corning released a shoddy product. They should be recalling these, but they'll probably just fix the next batch.

Kimberly Dougherty

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I purchased 2 Nokia 920 Cyan phones (one for me and the other for my niece). Last night I noticed a small thin barely noticeable scratch on the screen . I have to turn the device off and then it is visible, but if I run my finger nail over it I can distinctly feel the scratch. I checked the other phone and it has small scratches as well. I have not dropped the phone, but I have had it in my purse where my keys are. Note, I've had many other smartphones and I have always kept them in this same pocket the same way...with no scratches what so ever. Can anyone confirm if this is how all the devices are or if this is maybe just a design defect of a few. I do NOT want to get a screen protector. I dislike them as well as cases.

FYI -- I've had this this phone for a little over a week. I can't image what the screen will look like in a few months...

:( very sad...

DropPass

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I cannot comment on scratches as both of our 920s have had screen protectors on them since the second we bought them.

Someone mentioned that maybe different model numbers have either defective or altogether different glass screens. The reason I found this interesting is that the back lighting (on the hardware keys) of my phone is different than on my wife's phone. Her lights are brighter and have a yellowish tint to them where mine are bright white when lit.

Just something I thought I would point out as we could indeed have phones consisting of differing materials.

seita

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a matte black 920 purchased day 1 from ATT, my girlfriend got a glossy red 920. I keep mine in my jean pockets all day, had it fall off my desk and hit a few metal rungs down on the way to the carpet, and I've used my keys on the screen to show my girlfriend the sensitivity and scratch resistance. No scratches so far. However, my girlfriend keeps hers in her pocket purse all day and is generally much more careful with her 920, yet hers is the one with multiple scratches, one scratch reaching straight across the screen. I've also kept my phone in the same pocket purse with hers often.

Honestly I'm not sure what's up with the discrepancies, I'm inclined to agree with people thinking there's a batch of defective screens. Scratches don't bug me too much but my girlfriend finds it very troubling.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not BS. I had my Focus for 2 years, as did my wife, and the screens are still utterly flawless. If the Lumia 920 is scratching this easily then something is clearly wrong with their implementation of it, or some additional layer on top of it rendering the Gorilla Glass pointless. My 2 week old 920 still looks flawless, but I am very concerned after reading these posts.

Your wife had my focus too ;)

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny how members with 3 or less posts are complaining about deep scratches.
I need to make several more posts before laughing I guess :D
anyway, got 920 for a few days, but my previous 800 had one pretty rough, no idea where it came from, not a scratch, more like a stab :)

Last edited:

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Not a single scratch on my Lumia 900, which was never in a case. My 920 hasn't been so lucky. It's got a couple light scratches -- never dropped or placed in pocket with other objects. Was there a bad batch of buttery gorilla glass?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a single scratch on my Lumia 900, which was never in a case. My 920 hasn't been so lucky. It's got a couple light scratches -- never dropped or placed in pocket with other objects. Was there a bad batch of buttery gorilla glass?

For how this screen was advertised I have to say I'm disappointed. The scratches are small but shouldn't have occurred. I've treated the phone well and can't figure out how the scratches even occurred. Never did I think the phone needed a screen protector given how the gorilla glass was supposed to be so great

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I seen some of talk in here about the oleophobic coating being what is scratched. Question for you who have scratches, do your screen get greasy easily? Mine is a grease magnet, the screen is worse than the glossy polycarbonate body, it is worse than my old iPhone 4 tbh.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
With poor battery life and now scratches, I think that I've made up my mind. In about a month or so, I will crack the screen by dropping it and get a replacement. Maybe by then, some improved versions of the 920 will be in stock

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
It probably is the oleophobic coating that's scratched. . . at the end of the day, I don't care if it's that or the glass. Aesthetically a scratch is a scratch is a scratch. Given that my phone is an absolute grease magnet, in my mind that oleophobic coating is nothing but a liability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99