Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how you guys managed this. I've been carrying my phone with no case and no screen protector for a month and it looks like it did the day I bought it. I'm careful with it, but not to the point of being fanatical.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how you guys managed this. I've been carrying my phone with no case and no screen protector for a month and it looks like it did the day I bought it. I'm careful with it, but not to the point of being fanatical.

Believe me I'm stumped. I'm really careful and carry it just how I carried by iPhone and I never got a scratch on my iPhone.

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
- "Needless to say, I had the extreme Spiderman edition."

Love this! It will be my new term for a busted screen.

For me, no case or screen protector. I'm careful but not paranoid. No scratches or really any change at all from the way the phone looked out of the box after a quick wipe with a lint free cloth. The thing is solid and well built. Tough enough to go naked and too pretty to cover up.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I still feel it's a well built phone and have no desire to get rid of it just because of a couple of scratches. It's by far the best looking phone I've ever owned.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
- "Needless to say, I had the extreme Spiderman edition."

Love this! It will be my new term for a busted screen.

For me, no case or screen protector. I'm careful but not paranoid. No scratches or really any change at all from the way the phone looked out of the box after a quick wipe with a lint free cloth. The thing is solid and well built. Tough enough to go naked and too pretty to cover up.

yeah cuz small shards of glass were falling off the screen lol

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
You're getting the coating scratched. It's there to help keep fingerprints off. Most small scratches come from dirt. Small particles like sand. So even if you use a pocket with nothing else in it you still run the risk of small sandy particles rubbing the screen. As was mentioned before blow off the screen before wiping it clean and use a clean, damp cloth. Do not use a tissue because those are just wood particles. Same goes for wiping it off on your sleeve or pants leg, some dirt particles can be lodged there unless you just put it on.

I live in Florida and there's nothing but sand here. What's dirt?... Lol anyway, its easy enough to not get sand in your pocket

R42

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
This is bad

I put my lumia 920 on my coat pocket and i take it off and see small scratches on it.
I got pissed off.

ugh

I dont know what to do

I am about to get the Zagg full body kit and apply it.

gumbedamit

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
IDK. I purchased 2 920's for me and my 12 year old son. I was concerned about him destroying his phone and did some research for a case. I found the 920 did not need a case. I also found that YouTube video and thought that it was great!! Of course I had the try the scratch test, first some keys, then I started STABBING my screen with the point of a STEAK KNIFE, not a freakin scratch! It's hard for me to imagine how people claim their phone is getting scratched just by being in their pocket???? Makes me wonder how many of these posts are legit...

gumbedamit

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that you need one. I purchased 2 phones, my 12 yr old has not managed to do anything to get his scratched. I stabbed mine several times testing to see if I could put a scratch on it. Looks just like the day I took it out of the box. Could it be Nokia is making 2 different 920 phones? I've stabbed mine, it's fallen from my TALL SUV, as well from the arm of my patio chair face first on concrete, and still not a scratch. Read the posts and decide which ones you believe and then make your choice. For me, nothing is covering up this Bad A$$ phone.

chedward

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This screen issue was not made up. Same Problem here. I just used it for about one month. I got one rather deep scratch after putting my Lumia 920 in my jacket's pocket for about 20 mins. It's impossible to accidentally scratch it by zippers or other stuff, since the pocket is large and I never put any other thing except my phone in it.

Also get a small,minor bump on the glass after I accidentally slipped it from my hand. The distance to the floor is just less than 1 meter. I'm amazed that many people are having the similar issue.

