Signs of good battery life.

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So, after two days of getting OK battery life (and playing with the phone most of the day) I was at work today and not able to look at the phone every 10 minutes. For reference, the phone came off the (wired) charger around 7:30 AM after charging all night.

The first screenshot was a result of being mostly idle, about 20 minutes of LTE web browsing and downloading Skype.

The second was after leaving work. Got a couple calls that I couldn't answer, listened to a voicemail, and checked texts and e-mail.

The last one was taken after a bit more usage. Nothing too much, just checking the weather, about 10 minutes of phone calls and a couple texts.

Now, I know I'm not much of a power user, but this same usage would have my SGS1 Epic 4g at anywhere from 40-60% depending on how good my signal strength was, but with the same usage habits. I know it's not a perfect test, but it gave me some hope after all the bad reviews the battery life's been getting.

Anyone else seeing similar results?

Edit: I should add, take these results with a grain of salt, as it was the first day I wasn't using the phone a lot throughout the day and I haven't had a chance to reproduce it yet. Should get more to add as the week goes on, though.

Last edited:

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Screen brightness is set to auto, wifi was off most of the day, bluetooth off, and gps on. Think that covers everything.

ishredthecello

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Good stuff. Wish they had a battery % feature rather than just the battery icon.

There is an App called "Battery Level for Windows Phone 8" try that. it's a little icon that you can pin to start screen...also can put it on your lock screen as an info button.

Only thing I've noticed with it, is it doesn't display 100%, the phone is 100%, but the app displays 99%, not sure why, not a big deal.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, i have to ask, do you even use your phone? THose figures are just hard to believe.

10 hours and still 90%?

Also, when you toggle your battery saver on and off, does the estimated time change? On the focus S and 900, when i would toggle on, it would increase by a couple hours, when i do it with my 920 , the hours dont change at all.

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
what about email sync and background tasks?? (as the come, 30 mins, etc)

Ah, right. I have 4 accounts set to either 1 hour or 2 hours, depending on the importance of the account. Haven't toyed around with limiting background tasks yet, so those are all defaults.

Sorry, i have to ask, do you even use your phone? THose figures are just hard to believe.

10 hours and still 90%?

Also, when you toggle your battery saver on and off, does the estimated time change? On the focus S and 900, when i would toggle on, it would increase by a couple hours, when i do it with my 920 , the hours dont change at all.

As I said, the first two were done during and after work where the phone was mostly sitting in my pocket, aside from my lunch break and a couple quick email, text, and voicemail checks. For me, the more impressive part was the improvement over my old phone with nearly identical usage.

I didn't try toggling the battery saver on and off. I just leave it at that setting. The "time remaining" seems to be a little bit off, as it seems to be based on your average power usage since unplugging it, hence the ridiculous 13 day estimate in the first screenshot.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. If data was on all day I would have to call that incredible battery performance. 1.36% per hour with light-moderate usage. Means you can go 3+ days on a single charge.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep. If data was on all day I would have to call that incredible battery performance. 1.36% per hour with light-moderate usage. Means you can go 3+ days on a single charge.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Yeah. I was on LTE all day, just not really using it. As it stands, I'm still considering this an anomaly until I see it repeated a few times (and then I want to try using it as an mp3 player for a few days). I know this scenario isn't going to apply to everyone so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much, but for me, it could turn out nicely since my job isn't really conducive to playing with my phone.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Going to add my 0.02 here on my phone:

Phone came off the wired charger around 11am, it's now 9pm and I have 72% remaining. Little use today - ~30 text messages, very quick calls, I played with it maybe 1-2 hrs total. Wifi was on (but not on a wifi network) so all data transfer was over cell. 2 email accounts setup to download every hour or so. I disabled all background tasks

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There is an App called "Battery Level for Windows Phone 8" try that. it's a little icon that you can pin to start screen...also can put it on your lock screen as an info button.

Only thing I've noticed with it, is it doesn't display 100%, the phone is 100%, but the app displays 99%, not sure why, not a big deal.

I think all the app is doing is displaying the battery percentage as the number of notifications, and "maximum number of notifications" is probably 99.

Beacio_mo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I've found battery life to be great. Came from Android where I had to always close apps, turn off WiFi and Bluetooth anytime I could, and carry replacement batteries to last the day.

With the 920, its been very easy to last the day. I unplugged mine at 8:00am, plugged it in once when using Drive for a 30 minute drive (barely charged from high brightness and screen on the whole time), and lasted until 12:30am. This was with moderate use too browsing websites, syncing 4 email accounts, music streaming, and other apps throughout the day.

Reminds me of my iPhone days, everything just works!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon