Would you buy your 920 again?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I've owned a 920 since Late November and had to exchange it due to problems. Current 920 having problems as well. My wife's 920 bought at the same time has also experienced problems.

Hey sorry if you guys don't care for my opinion regarding this phone, but the OP didn't specify positive posts only. Neither the phone or the OS have met my expectations, so why should I praise them?

What's so bad with wishing you well? I gave you my blessing.

mjbatnt.gif

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm always surprised that someone can make comments about a device being total garbage and not working and everything just stinks when almost everyone else has NO problems. Is it really the phone? Is it because the user doesn't know what they're doing? I also read on a lot of boards where people complain about "creaking". Are they being OCD? In all of the phones I've owned (many), I have never hear the illusive "creak". Certainly I've had phones that have had problems (they're computers after all) and i've promptly exchanged them, but I've never had a situation where I got 3 or 4 bad ones. What's going on here? I would have to see a lot of people complaining about that before I really took it seriously. Also, how can you possibly say that WP8 gives you nothing more than iPhone with it's row after row of simple, do-nothing icons? Certainly some of the live tiles could use some work in updating properly but I get WAY more out of WP8 than a dull boring iPhone gives me - One glance will tell me if I have any appts today, how man texts and emails I have along with who it's from, updates to social media, weather report, constant scrolling of pictures in my pic library, what audio book I'm currently listening to and many other things. The iPhone, while being a well running device, is nothing if not BORING with its row after row of small tell-me-nothing icons and its over hyped value. It's true worth is probably in the huge number of apps and peripherals it has, NOT in the device itself.

Really? Everyone else has NO problems? Holy **** have you read these forums? The problems are numerous and the people reporting them plentiful. But these really are phone problems and It doesn't look like the OS is at fault, most of the time. Sure, the OS was rushed and it's missing a few things, but it works well for the most part. I happen to love WP8. I love what they are trying to do. I can't agree with him on the IOS point, but that's his opinion and he's welcome to it. IMO, Android though, does a lot better. It's been around longer. It took Android a lot of updates to get to where it is today and MS will have to go through the same growing pains. I think the live times are great. For the most part they work. Some apps say they make use of Live tiles but they just don't work. Likely an App developer issue. No fault of the OS, other apps don't have a problem. I do want more customization though. I want more insight into the inner working of the OS. I want Apps to have more access to the inner bits to give me more information of what is running and how it's running. But that's just me. I'll run circles around most people as far as windows "fanboyism" is concerned, but not to the point of self delusion about what doesn't work. Ok, well, mostly not self deluded. :)

Now, as for the phone itself. That is where the problems are. And a lot spur from one thing. They forgot to seal the phone completely leaving a gap in one little spot. This hurts the front facing camera. (Dust) Dust also get into the proximity sensor from there. It also gets into the ambient light sensor. One little gap and it causes a chain of issues. Crazy fluctuations using the automatic brightness function. Screen not coming back on while in-call. Fuzzy pics using FFC. Vibration motor sounds a little loose. I have that. Many others do too. Battery drain issues. TONS of reports about those. That could be OS, Hardware, Apps. Who knows.

Anyway, I'M always surprised someone can't come into these forums and give his opinion without being called a troll or an idiot user that must just be doing it wrong. Just because YOU didn't have a problem, doesn't mean he didn't, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe you just spent a lot of money on a phone and now you feel the need to justify your purchase by throwing on the blinders and defending it to the death. It human nature. It happens. :) I've never heard the "creak" either. But others have, and posted video evidence to show. The world doesn't revolve around YOU. YOU don't get to say the phone has no problems just because you don't experience them.

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What's so bad with wishing you well? I gave you my blessing.

Don't pretend you wern't being snarky. It's a typical forum response in this situation. Happens thousands of times a day.
"Your departure from Windows Phone will not be missed, I wish you well with your future endeavours."

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Odd, it's actually more modern than iOS and Android.
What do you mean with "modern"? For example, it supports 4G so you call it "modern"?
WP8 philosophy is older then other OSs. It lacks SAME features WM6 lacks too. It doesn't care about tons of actual customer needs and you can check this yourself, just reading this forum.
WP8 is just a porting of an old OS in modern platform. But it remains an old OS.

