Rogers Lumia 920 (Second Batch) - Locked or Unlocked?

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have to call their customer care or are they supposed to unlock it in the store? I tried two stores and they wouldn't do it.

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I finally got this thing unlocked but with all that I had to do and the hassle Rogers put me through I'm never going to go through this again. For any Canadians that want to unlock it and use it on another network this is what I had to go through:

- Bought the phone out of contract for $599 at a Best Buy mobilty store to use with Bell. Was told that I could unlock it by calling Rogers for a $50 fee

- Tried two websites to unlock it and they said it wasn't in the database so they couldn't. Tried a local guy and he couldn't do it either

- Went to a Rogers affiliate store and they referred me to another local phone unlocker. Went to the Rogers Plus store and they also referred me to another local unlocker. Called Rogers to tell them I wanted to unlock it and they said I couldn't

- Called Rogers again the next day and they said they could unlock it but I needed to have a Rogers account active with the $50 fee. Went to a Rogers store to open up a Pay and Go account which required me to pay $10 for the account and $10 for a microSIM

- Opened up the Rogers account, put in $50 credit and called to unlock. Spent an hour on the phone with them telling me they couldn't find my IMEI code and bounced around from technician to technician

- Then they tell me that the fee is $50 + tax so I had to put another $10 into the account since they only allow $10 increments and finally after an hour an a half on the phone I get it unlocked

Then my local unlocker tells me that in about two weeks the database is going to get updated and he could unlock it then. I spent $80 to unlock the phone and it was a horrible experience so beware fellow Canadians that want to do the same. Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to share my experience with others so hopefully they don't have to go through the same thing.

plink212

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
OK so I thought I would share my experience here.
I bought a 920 from a Rogers retailer in Metrotown Burnaby,BC last night.
It boots with a Rogers splash screen and says Nokia 920.3 RM - 820 Rogers on the box
The outright price was 599.99CAD + 12% HST= 671.99CAD
I went home and phoned Rogers who after some back and forth put me through to the retentions team.
They agreed that the unlock would be possible as I had bought the handset outright and that the unlock fee would be 50CAD+HST
However they advised that they do not have any method of taking payment for the unlock other than charging an account. They advised the easiest way to do this would be to buy a prepay sim and top up 60CAD
I then went back to the Rogers shop to buy a prepay sim and was charged
95CAD + 12% HST=106.40CAD
10CAD for SIM
25CAD for Activation
60CAD for Topup
I then trekked back home and got back through the Rogers phone system to get to the retentions team who did the unlock there and then on the phone.
Total cost including tax
778.39 CAD

Now just need to work out if the software can be changed to stock so that I am not dependent on Rogers for software updates.

FatBruno

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wasnt a Rogers customer before, bought the phone full price with month to month. Called them cancelled my account and got unlocked the phone for 50$ but stupid enought i didnt write down the code to unlock it. if i reset to factory will it lock it back?

PS: it does indeed take 1 hour on the phone, you get to 4-5 department.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone who purchased a Lumia 920 from rogers this week confirm whether or not the 920 comes locked or unlocked. I am aware the first batch last week was unlocked but haven't heard of this second batch coming locked or unlocked.

I called a few corporate stores, none had it in my area, but called a small rogers plus booth in a mall believe it or not and they told me they just received stock.

They told me it came locked, but I am not convinced as they probably would have said that for the last batch as well.

Hoping someone can clarify for me and others wondering, thanks!

I bought mine on Friday (17th), in Ottawa @ College Square/Baseline. The dude said I was lucky and it was the last one left. Here is the image on the box. http://i.imgur.com/cRHNP.png

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Someone from Howardforum said that he succeed to put Fido to work with the Roger. I just wonder if the device is locked, how it possible for him to put a Fido sim to get it work. Unless he was talking about his device being unlocked. Can you confirm this?

Fido is owned by Rogers and runs on the same network. You don't need to unlock a Rogers device for Fido.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
One thing to add ... You NEED to have a Rogers account in order to unlock the phone! I'm a Bell customer, bought the 920 from Rogers full price ($599), called Rogers and they said I needed to be a Rogers customer in order to unlock it ..

I just had a friend call for me who has an account and it was fine (although it did take nearly 2hrs worth of bouncing around departments.. I left Rogers a couple years ago due to this insanity and it's clear Rogers still hasn't figured out what they are doing)..

