Why no Love for the 8X?

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the media and websites alike are really running with the 920 love while the 8X seems like an afterthought. Why do you guys feel that is?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of angst towards HTC by people who have had bad experiences with their phones. I have only had the Trophy and it has been great. The real negative about the 8X is the limited memory. Deal breaker for many. Most reviews have been positive though.

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of angst towards HTC by people who have had bad experiences with their phones. I have only had the Trophy and it has been great. The real negative about the 8X is the limited memory. Deal breaker for many. Most reviews have been positive though.

I agree. Is it possible that MS is throwing more money into the 920 for ads, support, etc?

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the media and websites alike are really running with the 920 love while the 8X seems like an afterthought. Why do you guys feel that is?

I'm sure of why it is. Having a phone billed as a media powerhouse in 2012-2013 that has equivalent storage to the introductory level iPhone Classic from 2007 is preposterous. Worse with no expansion possibilities. Still worse when it is considered that to get half way to the Nokia 920's storage you have to pay double the 920's contract price.

People are obviously very tired of HTC shortchanging people in at least one area guaranteed. With my HD7 it was screen quality. The phone was 2010 cool with 2008 screen tech. Now they've got the screen tech and the sound tech, with yesteryear's storage. It's always something.

And the icing on the cake is the stated reason, which was "16GB is more than anyone should need". So to finish up the Jurassic exercises, they go with shortsighted visions of the future sourced from Bill Gates in 1982 or something. It's called being completely out of touch.

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure of why it is. Having a phone billed as a media powerhouse in 2012-2013 that has equivalent storage to the introductory level iPhone Classic from 2007 is preposterous. Worse with no expansion possibilities. Still worse when it is considered that to get half way to the Nokia 920's storage you have to pay double the 920's contract price.

People are obviously very tired of HTC shortchanging people in at least one area guaranteed. With my HD7 it was screen quality. The phone was 2010 cool with 2008 screen tech. Now they've got the screen tech and the sound tech, with yesteryear's storage. It's always something.

And the icing on the cake is the stated reason, which was "16GB is more than anyone should need". So to finish up the Jurassic exercises, they go with shortsighted visions of the future sourced from Bill Gates in 1982 or something. It's called being completely out of touch.

How much storage is in their One X? That's actually a good point about the limited storage.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The AVERAGE person can get along with 16GB just fine. Especially on the WP8 platform. Apps aren't that big like on android or iOS AND you wont be downloading many apps AT THIS TIME either. lol. The reason I don't think HTC is getting much play in the media is because they aren't bringing A GAME SPECS to the table. I like HTC, but like a previous poster said, they short change people in one area always. Why? I don't know. Saving costs? I don't know. The 8x is a great phone especially for people not so pinned on having a huge screen. 4.3 in. is big enough for the average person. The storage spacing and price is what gets them bad press or no press. Nokia is bouncing their Pureview tech which with me having a 920 now, it a bit overhyped. No one is taking pro pics with a camera phone period. The low light shots are cool, but when you blow them up on my 27 inch monitor, they look like a soft blurred picture. On facebook where the screen is smaller on your phone it might look good, but my Nikon will be the pro photographer cam. Nokia is also advertising a bunch of other specs that don't make a huge difference in comparison to the 8x. HD+ screen and pureblack. The pureblack is only slightly more black than the 920. And the HD+ screen....gimmick. Nokia has app exclusivity and the camera tech that sets them up for press. Plus they have a good support track record. Something HTC needs to work on.

I can state my opinions on both phone because I've owned both of them. I owned the 8x first. My wife had the 920. I was comparing, got mad and on impulse traded in my 8x because I felt a bit cheated. Then when I got my own 920, I missed my 8x again. The feel of it is just so practical. The 920 is a great phone, but the practicality of the size isn't ideal FOR ME. I have big hands too. I palm pro sized basketballs with ease, but the 920 is just big for no reason it would seem. It most def stands out, but so did my 8x. My cousin in law saw me with the 8x and asked me about it and said the screen was so great looking not to mention the size and feel of the phone was so her. Then I have convinced my sister in law on T-mo to get the 8x. She is super hyped to get an 8x and the Windows Phone 8 platform.

But seriously....HTC needs to step their game up. They need to get outside of their little bubble and off their island and start hearing the gripes and doing something about it. I currently own the One X...love it. But it ain't a windows phone!!!! Damnit!!!

Bundalings

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The 16 GB made me not consider it even for a moment. It also seems like Nokia has a better track record with continued support of their hardware/software. I've only owned Motorola (hated it) and Samsung (liked it) phones before so either company will be something new for me. The 8X is just unworkable with that tiny storage, though.

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What is the beef with 16GB storage. I have that on my SG3 and I still have 7 GB free. I stream everything. I take a ton of pics and other things and have no problem with it. I think you are All complaining about something that isn't an issue. Don't forget you get 7gb of cloud space.

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The AVERAGE person can get along with 16GB just fine. Especially on the WP8 platform. Apps aren't that big like on android or iOS AND you wont be downloading many apps AT THIS TIME either. lol. The reason I don't think HTC is getting much play in the media is because they aren't bringing A GAME SPECS to the table. I like HTC, but like a previous poster said, they short change people in one area always. Why? I don't know. Saving costs? I don't know. The 8x is a great phone especially for people not so pinned on having a huge screen. 4.3 in. is big enough for the average person. The storage spacing and price is what gets them bad press or no press. Nokia is bouncing their Pureview tech which with me having a 920 now, it a bit overhyped. No one is taking pro pics with a camera phone period. The low light shots are cool, but when you blow them up on my 27 inch monitor, they look like a soft blurred picture. On facebook where the screen is smaller on your phone it might look good, but my Nikon will be the pro photographer cam. Nokia is also advertising a bunch of other specs that don't make a huge difference in comparison to the 8x. HD+ screen and pureblack. The pureblack is only slightly more black than the 920. And the HD+ screen....gimmick. Nokia has app exclusivity and the camera tech that sets them up for press. Plus they have a good support track record. Something HTC needs to work on.