gumbedamit

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after a few months with my Lumia 920, I still love the phone, but the whole screen thing has been debunked. I was one who believed the whole youtube knife stabbing and all. I did the same thing to my phone, and it seemed to have worked. There is something about the screen that when you clean it after you scratch it, it seems that the scratches get filled in and are not noticeable, but they are still there. When the screen is dirty and smudged, you DO notice the scratches!! I scratched mine with forks, knives, keys, and if you use a cleaner, the scratches appear to be gone, they are still there. I got so annoyed at how my screened looked, I sent it back for a replacement. I still don't believe that I need a screen protector, I just won't be stabbing it with a knife anymore!!! lol

weisman87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after a few months with my Lumia 920, I still love the phone, but the whole screen thing has been debunked. I was one who believed the whole youtube knife stabbing and all. I did the same thing to my phone, and it seemed to have worked. There is something about the screen that when you clean it after you scratch it, it seems that the scratches get filled in and are not noticeable, but they are still there. When the screen is dirty and smudged, you DO notice the scratches!! I scratched mine with forks, knives, keys, and if you use a cleaner, the scratches appear to be gone, they are still there. I got so annoyed at how my screened looked, I sent it back for a replacement. I still don't believe that I need a screen protector, I just won't be stabbing it with a knife anymore!!! lol

You sent your phone back to Nokia for a replacement because you PURPOSEFULLY took forks, knives, and keys to it and noticed scratches? That is some major bull**** on your part. There's a reason for warranties and this is definitely NOT it; you did the damage yourself, on purpose. I dropped a 920 and dented/scraped the corners but didn't try to claim it for a replacement because that's not what the damn warranty is for.

mattwoodget

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is an unfortunate amount of trolling on this thread - including some pretty nasty charges leveled as legitimate people raising real concerns. One charge leveled was that of 'their first post was complaining about this'. My first post here was on this topic and it was to join in the conversation, and contribute and seek help. It's a shame that people are being lambasted for that.

Any way I digress. I wanted to report back on the screen issues I had. My first 920 did have a very scratch prone screen. Despite my best efforts. I wasn't going to overly baby it but I did go to the precaution of never putting it in a pocket with other things, or let it loose in bag. Well unfortunately it did scratch as I noted before. Eventually I bought a screen protector, which was OK and masked the scratches. It also oddly added a bulk and feel to the phone I didn't like I did have a problem with that first phone and had it replaced. The screen, subject to *exactly* the same treatment as the first didn't have the same scratch issues i.e. scratches building up within a week. It did eventually start to scratch and when it did the marks were much fainter than the first phone.

Make of that what you will but it does seem to indicate that maybe there an issue with 'batches'. There has been some talk about the coating on the screens scratching vs. the screen itself, maybe that is also related.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I detest posting on here because people are lucky enough to not experience the issues some of the issues people are talking about. I had scuffs with one day of having my phone... but nothing that really bothered me. The other day... My daughter set her phone and my phone in the double cup holder in the car. I didn't notice it when she did it. so during the course of normal driving... the phones rubbed against each other and the cup holder enclosure.

Now... my phone has very noticable scuff marks and a scratch that makes me want to find a hair on my bald head and pull it out. It's not noticable when you're using it... but you turn the phone off and it's almost as if it glows. Scratches and Scuffs are happening and they're happening rather easily. If anyone was not being truthful on this board... it would be the people who are claiming flawless screens...

I've used a solvent to clean my screen before... I wonder if I've washed off any coating that was on it. My phone was a launch day purchase too... FYI.

Acp7

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
IDK. I purchased 2 920's for me and my 12 year old son. I was concerned about him destroying his phone and did some research for a case. I found the 920 did not need a case. I also found that YouTube video and thought that it was great!! Of course I had the try the scratch test, first some keys, then I started STABBING my screen with the point of a STEAK KNIFE, not a freakin scratch! It's hard for me to imagine how people claim their phone is getting scratched just by being in their pocket???? Makes me wonder how many of these posts are legit...

I got 2 scuffs, small little indents onto my phone. You cans see them pretty well in the light, and they're really frustrating. Just to let people know, I absolutely BABY my phone. I've never dropped it, put it facedown on a table, nothing. I just took it out of my pocket one day, and voila, it has 2 nice scuffs on the screen. So far I've loved my 920, but some of the build quality issues such as the screen and the creaking noises are annoying me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)