So $650 all in, I have an unlocked Lumia 920 which I'm really happy with! This thing really feels great in the hand.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It boots with a Rogers splash screen and says Nokia 920.3 RM - 820 Rogers on the box
I went home and phoned Rogers who after some back and forth put me through to the retentions team.
They agreed that the unlock would be possible as I had bought the handset outright and that the unlock fee would be 50CAD+HST
However they advised that they do not have any method of taking payment for the unlock other than charging an account. They advised the easiest way to do this would be to buy a prepay sim and top up 60CAD
10CAD for SIM
25CAD for Activation
60CAD for Topup
I then trekked back home and got back through the Rogers phone system to get to the retentions team who did the unlock there and then on the phone.
Total cost including tax
778.39 CAD

Now just need to work out if the software can be changed to stock so that I am not dependent on Rogers for software updates.

Damn... Now those factory unlocked 920s for $800 on eBay don't look so bad... $22+shipping to avoid all that AND get a choice of colors?! Where do I sign up?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
They did tell me if I unlocked from outside of Rogers the warranty would be void.. Not sure how accurate that is though..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That is universally true of carrier-locked devices. Unlocking=no warranty. Since the carrier is the seller, they provide the warranty.

zeee143

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That is universally true of carrier-locked devices. Unlocking=no warranty. Since the carrier is the seller, they provide the warranty.
hi,i went to Microsoft store at yorkdale just to buy this phone,stood in line for 3 hours,store opned bought the phone nokia lumia 920 is locked to rogers and about the date its made by 44th week of 2012 thas what it says next to IMEI , I am with windmobile and bought this phone to use it with windmobile.micro soft charged me 525+tax and $99for 2 year accidental damage insurance that covers 2 time replacement of the hand set in case of damage.(any kinda damage),phone came with a rogers sim card in a pacakage and now all this headache to go thru rogers any help? what I should do with this need new micro sim card from windmobile or I should get it cut the current one to micro sim and tell my friend who is with rogers to call for me and I will pay him cash the $50 the roger gona rob me for.....or I should return the who thing and buy a some other phone from wind on their tab some thing like Samsung galaxy note 2, cuz my htc sensation 4g from t mobile I had it with windmobile is water damaged and I have no phone to use now and this unlock code is not there to get that easy,cellphone unlock.net says they do unlock the nokia lumia 920 from rogers for $15 but some one here at this website told us that they could not unlock his nokia lumia 920 ....sooo much headache.....( and btw the microsfot store lists the nokia lumia 920 for $599 then price matched with rogers price and $25 for a coupon card they gave me for being in the line up)

Last edited:

zeee143

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
if some one wants any info about the nokia lumia 920 phone itself or the box info it cam with feel free to ask.by the way why the **** those cell phone unlock . net ppl have that thing saying guaranteed unlock and still they can,t unlock.....or they just trying steal customer information or what?

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
hi,i went to Microsoft store at yorkdale just to buy this phone,stood in line for 3 hours,store opned bought the phone nokia lumia 920 is locked to rogers and about the date its made by 44th week of 2012 thas what it says next to IMEI , I am with windmobile and bought this phone to use it with windmobile.micro soft charged me 525+tax and $99for 2 year accidental damage insurance that covers 2 time replacement of the hand set in case of damage.(any kinda damage),phone came with a rogers sim card in a pacakage and now all this headache to go thru rogers any help? what I should do with this need new micro sim card from windmobile or I should get it cut the current one to micro sim and tell my friend who is with rogers to call for me and I will pay him cash the $50 the roger gona rob me for.....or I should return the who thing and buy a some other phone from wind on their tab some thing like Samsung galaxy note 2, cuz my htc sensation 4g from t mobile I had it with windmobile is water damaged and I have no phone to use now and this unlock code is not there to get that easy,cellphone unlock.net says they do unlock the nokia lumia 920 from rogers for $15 but some one here at this website told us that they could not unlock his nokia lumia 920 ....sooo much headache.....( and btw the microsfot store lists the nokia lumia 920 for $599 then price matched with rogers price and $25 for a coupon card they gave me for being in the line up)

No offence, but, you don't expect people to read this and attempt to actually comprehend it do you?

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
if some one wants any info about the nokia lumia 920 phone itself or the box info it cam with feel free to ask.by the way why the **** those cell phone unlock . net ppl have that thing saying guaranteed unlock and still they can,t unlock.....or they just trying steal customer information or what?

Probably.. There are so many scam places out there right now.. It's infuriating!

Razdek

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
10CAD for SIM
25CAD for Activation
60CAD for Topup
Total cost including tax
778.39 CAD

That's what I had to do and after all that time and money I may still return the phone. I'm not sure all this effort was worth it as internet sharing and MMS doesn't seem to work with Bell.

iskoisko

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
can somebody in Canada buy me a Rogers Nokia Lumia 920 and have it unlocked? I'm in the US and want to use the unlocked Rogers with T-Mobile. and want the phone badly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)