Last edited:

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
You fine ladies and gentlemen, I do understand you may be upset with your 920 (like myself), I get that, but what I don't get is all of you saying you'll take your business over to/back to iOS and Android.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would. Wifey and I both have 920s now and the hardware has treated us well. As for the OS, there are things here she is able to do effortlessly that I think would otherwise be complicated for her to do. A few examples would be the family room. We both use it religiously. We both have busy schedules and we use the family room for a grocery list, a dinner menu for the week, and the shared calendar. These three things make our week to week life much easier, I know what to cook when she is working late, we know what groceries week need to pick up on the weekend, and our weekend time together,which is hallowed ground, is always planned out so we know what play time we have. I don't think the other two OSes can do the calendar and document sharing quite as well as this one does.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would. Wifey and I both have 920s now and the hardware has treated us well. As for the OS, there are things here she is able to do effortlessly that I think would otherwise be complicated for her to do. A few examples would be the family room. We both use it religiously. We both have busy schedules and we use the family room for a grocery list, a dinner menu for the week, and the shared calendar. These three things make our week to week life much easier, I know what to cook when she is working late, we know what groceries week need to pick up on the weekend, and our weekend time together,which is hallowed ground, is always planned out so we know what play time we have. I don't think the other two OSes can do the calendar and document sharing quite as well as this one does.

Been trying to get my wifey over to WP myself. How did you do it? I guess that would be a good reason to buy my 920 again, or get her a less enormous handset as she's not really that picky about specs and mega pixels.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I probably would but I will research my next Nokia WP purchase a little more. I love the capabilities of the phone and the OS but it's quite apparent that Nokia is still in it's infancy with manufacturing truly solid and consistent Lumia's. I am guessing it will only get better from here so I am excited for next March when I am eligible for my upgrade to see what they have then.

Issues - vibration rattle, space between bezel and screen, dust on front facing camera, etc. These issues should be easy to be fixed but have been consistently present in at least the Lumia 900 and Lumia 920.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Totally agree. This is the FIRST time I've actually been able to get on the same page as my technologically impaired hubby. He now knows to go into the Family Room for all info I wish to impart to him. No more looking for texts and emails and claiming he never got them. Everything is right there and easy to find. That alone makes this OS worth every penney for me. Usually when I ask my hubby which phone he likes (he's had many including iPhone and Android), he is very noncommittal. Anything is fine with him. This time? He says he prefers the Windows Phone. He's used to it and finds it easy to deal with. I think the Family Room is what really sells it for him though. It's very easy and everything he needs is right there. What's not to like?

P.S. We have had NONE of the hardware issues mentioned in this thread.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Really? Everyone else has NO problems? Holy **** have you read these forums? The problems are numerous and the people reporting them plentiful. But these really are phone problems and It doesn't look like the OS is at fault, most of the time. Sure, the OS was rushed and it's missing a few things, but it works well for the most part. I happen to love WP8. I love what they are trying to do. I can't agree with him on the IOS point, but that's his opinion and he's welcome to it. IMO, Android though, does a lot better. It's been around longer. It took Android a lot of updates to get to where it is today and MS will have to go through the same growing pains. I think the live times are great. For the most part they work. Some apps say they make use of Live tiles but they just don't work. Likely an App developer issue. No fault of the OS, other apps don't have a problem. I do want more customization though. I want more insight into the inner working of the OS. I want Apps to have more access to the inner bits to give me more information of what is running and how it's running. But that's just me. I'll run circles around most people as far as windows "fanboyism" is concerned, but not to the point of self delusion about what doesn't work. Ok, well, mostly not self deluded. :)

Now, as for the phone itself. That is where the problems are. And a lot spur from one thing. They forgot to seal the phone completely leaving a gap in one little spot. This hurts the front facing camera. (Dust) Dust also get into the proximity sensor from there. It also gets into the ambient light sensor. One little gap and it causes a chain of issues. Crazy fluctuations using the automatic brightness function. Screen not coming back on while in-call. Fuzzy pics using FFC. Vibration motor sounds a little loose. I have that. Many others do too. Battery drain issues. TONS of reports about those. That could be OS, Hardware, Apps. Who knows.

Anyway, I'M always surprised someone can't come into these forums and give his opinion without being called a troll or an idiot user that must just be doing it wrong. Just because YOU didn't have a problem, doesn't mean he didn't, or anyone else for that matter. Maybe you just spent a lot of money on a phone and now you feel the need to justify your purchase by throwing on the blinders and defending it to the death. It human nature. It happens. :) I've never heard the "creak" either. But others have, and posted video evidence to show. The world doesn't revolve around YOU. YOU don't get to say the phone has no problems just because you don't experience them.

I stand by my remarks. No doubt some people actually do have hardware issues but I still say these are the exception and NOT the rule. I've had a number of phones where people would talk endlessly about hardware issues yet I had none of them. Am I Just lucky? Perhaps. Still, I will never believe with any high end phone (regardless of make and model), that you can go thru 3 or 4 and still have problems. Either you are an extreme perfectionist (do you sit there with a magnifying glass and examine your phone?) or just have INCREDIBLY bad luck. And for the record, I have no illusions about Windows phone. There are indeed growing pains to be had, mostly with the software but as an early adopter, I accept that as the cost of doing business. Do you? It still better than the majority of phones out there and in case you haven't noticed, there is not a single device that is not without some issue, be it hardware or software. It simply comes down to what's important to you and what you are willing to live with

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
. One glance will tell me if I have any appts today, how many texts and emails I have along with who it's from, updates to social media, weather report, constant scrolling of pictures in my pic library, what audio book I'm currently listening to and many other things. The iPhone, while being a well running device, is nothing if not BORING with its row after row of small tell-me-nothing icons and its over hyped value. It's true worth is probably in the huge number of apps and peripherals it has, NOT in the device itself.

1. Every Android phone and its brother comes with a Weather Widget app. Nothing new.
2. Why do you need a to be told what Audiobook you're listening to? Didn't you have to select it in the first place?
3. I've seen Android and iOS place a number on the mail icon which tells you that you have new emails. Probably does the same for txts and appts, but I don't have one in front of me to verify atm.
4. What do you get out of a constantly updating photo tile that shows your photo library? What relevant info does that provide and aren't you going to have to open the photo library to actually look at the pics anyway?
5. Social Media: You got me there as I could not give two ****s about Facebook, twitter, etc.

I'm not biased to one platform or another. Barring my personal hatred for what Microsoft is doing as of late, If WP8 brought something unique and useful, then I would praise it. Truth is that Live tiles are a failed concept that look better on paper than in practice. Again, only my opinion. If you enjoy it, that's fine, but don't bash me because I do not.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Been trying to get my wifey over to WP myself. How did you do it? I guess that would be a good reason to buy my 920 again, or get her a less enormous handset as she's not really that picky about specs and mega pixels.

It wasn't easy, she was on an iphone 4 before the switch. We originally switched her to a Focus Flash. She had a hard time getting used to how apps work and how they hang out in the background. I think that part of it is easier understood on iphone where you don't really need to control background tasks. Now that she knows how to do all of that stuff, she likes it.

The biggest push to switch was when her coworker friend accidentally wiped her phone by punching in the wrong passcode. She didn't sync her phone with a cable everyday, or icloud.. yeah, you can see where this is going. She lost all of her contacts. I told her if she had a winphone this wouldn't have happened. That's when I got her to make the switch.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd absolutely get another 920. Nokia's continued strong support for the platform is inspiring my loyalty. I have my own reservations with the app situation, although it seems to be improving considerably. The thing that bothers me on the hardware side is that I wish they had gone with something a bit more current. I think the current hardware does the job, but it's definitely at the end of it's life cycle. Then again, Blackberry just hit the market with the same hardware.

That said, I agree that the phone has other issues. However, I think they're overblown from the perspective that people talk like there aren't problems with iPhones and Android phones. The difference is that those platforms have been around long enough for a vocal fanbase to have formed.

With Android there are a multitude of options. There's also the satisfaction in knowing that the flagship phones are always top of the heap in terms of hardware. Whatever shortcomings the OS has are easily addressed with a robust marketplace.

With Apple, the app store compensates for some very severe shortcomings with the OS, but this is something most people overlook. Also crucial to their success, is an especially rabid fanbase. Bring up an issue on Apple forums and if they aren't criticizing you directly they're finding a rational explanation for all flaws. The iPhone 5 has had complains of the finish chipping off the aluminum, poor battery life, excessive data use, light bleed, colors being off with the backlight, excessive glare with the camera and, of all things, system crashes.

All this barely gets any attention because somehow Apple continues to represent a counter culture lifestyle. Certainly it's helped by nice, if increasingly stale, industrial design and a sizable group of vocal fanatics. By the same token, Microsoft hasn't been able to effective shake it's negative image. So your average consumer maintains the assumption that Apple products "just work" and think Windows 98/ME when they think Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I like Nokia OK, but WP8 needs more work. I do like it, but it needs more capabilities & apps before it becomes a serious player. I like how intuitive and simple it is though. As long as there's no MLB app, it won't be my daily driver! Overall I'd give the Lumia 920 a score of 6 or 7 out of 10. Would I buy it again? Yes, I love it as a 2nd phone. But if I had to carry only one, no.

I just recently bought a Nexus 7 as a 7" tablet, and boy, it's a headache to manage because mostly everything is many clicks away, and I want instantaneous management. However, it is the BEST 7" tablet out there! I love it! Especially the Live Wallpapers.

I guess you can say I got too spoiled with my 920 and my Vivo RT in terms of 1-swipe gestures to manage apps and processing. Even apps are very efficient and only takes 1-2 clicks!

In my opinion your view is very upside down! I use a Lumia 920 & and a Nexus 4 side-by-side, and I get frustrated by how much tapping I have to do to on the Lumia compared to the Nexus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven