Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had luck exchanging their scratched phone for a new one throught AT&T? Called customer service tonight and got the runaround. They wanted us to send the phone back before they would reorder a new one. They recommended we go to a store but since the phone was ordered over the phone through customer service I'm not sure if we'll get pushback. Also, none of the stores in our area have yellow in stock.
I straight up returned it and said it was like that when I got it (online). No questions asked. Unethical, maybe, but so is selling me a phone with defective coating.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think this was affecting me until I checked the screen tonight and noticed a small less than 1mm scratch on the screen. I keep the phone in my pocket with nothing else (no keys, change or paper) and only use my fingers to manipulate the screen. I may put that screen protector on I have that's sitting on the kitchen counter... was hoping to not use one time, but oh well. My iPhones never scratched and the att guy had good luck with his L900...at least it hasn't affected visibility yet.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I straight up returned it and said it was like that when I got it (online). No questions asked. Unethical, maybe, but so is selling me a phone with defective coating.

Did you return it or exchange it for another? If you exchanged it, have you had any more issues with scratches? When we called the store the rep told us we could come in and talk to a manager about exchanging it, but they didn't have yellow and not sure if it's worth risking more scratches for a color we don't really want. Hate the idea of having to use a screen protector too.

Red87

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if certain vendor phones aren't using Gorilla Glass at all. I had my phone in my pocket and mistakenly put my keys in with it for a few minutes. Several microscratches near the side of the screen there were impossible to wipe out or anything.

Then I dropped it from about 3 feet from my car when it came out of my pocket and it landed on the corner. Now I have a bigger scratch: http://i.imgur.com/5v4hD.jpg. The screen shattered instantly and it didn't even hit that hard.

My 920 is the German Vodafone matte black 920. Someone else who has the Vodafone 920 also has microscratches in theirs.

I had a Droid 2, and then a Droid X as my last two phones and both of those suffered far worse drops than my 920 and never had anything.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You all got me paranoid and had me looking at my screen in more detail. And guess what...

Had my yellow 920 for just over a week. Just slightly above the middle of the phone is a small, what I can only describe as a speck. It's not a scratch because you can't feel it and only shows when the screen is dim and is dirty with prints. I thought I noticed it the other day but wiped it clean and away it goes, so I suspect it has always been there. I may possibly take it back to Phones4u as a defect because it doesn't look or feel like a scratch, it looks like the protective covering is missing/removed/wiped off. It's weird.

Is this similar to a lot of your reports?

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been rocking a horrible, horrible screen protector from AT&T until I can get a Zagg put on. I just ordered one online tonight since I couldn't find anyone in my area that had them in stock for the 920. If you use the code 50day you will get 50% off your order! I got the one for the front and back (not the sides) and saved $12.50! I'm a little nervous about putting it on because I usually have them installed by someone else, but I can't take this one from AT&T too much longer. It stays on good and doesn't seem to interfere with the touch screen but it isn't CLEAR and it makes my screen look dull and hazy.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
No one said GG is scratch PROOF, but it's highly resistant to scratch. If you be careful enough, like I did with my Samsung Focus (only GG1), after 2.5 years without any screen protection, my screen only had 1or 2 noticeable "scratches" and they're barely visible too. I'm pretty certain that I won't be putting any screen protectors on my L920, the screen is just not the same with it

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
No one said GG is scratch PROOF, but it's highly resistant to scratch. If you be careful enough, like I did with my Samsung Focus (only GG1), after 2.5 years without any screen protection, my screen only had 1or 2 noticeable "scratches" and they're barely visible too. I'm pretty certain that I won't be putting any screen protectors on my L920, the screen is just not the same with it

About a month after I first got my focus, I fell of my long board going down a hill. My stupid self was holding my phone instead of having it in my pocket, and splat! Face down on the road.... Needless to say, I had the extreme Spiderman edition, but the beast still worked just fine. After I sent it to Samsung for repair, I never dropped it again, and the screen 2 years later has no blemishes whatsoever. No case. No screen protector. Just lots of TLC

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
About a month after I first got my focus, I fell of my long board going down a hill. My stupid self was holding my phone instead of having it in my pocket, and splat! Face down on the road.... Needless to say, I had the extreme Spiderman edition, but the beast still worked just fine. After I sent it to Samsung for repair, I never dropped it again, and the screen 2 years later has no blemishes whatsoever. No case. No screen protector. Just lots of TLC
Thanks for supporting my point, lol So yeah I just think it's not that easy to damage your 920 screen... just don't do silly things such as putting it in the pocket with keys and coins.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My three year old iPhone 3GS has fewer scratches on the screen than my one month old Nokia 920. I haven't used a protector on either one. If you want your new Nokia to look like an old iPhone, then don't put a screen protector on it.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
My three year old iPhone 3GS has fewer scratches on the screen than my one month old Nokia 920. I haven't used a protector on either one. If you want your new Nokia to look like an old iPhone, then don't put a screen protector on it.

Well it's just with my personal experience, I never had to worry about scratches with my phone screen with Gorilla Glass, the body of the phone yes, so I get cases for that unlike some people here (which is a valid choice too). I would post some pictures of my L920 screen after few months but that seems pointless, plus you may not believe that I didn't just put screen protector on and then take it off to take some nice pictures xD.

killzone killzo

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The secret to avoiding scratches on any phone is to blow away the dust particles before wiping it with a cloth. Better yet, wipe it with a cloth that is slightly damp and has some soap on it AFTER you blow away the dust. A better solution would be to not wipe it at all and make sure you use the phone with clean hands (i.e. not greesy) to avoid getting the screen dirty. That has done it for the past week.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The secret to avoiding scratches on any phone is to blow away the dust particles before wiping it with a cloth. Better yet, wipe it with a cloth that is slightly damp and has some soap on it AFTER you blow away the dust. A better solution would be to not wipe it at all and make sure you use the phone with clean hands (i.e. not greesy) to avoid getting the screen dirty. That has done it for the past week.

Or having a dedicated phone-only pocket on all your pants. Nothing ever goes in my front right pocket except for my phone. When I'm not carrying my phone, its empty.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You're getting the coating scratched. It's there to help keep fingerprints off. Most small scratches come from dirt. Small particles like sand. So even if you use a pocket with nothing else in it you still run the risk of small sandy particles rubbing the screen. As was mentioned before blow off the screen before wiping it clean and use a clean, damp cloth. Do not use a tissue because those are just wood particles. Same goes for wiping it off on your sleeve or pants leg, some dirt particles can be lodged there unless you just put it on.

Personally I hate scratches so I put Ghost Armor on mine (full body to give it a bit more grip). It's perfectly clear and feels like the glass. But if you don't want a screen protector and don't have to worry then use a sleeve in your pocket and periodically vacuum it out to ensure no small particles are in it.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
:( I dropped my phone one time and it got all scratched with my jacket's zipper chains.

I bought a $5 protective screen, but this screen isn't good quality. :(

mt219

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I got a scratch on my first one the day I got it. No idea how. Ended up switching it out for a new one because of the top going in when I pushed it near the sim card. Haven't had one since

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Exactly a month to the day since I got my phone. Just picked it up and saw something on the screen and was disappointed to see one large scratch near the bottom and sever small scratches on the face. I have no idea how this happened. It was fine when I got to work. Set it on my desk when I got to work (it was fine then), and when I got up to take a break saw the marks.
It was sitting on it's back on my desk with my sweatshirt (no zipper, metal, or plastic parts on it) covering it. I just don't get it. I'm very OCD when it comes to taking care of my electronics. I've never scratched a screen on any other phone I've had.
The little ones aren't a big deal, but the big one at the bottom is pretty noticeable and you can feel it with your finger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo