Apps not showing in full screen.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The more time i spend with this phone, the more faults crop up. First the audio, then the reboots, and now third party apps aren't showing in full screen.

See below

wp_ss_20121113_0005.png

As you can see there is a large black bar across the top. It looks like the app isn't scaling up to 720P. It happens on Metrotube, CNN, etc as well. I've tried reinstalling apps but they end up doing the same.

Defective unit? Or WP8 just not as ready as we thought. Glad i can buy the Nexus 4 from this morning.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
How was it snide? The 8x has a different resolution. It allows a bit more vertical space than the 920 on the home screen. This is the problem you are going to run into a lot.

Well apps should scale up to any WP8 resolution should they not? The 8X and 920 have the same vertical resolution at 1280. Just the 920 has 48 more horizontal pixels.

Keckpec29

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Most apps will be updated to work with WP8 and getting rid of the black bars, developers who don't update their apps will probably fall by the wayside and something better/newer will take its place. This will only happen initially like with the IP5.

SaucePolicy

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's the apps' fault not the phone's. They get an automatic 1 star taken off from me in their review if the app doesn't fill the screen.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You guys are rough. If the devs don't/can't make four versions of all assets that is fine. Anything is better than being scaled. Would be nice if the OS could center it though.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its rough. Any developer worth their weight in gold would have been on this in the first month at the latest. I have an idea of what goes into developing apps for windows phone and it merely takes a certain design to your app that allows for resolution detection.

I do wonder if its the device or how wp8 handles resolution detection and scaling.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
If it's done it's done. It being an app. No need to go back and reprogram and re-asset things might cost to much time or resources. It would be like old 4:3 shows rerecording just because 16:9 is now that standard. It isn't necessary and has no effect on the content. Unless you have OCD in this regard.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well apps should scale up to any WP8 resolution should they not? The 8X and 920 have the same vertical resolution at 1280. Just the 920 has 48 more horizontal pixels.
they do but 720p screen has a different aspect ratio than old 480 and Nokia's 768p. Microsoft decides to keep the aspect ratio and scale to the width. Hence the extra blank space vertically.

All wp7 apps will be this way. Wp8 apps are recommended to support all three resolutions.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's the deal... It depends on how the dev laid out the screen. I haven't done any in-depth research on this, but as a dev here's what I think, and I will test the theory if I remember to when I get home. If he laid it out with fixed values, it's not going to change the aspect ratio, thus leaving the black band. If he laid out the screen in ratios, it should scale well.

This is just a theory, because it isn't something I've thought about, as I have an 822. I haven't had time to do much development since WP 8 came out, and therefore haven't tested in the other resolutions, but now seeing this thread, I will.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just tested this with one of my apps. It turns out that I'm mistaken. The app indeed does not scale to the proper proportions on a 720p screen if the developer uses ratios instead of fixed amounts. It looks like the app has to be compiled for WP8 in order to work. Interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz