Lumia 920 Dolby vs 8X Beats vs Iphone4s

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder which performs better. Can an audiophile please tell me which phone provide better sound quality? Also comment on the high, mids and lows. I think the 8X have a strong mids and lows. I've heard that the 8X has an additional amplifier. The 920 doesn't, and is not loud enough at highest volume. I believe that Beats is just gimmicky.
I'm currently using an iPhone4s. I'm using a Westone 3. It sounds quite amazing with the iPhone4s actually. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earl_z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The biggest gripe I have with the Windows Phone audio is no separate audio control for music like the iPhone. One thing I noticed with the 920 is that the sounds are lower so you have to turn up the volume louder. On my 920 I have to turn the volume up to 20. So far the equalizer and dolby headphone sound better than my old Samsung Focus which sucked for music playback.

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh no:/ I'm at 7/8 volume on my iPhone. Does this mean that the 920 doesn't support this much gain?

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
the sound quality is pretty comparable. I don't know exactly what sound card is used in the Nokia 920, but I know that the 4s's is top of the line. On the other hand, the music player is just terrible in comparison to ios's.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder which performs better. Can an audiophile please tell me which phone provide better sound quality? Also comment on the high, mids and lows. I think the 8X have a strong mids and lows. I've heard that the 8X has an additional amplifier. The 920 doesn't, and is not loud enough at highest volume. I believe that Beats is just gimmicky.
I'm currently using an iPhone4s. I'm using a Westone 3. It sounds quite amazing with the iPhone4s actually. :)

I would answer 8x Beats > iphone4s > 920 Dolby. The Dolby Headphone is great for movie listening. Not so great for quality audiophile music listening. The only device I haven't listened to is the 8x (Beats), but I would bet that the added amp gets a bit more loudness without distortion over all others.

With my (now sold) iPhone, I would always hook up my portable FiiO DAC/Amp using the LOD connector.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
My guess is they all are pretty bad due to bad DACs. Phone manufacturers seem to put 0 effort into using good DACs inside their smartphones, no amp or EQ can ever fix that. That said I think they will all be about the same.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4 before I got my new Lumia 920 a couple of days ago. Comparing both, by listening with my Beats Studio headphones, I can say that both, the iPhone and Lumia 920 are having a good quality sound (for smartphones).

I was satisfied with the iPhone and I am satisfied with the Lumia 920 now! :)

I am not an audiophile, just a normal user who likes listening to music. Unfortunately I haven't tried my Beats Studios with an HTC 8X, reckon it would sound best with this phone though..

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just when I thought Dolby headphones would provide the best sound quality:/ guess I'll have to use external amps

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
with my Beats Studio headphones

tumblr_m3j072ZKJ71qih065o1_1280.png

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Rule 1: post processing might do good on video, but is NEVER good on audio. So for music it's better leaving all Dolby something, Beats something, Blah something off.
Rule 2: there are absolutely no mobile phones for audiophiles as of today. Some might have a bit more noise, some a bit less, some a flatter frequency response... but never a really good sound output.

I had an iPhone 3GS, 4S, Lumia 800 and now a Lumia 920. Sound quality wise, the 3GS is behind but the others are quite similar (the Lumia 800 was really bad before the last firmware update thou). You can reach higher volumes with the 4S, but I never pass the 80% mark anyways.

Never tried the 8X, having a dedicated dac/amp there *might* help, in theory. I still think whenever audio quality is involved, size matters, and you can't do much magic with such small components.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
On a more serious note I have noticed that the beats audio in the 8X has increased the volume and the quality of the bass a small amount - coming from an HTC HD7 i used to have the volume at 25 and that was just about bearable without any distortion with the beats audio enabled on the 8X i get the same volume at 20 but the bass is lower and better quality. Cant compare it to the 920 or the iphone as i havent got either. Should be able to do an 8X - 920 comparison towards the end of the week when one of my colleagues picks up his 920

Oktay Gardener

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am currently expecting my Lumia 920, and will do a review of this when I get it.

I am currently using iPhone 4S with my Monster Dr. Dre Studio Headphones, where the sound is fine.

The iPhone's equaliser does NOT work with ANY other app except with the native iOS music app. So I have a question. For the Lumia 920, does the equaliser work on other apps except the native music app?

I also got my brand new Nokia-Monster HD headphones which I'll review later, but from what I have heard so far, the Dr. Dre ones are abit better tbh - just know that the cord for the Nokia ones makes the iPhone go beserk, it shifts the volume up and down, noisy sounds come up and down etc, so I had to use my Dr. Dre cord for my iPhone 4S.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why, why, why people keep buying Beats headphones!?!?!?!?!?

What am I missing here!?

I know what you mean i tried a set of Beats out and couldn't tell the difference in quality to a set of Skull Candy Hesh. Beats were ?250 Skull Candy's were ?50 reduced to ?35 - No Brainer.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Why do people buy any designer brand?

Well I kinda understand (doesn't mean that I agree) if someone spends **** loads with clothes for example, because their main selling point is status, fashion, etc. So you get the status, fair enough.

But I missed the day in which headphones started being a fashion accessory. And even IF they would be just that, accessories, I don't think all these people with any of the Beats range bought these phones just because they are supposed to look good. I've seen people buying one because they really thought they were "high fidelity".

And it brings us to the point: marketing is geniusly evil!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)