I can state my opinions on both phone because I've owned both of them. I owned the 8x first. My wife had the 920. I was comparing, got mad and on impulse traded in my 8x because I felt a bit cheated. Then when I got my own 920, I missed my 8x again. The feel of it is just so practical. The 920 is a great phone, but the practicality of the size isn't ideal FOR ME. I have big hands too. I palm pro sized basketballs with ease, but the 920 is just big for no reason it would seem. It most def stands out, but so did my 8x. My cousin in law saw me with the 8x and asked me about it and said the screen was so great looking not to mention the size and feel of the phone was so her. Then I have convinced my sister in law on T-mo to get the 8x. She is super hyped to get an 8x and the Windows Phone 8 platform.

But seriously....HTC needs to step their game up. They need to get outside of their little bubble and off their island and start hearing the gripes and doing something about it. I currently own the One X...love it. But it ain't a windows phone!!!! Damnit!!!

Great post. So would you go back to 8X or do you prefer the 920?

What is the beef with 16GB storage. I have that on my SG3 and I still have 7 GB free. I stream everything. I take a ton of pics and other things and have no problem with it. I think you are All complaining about something that isn't an issue. Don't forget you get 7gb of cloud space.

I agree that they should have had a 32 GB version too. It's funny though because I bought the 32 GB iPhone 3GS version about three years ago and I've only used 7.3 GBs of that.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Great post. So would you go back to 8X or do you prefer the 920?.

I actually am trying to go back to the 8x. But I used my 14 day return so I MIGHT be selling it on Craigslist. The 920 is great, but the only areas where it is solidly ahead of the 8x and not objectively ahead is low light pcs and exclusive apps. Oh and price too. Storage is objective. Not everyone needs over 14.58 gb of space. The 8x actually takes great pics and videos in normal situations. The screen...objective. Some people like bigger screens and some people prefer it smaller. The one x was a big screen but wasn't as wide as the 920. Typing was easier on the 8x and one x.

Both 920 and 8x are great. If your I think its just a matter of needs/preference.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Well stated in my view. What some people don't seem to realize is that many people don't wish to stream everything, and they have large music collections they wish to upload to their phone in order to prevent having to use their data plan for the privilege of listening to music they already paid for.

Bundalings

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I have 16 GBs of just music, make no mention of photos, videos, apps, and the OS.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I came pretty close to not ordering the 8x because I refuse to give Apple even $6 of my money. But then I realized that the licensing deal probably only applies to Android HTC phones.

That said, if the 8x ends up being as bad as the 3.5/5 reviews, I am done with HTC for good after my horrible experience with the Rogers One X.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree...its not even so much that its the fact its half the space, its the fact that its twice as much for half the space. If the HTC 8X was $99 I would have probably jumped for that. Right now I am sort of waffling between the two devices and hoping maybe HTC quickly drops the price of the 8X.

popartist

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I have over 40GB of music on my iPod - yes I do play a lot of it, and no I do not want to have to keep switching out, as it is I do not have all my music on it. Streaming is not a good option when commuting on the subway and through long tunnels. I'd love to have a great HTC phone with at least the removable storage option so I can ditch the iPod.

Iamdunne

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If the 8X had 32 GB, I probably would have gone with it...

I really want those extra 80 pixels of real estate.

Me too, I have the htc OneX, liked the look of the 8x better then lumia but for the price and storage had to give lumia a try. I take a lot of pics and haves lot of music and apps and ran out of storage on my OneX.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the 920 on the 7th before I heard the 8X was going to be released on the same day. I have the 920 now and it's a fantastic phone but after also handling the 8X I think I'm going to use my 14 day exchange in order to get the 8X.

I don't need the 32GB of storage, even 8GB is plenty for me.

The only things I really liked more with the 920 was the touch seemed a tad more sensitive, the screen was a tad brighter. I don't mind the weight of it so much but the bulk of it with its depth isn't great. I also got the matte black thinking it would be grippier but it's not grippy at all.

I do like the Nokia Drive GPS app, but all of my vehicles have satnav built in so it's not really all that useful to me. Having offline maps might have a corner case of usefulness but that's it. If the Nokia Maps app had not been part of the 8X maybe it would have been a different case.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the 920 on the 7th before I heard the 8X was going to be released on the same day. I have the 920 now and it's a fantastic phone but after also handling the 8X I think I'm going to use my 14 day exchange in order to get the 8X.

I don't need the 32GB of storage, even 8GB is plenty for me.

The only things I really liked more with the 920 was the touch seemed a tad more sensitive, the screen was a tad brighter. I don't mind the weight of it so much but the bulk of it with its depth isn't great. I also got the matte black thinking it would be grippier but it's not grippy at all.

I do like the Nokia Drive GPS app, but all of my vehicles have satnav built in so it's not really all that useful to me. Having offline maps might have a corner case of usefulness but that's it. If the Nokia Maps app had not been part of the 8X maybe it would have been a different case.

I'm in a similar situation as you- I've had the 920 since Friday and will probably use the 14 day return policy. I will miss the screen of the lumia 920 (brightness, extra pixels, black & white level), but I don't think I'll ever get used to the size of the 920. The 8X feels a lot more practical in hand, although I'm not excited about paying $100 more for 16GB.

I'll probably get a nokia next year if they shrink down the 920 or increase the screen resolution of the 820.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz